Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the club will be having a final crack at flag this year before the next wave of retirements comes from our older guys. I don't think they'll be playing many young guys unless they play so well they demand a spot in the AFL side. I fear a wasted year in 2022 again.

So this is the side I see playing next season:

B: Stewart, Blicavs, Bews
HB: O'Connor, Henry, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Selwood, Smith
HF: Higgins, Cameron, Rohan
F: Dangerfield, Hawkins, Esava
Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, Narkle
I/C: C. Guthrie, Simpson, Dalhaus, Menegola

Our weakness is still our midfield and its slowness. I know Parfitt and Narkle are unlikely as rovers, but until we see some form next year I can't really decide who deserves the roles. Maybe we'll see some fresh blood in there from our draft, but unlikely.
Ceglar will be there, I am sure of it.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the club will be having a final crack at flag this year before the next wave of retirements comes from our older guys. I don't think they'll be playing many young guys unless they play so well they demand a spot in the AFL side. I fear a wasted year in 2022 again.

So this is the side I see playing next season:

B: Stewart, Blicavs, Bews
HB: O'Connor, Henry, Tuohy
C: Duncan, Selwood, Smith
HF: Higgins, Cameron, Rohan
F: Dangerfield, Hawkins, Esava
Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, Narkle
I/C: C. Guthrie, Simpson, Dalhaus, Menegola

Our weakness is still our midfield and its slowness. I know Parfitt and Narkle are unlikely as rovers, but until we see some form next year I can't really decide who deserves the roles. Maybe we'll see some fresh blood in there from our draft, but unlikely.

That back line scares me with their disposal use. Tuohy is actually a pretty good user but only if he gets in plenty of space.
I really think we need to give some other players a go in the back half next year. De Koning is unknown at this stage but we need another young Cam Guthrie to shine and provide some excellent decision making to help out Stewart who is our best user.

Worried a few of the older players are going to be humiliated by fresher and younger teams. We were terribly exposed in the finals. Even GWS turned the tide on our midfield in the final quarter and they were heavily undermanned. Narkle & Stephens would be welcomed additions to an already slow and ageing midfield.

Thanks that's all I could get too. I think the original had a bit more of an interview where they talked about how this was his second try at the surgery etc
I can remember reading a couple of articles about it, including one after he had had the surgery & before the season started

I read it as being a case that there was awareness he had an underlying issue or area of concern, but they couldn't pinpoint the cause. Obviously they worked through things, were able to find out the health concern and went about the best option to correct things

It came across as something that he didn't to want to make a big deal about or focus of, rather he was more matter of fact about it and that following recovery it was time to get on with football

I can remember reading a couple of articles about it, including one after he had had the surgery & before the season started

I read it as being a case that there was awareness he had an underlying issue or area of concern, but they couldn't pinpoint the cause. Obviously they worked through things, were able to find out the health concern and went about the best option to correct things

It came across as something that he didn't to want to make a big deal about or focus of, rather he was more matter of fact about it and that following recovery it was time to get on with football
Sounds like Cam Guthrie

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Miers & Ratugolea can be such exciting players. I hope this year is the one where they both can breakout. It’s more likely to be Henry but most of us already think he’s awesome.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Miers & Ratugolea can be such exciting players. I hope this year is the one where they both can breakout. It’s more likely to be Henry but most of us already think he’s awesome.

i honestly doubt that Esava will get heaps of games, with ceglar and Stanley taking the ruck duties, tomahawk and Cameron playing up forward.if one of them gets injured Esava will be next in line .

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
i honestly doubt that Esava will get heaps of games, with ceglar and Stanley taking the ruck duties, tomahawk and Cameron playing up forward.if one of them gets injured Esava will be next in line .
Is Ceglar better player than Stanley? If so then we’re better off just dropping Rhys. Why would you want to risk losing a guy in his mid 20’s over two guys who never stood out as great rucks and are average players at best? It’d be no different to picking up another Gary Rohan to keep a guy like Miers out.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Ceglar better player than Stanley? If so then we’re better off just dropping Rhys. Why would you want to risk losing a guy in his mid 20’s over two guys who never stood out as great rucks and are average players at best? It’d be no different to picking up another Gary Rohan to keep a guy like Miers out.

we might have to wait and see with ceglar, but isn’t anything better then Stanley 😝

Ps: I am not the biggest Rhys Stanley fan

I think one of the things I'm really excited about is seeing sav play a well defined and understood position week in week out in the vfl where he can play around with it, experiment, improve. I think he could make some serious progress if he could smash some low hanging fruit.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
I think one of the things I'm really excited about is seeing sav play a well defined and understood position week in week out in the vfl where he can play around with it, experiment, improve. I think he could make some serious progress if he could smash some low hanging fruit.

100%, Sav will tear it up in the VFL simply because he’s an AFL player! It concerns me If he isn’t getting enough game time he may walk out like Clark and Krueger. But I think he’s loyal

my one wish is that junior Guthrie doesn’t get any games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%, Sav will tear it up in the VFL simply because he’s an AFL player! It concerns me If he isn’t getting enough game time he may walk out like Clark and Krueger. But I think he’s loyal

my one wish is that junior Guthrie doesn’t get any games!
Sav will be a walk up start after Hawkins retires, which could be end of this year.

Zuth actually got a bit better this year. We've come this far may as well see what he does with an earned spot.

I think heaps of random kids will get games this year in all sides. One player gets a positive and they're out for two weeks. Can't see them flipping schedules and moving games unless the side was genuinely going to forfeit

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Overall I see us still making finals this year, the old man isn’t too confident and reckons I’ll time has come.

im thinking 5th place and bombed out second round by an Essendon (even the dees).
What bout you guys? Where do you think we will place?

Overall I see us still making finals this year, the old man isn’t too confident and reckons I’ll time has come.

im thinking 5th place and bombed out second round by an Essendon (even the dees).
It would be nice to lose another prelim but not sure we'll make it that far

About 7th or 8th, and we may win one final before bowing out.

Larry Donohue

Premium Platinum
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
LIKELY TEAM

Henry Blicavs Bews
Duncan SDK Stewart
Menegola Guthrie Smith
Rohan Hawkins Close
Stengle Cameron Miers
Stanley O'Connor Dangerfield
Ceglar Selwood Parfitt Tuohy
Kolo Narkle Higgins Holmes

What I'd like to see

Henry Blicavs Bews
Tuohy SDK Stewart
Holmes Duncan Smith
Danger Hawkins Evans
Miers Cameron Stengle
Stanley Guthrie O'Connor
Stephens Parfitt Selwood Ceglar
Narkle Ratagolea Menegola Close

6 goalkicking forwards
No_one in the team on social media re lovers
Solid defense around SDK
Make Guthrie and Duncan responsible for drive
A quicker midfield with more rotation
9 younger players to enthuse the dinosaurs

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Not going to list best 22, but here's what I hope to see...

• 20+ games plus hopefully finals from Cameron, Dangerfield and Duncan... all who were sorely missed for long periods last year
  • Stengle to play round 1 and hopefully hold his spot all year
  • Holmes to play round 1 and hopefully hold his spot all year
  • De Koning to play round 1 and get a chance to lock down Henderson's former role
  • 2-4 senior games given to a handful of young players ie Stephens, Knevitt, maybe Neale or Willis
  • Higgins and Dahlhaus as 'break glass in case of emergency' options and spend majority of the year in the VFL

Not going to list best 22, but here's what I hope to see...

• 20+ games plus hopefully finals from Cameron, Dangerfield and Duncan... all who were sorely missed for long periods last year
  • Stengle to play round 1 and hopefully hold his spot all year
  • Holmes to play round 1 and hopefully hold his spot all year
  • De Koning to play round 1 and get a chance to lock down Henderson's former role
  • 2-4 senior games given to a handful of young players ie Stephens, Knevitt, maybe Neale or Willis
  • Higgins and Dahlhaus as 'break glass in case of emergency' options and spend majority of the year in the VFL
Agree with all- I'd like to add Kroeger to those players that may get a tryout- he is a talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back