Opinion Best team 2022

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree... but remember Chris Scott likes to continue keep playing his favourites....
Tbh if Ceglar not fit round 1, I'd love us to give Neale a crack, got nothing to loose playing him over Esava...
It's ok Hocking told him he needs to play some kids or your out the door, good story lol, but i think he will

Pavlovs Cat

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwood, Aston Villa
The only way Sav is in our best 22 is if we become injury ravaged. The more I see him, the surer I become that he will not make it. If we are banking on him being our Hawkins replacement then he needs a full season in the VFL to hone his craft to at least give him the best opportunity to carve out a career.

Correct. Bloke appears to be going backwards. Hopefully a spell in the magoos gives him some confidence and a chance to learn the craft. If he ever developed towards the glimpses of potential he showed pre-injury we would have an exciting player. Unfortunately the poor games are starting to rack up.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 1 team considering injuries:

HB. Bews. Blicavs. SDK
HB. Stewart. Henry. Zuthrie
C. Duncan. Danger. Smith
Hf. Close. Cameron. Selwood
Ff. Stengle. Hawkins. Evans
Foll. Stanley. Guthrie. Parfitt
Int Ceglar. Holmes. Kolo. O’Connor

Emg. Stephens. Narkle. Touhy. Atkins

Injured/unavailable: Rohan. Menegola. Miers.

Do it.

Last edited:

HB. Bews. Blicavs. SDK
C. Duncan. Danger. Smith

Do it.

Like it.....just Ceglar likely out ...so Sav might get another chance (or Neale though he might not be ready) and Stephens in for O'Connor who also might not be ready after an interrupted pre-season.

I really hope Stephens gets a run.

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

HB. Bews. Blicavs. SDK
C. Duncan. Danger. Smith

Do it.

Like it.....just Ceglar likely out ...so Sav might get another chance (or Neale though he might not be ready) and Stephens in for O'Connor who also might not be ready after an interrupted pre-season.

I really hope Stephens gets a run.

I thought the whole point of a best 22 is that it ignores injuries. Otherwise it's just a team that would be selected for the next match, which can go into that game's thread.

I thought the whole point of a best 22 is that it ignores injuries. Otherwise it's just a team that would be selected for the next match, which can go into that game's thread.

If you look at the team named, the poster does specify it's a round 1 team & taking injuries into consideration

While noting that Rohan, Miers & Menegola are unavailable due to injury, it may also be worth having a question mark over Duncan, O'Connor, Ceglar & Bews due to injury & concussion concerns around them

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
Hi Folks,
Just wondering what is happening with Sam Simpson. Has he fallen out of favour?
Cheers.

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If you look at the team named, the poster does specify it's a round 1 team & taking injuries into consideration

In that case, the post(s) is/are irrelevant to the thread which has the title "Best team 2022". The discussion of a possible team for the round 1 match against Essendon belongs in that game's thread: Preview - Rd 1 Geelong v Essendon Sat March 19 2:10 pm MCG

The whole idea of the "best 22" concept is to ignore injuries. To make allowances for injuries renders the entire "best 22" concept redundant.

In that case, the post(s) is/are irrelevant to the thread which has the title "Best team 2022". The discussion of a possible team for the round 1 match against Essendon belongs in that game's thread: Preview - Rd 1 Geelong v Essendon Sat March 19 2:10 pm MCG

The whole idea of the "best 22" concept is to ignore injuries. To make allowances for injuries renders the entire "best 22" concept redundant.

I understand what you're saying in regards to a "best 22" concept, but not sure allowing for injuries makes the concept redundant, especially when the focus is on a specific season

Devil's advocate here - Mitch Duncan is best 22 (not sure anyone would argue), but if he did a season ending injury, realistically is he still in the frame as a best 22 option for season 2022?

Injuries are a reality of sport, making allowances for them when discussing the best 22 doesn't need to make a best 22 discussion redundant; instead it can keep the discussion relevant & at the forefront as you adjust the best 22 based on availablity & best combination of players

We then also need to keep in mind though that when posted, it was prior to the Rnd1 preview thread being opened and this was the best fit for their point. It's also not the first point in this thread looking specifically at a potential Rnd1 team, with a bit of discussion on that over the past week or so

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

HB. Bews. Blicavs. SDK
C. Duncan. Danger. Smith

Do it.
I don't mind it. Prefer to only have 1 defender on the interchange as I consider O'Connor a defender. Is there room for both SDK and Kolo in the same team? Also Parfitt is not good enough for a starting midfield position. Will be interesting to see how Ceglar and Stanley are managed

Wouldn’t mind seeing a squad mentality approach this season. I don’t think it’s ever truly been done. Selwood, Touhy, smith, Higgins, Stanley, menongola, Duncan , Dangerfield and even Hawkins to play less than 20 games and even only 15-16 for some of them.
Simpson, Narkle and Holmes should be given a chance as we need youth and zest.
Sav was down back against Gold Coast for a bit. Certainly last chance saloon for him and zuthrie.
Looks much the same unfortunately so I can’t see much of a game plan shift when out best players are all north of 30.
Let’s see…

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn’t mind seeing a squad mentality approach this season. I don’t think it’s ever truly been done. Selwood, Touhy, smith, Higgins, Stanley, menongola, Duncan , Dangerfield and even Hawkins to play less than 20 games and even only 15-16 for some of them.
Simpson, Narkle and Holmes should be given a chance as we need youth and zest.
Sav was down back against Gold Coast for a bit. Certainly last chance saloon for him and zuthrie.
Looks much the same unfortunately so I can’t see much of a game plan shift when out best players are all north of 30.
Let’s see…

Theoretically not a terrible idea. At least for some players. I don't think the game really allows part time players, but some of the veterans perhaps.

The problems are though, players get paid per game, and would have targets. So no one is going to put their hand up to miss games (and therefore money).
Scott would have incentives as would the other coaches. Play it safe (both at selection and gameplan), beat the rubbish teams at Geelong, get to 15-16 wins and finals, or take risks and potentially lose a few more. Miss targets, lose bonuses. Won't happen.

The most unpleasant reality is that even at full strength we may not be that good. Even ignoring the horrible finals efforts, we lost two of our last three at Geelong. Haven't done that since 2003. Haven't looked at the last time we lost 4 of our last 6 games. But that's how we finished last year. So there's no guarantee we're going to effortlessly make top 4 again, or even finals. All those veterans are now another six months older, and we'll have three more 30+ year olds by September.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Time for an update of opinions. This is my current best 22 -

B: Bews, De Koning, Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolojashnij, Duncan
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Holmes
HF: Close, Cameron, Tuohy
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Miers

Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, C.Guthrie

Int: Selwood, Blicavs, Stephens, Atkins

Miers is hanging on by a thin thread. Could consider Evans, Higgins, Narkle, Dahlhaus for that last spot. The rest look to pick themselves. Atkins vs O’Connor possibly the other contentious selection but Atkins gets it atm.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
FB Henry De Koning O'Connor
HB Duncan Kolodjashnij Stewart
C Tuohy Guthrie Blicavs
HF Smith Cameron Close
FF Stengle Hawkins Rohan
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Parfitt
Int Z.Guthrie Selwood Menegola Holmes

Changes from my last team
In: Kolodjashnij Selwood
Out: Ceglar Narkle

Blicavs is wasted as a KPD, adds way too much value as a 2nd Ruck and as a marking option between the arc, his existence is a mismatch for oppositions, while as a KPD is no different from any other lockdown KPD. I like Kolodjashnij more as a KPD then as a lockdown a mid sized forward. Against a mid sized forward you can limit them by being a threat yourself, which he can't do but as a KPD your opponent is going to be leading that dance.

Inside mid group is still shallow, Selwood back in because he has held back the decline a little longer, and we have no other established options, be ballsy to pick a kid. Z.Guthrie and O'Conner over Bews, as I don't value purely lockdown smalls. O'Connor at least has the flexibility to go on the ball which the team as named might need. When he is on Z.Guthrie seems to be magnet for intercept marks, just seems to find the right places.

Time for an update of opinions. This is my current best 22 -

B: Bews, De Koning, Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolojashnij, Duncan
C: Smith, Dangerfield, Holmes
HF: Close, Cameron, Tuohy
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Miers

Foll: Stanley, Parfitt, C.Guthrie

Int: Selwood, Blicavs, Stephens, Atkins

Miers is hanging on by a thin thread. Could consider Evans, Higgins, Narkle, Dahlhaus for that last spot. The rest look to pick themselves. Atkins vs O’Connor possibly the other contentious selection but Atkins gets it atm.
If we’re including injured players then Menegola is in my side without question.

Atkins is now safely inside our best 18. No longer 21st or 22nd picked.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If we’re including injured players then Menegola is in my side without question.

Atkins is now safely inside our best 18. No longer 21st or 22nd picked.

Just based on current form/output. Menegola hasn’t been on the park so I didn’t consider him. Same with Ceglar or Rohan. They hopefully come into consideration later in the season.

At this stage I’d have:

B: Bews Blicavs Zuthrie
HB: Stewart Henry Tuohy
C: Duncan Parfitt Smith
HF: Miers Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Guthrie Dangerfield
Int: Selwood Ratugolea Higgins Holmes
Em (from): Ceglar Rohan Atkins De Koning Narkle Kolo Evans

I’d have Zuthrie ahead of Kolo at this stage but not sure they will go that way.

Not sure how De Koning fits but he obviously should and will get games.

I never want to see Rohan again but that’s not going to happen.

Atkins will play but he’s a 🥔
From my March effort I’d have:

In: Atkins, De Koning
Out: Zuthrie, Ratugolea

Arguably Kolo deserves a spot more than Henry on 2022 output.

Miers’ spot is ripe for the taking.

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
B: O'Connor De Koning Bews
HB: Tuohy Kolo Stewart
C: Duncan CGuthrie Menegola
HF: Smith Cameron Parfitt
F: Close Hawkins Stengle
R: Ceglar Dangerfield Selwood
I: Blicavs Henry Atkins ZGuthrie

Time for a review -

B: Bews, De Koning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Henry, Duncan
C: Smith, Parfitt, Menegola
HF: Tuohy, Cameron, Close
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Selwood

Int: Blicavs, Holmes, Atkins, Dangerfield

Thats probably our best 22 talent wise but kolo will stay in for structure (ie we are too short on options for key forwards otherwise) and so he gets zuthries spot.

Other than that i agree i dont see any other options for the 2nd ruck role so blitz has to stay there (which keeps kolo in) and rohan needs a good couple of weeks or you could put miers or moc in for him but the rest of the side picks itself.

Miers or moc to be sub, stephens is unlucky but his inability to play anywhere other than inside mid costs him the last spot but he is a good emergency to have if joel or patrick go down. Likewise higgins and dahl decent depth in the vfl if we need them. Need ceglar to get fit so we have a depth option if stanley goes down, im hoping dekoning stays fit otherwise our only option would be to put blitz to FB and sav to R2 and i dont trust sav in a final.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Thats probably our best 22 talent wise but kolo will stay in for structure (ie we are too short on options for key forwards otherwise) and so he gets zuthries spot.

Other than that i agree i dont see any other options for the 2nd ruck role so blitz has to stay there (which keeps kolo in) and rohan needs a good couple of weeks or you could put miers or moc in for him but the rest of the side picks itself.

Miers or moc to be sub, stephens is unlucky but his inability to play anywhere other than inside mid costs him the last spot but he is a good emergency to have if joel or patrick go down. Likewise higgins and dahl decent depth in the vfl if we need them. Need ceglar to get fit so we have a depth option if stanley goes down, im hoping dekoning stays fit otherwise our only option would be to put blitz to FB and sav to R2 and i dont trust sav in a final.
We still haven’t had a full list to choose from all year. And possibly won’t for the rest of it too. But I reckon that’s our best 22.

I’d be trying Rohan down back in the same role as O’Connor/Kolo. He’s good overhead, a better mark and has much better speed. Worth a try. He then becomes that other option to cover the back six I named.

I think we need to go heavy on mids in our team. Moreso than we have been. That’s the area we’ll get done in so stands to reason we put extra reinforcements there. Adding Parfitt and a fit Dangerfield to the 22 that ran out yesterday would help a lot. Stephens is probably a year too early to get a guaranteed game.

Back