Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats probably our best 22 talent wise but kolo will stay in for structure (ie we are too short on options for key forwards otherwise) and so he gets zuthries spot.

Other than that i agree i dont see any other options for the 2nd ruck role so blitz has to stay there (which keeps kolo in) and rohan needs a good couple of weeks or you could put miers or moc in for him but the rest of the side picks itself.

Miers or moc to be sub, stephens is unlucky but his inability to play anywhere other than inside mid costs him the last spot but he is a good emergency to have if joel or patrick go down. Likewise higgins and dahl decent depth in the vfl if we need them. Need ceglar to get fit so we have a depth option if stanley goes down, im hoping dekoning stays fit otherwise our only option would be to put blitz to FB and sav to R2 and i dont trust sav in a final.

I agree Kolo likely stays in, but he’s infuriating at times.

I don’t really buy into Kolo needing to be there for structure though. Realistically we’ve been fine without Henry down back the past couple months. So you could easily just swap Henry for Kolo and maintain the same structure we’ve essentially played all year whilst improving our 22

I agree Kolo likely stays in, but he’s infuriating at times.

I don’t really buy into Kolo needing to be there for structure though. Realistically we’ve been fine without Henry down back the past couple months. So you could easily just swap Henry for Kolo and maintain the same structure we’ve essentially played all year whilst improving our 22

If you look at the fact that we are playing blitz for over 50 %of the game upfield and the fact that our likely finals opponents have the following kpfs
Brown-mcdonald-jackson
Mckay-curnow-tdk (if pittonet is back)
Franklin-reid-mcdonald
Daniher-hipwood-mcstay
Lobb-taberner

Im not comfortable taking in only dek and henry as tall marking options thats asking for trouble which is why kolo stays as he can lock thoseguys down.
He needs to be banned from trying to switch play by foot though-kick up the line only.

We still haven’t had a full list to choose from all year. And possibly won’t for the rest of it too. But I reckon that’s our best 22.

I’d be trying Rohan down back in the same role as O’Connor/Kolo. He’s good overhead, a better mark and has much better speed. Worth a try. He then becomes that other option to cover the back six I named.

I think we need to go heavy on mids in our team. Moreso than we have been. That’s the area we’ll get done in so stands to reason we put extra reinforcements there. Adding Parfitt and a fit Dangerfield to the 22 that ran out yesterday would help a lot. Stephens is probably a year too early to get a guaranteed game.

True it depends on injuries and we have mostly depth to cover that.
Rohan is an interesting idea-we did do it briefly when stewart went off injured earlier in the year and i agree he would give us the extra marking power but we would want to trial it soon (ie next week) cant be doing it cold in a final.

Agree midfield depth is our key problem other than ruck/kpd but other than stephens the other depth options are non mids so we just need to go with as many mids in your 22 as possible and hope it holds up.

Time for a review -

B: Bews, De Koning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, Henry, Duncan
C: Smith, Parfitt, Menegola
HF: Tuohy, Cameron, Close
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan
Foll: Stanley, C.Guthrie, Selwood
Int: Blicavs, Holmes, Atkins, Dangerfield

B: O'Connor De Koning Bews
HB: Tuohy Kolo Stewart
C: Duncan CGuthrie Menegola
HF: Smith Cameron Parfitt
F: Close Hawkins Stengle
R: Ceglar Dangerfield Selwood
I: Blicavs Henry Atkins ZGuthrie

Differences between my team and year of the cat's team:

Toe Poke: Kolo, O'Connor and Ceglar selected
year of the cat: Rohan, Holmes and Stanley selected

FB Henry De Koning Z.Guthrie
HB Duncan Kolodjashnij Stewart
C Blicavs Guthrie Tuohy
HF Smith Cameron Rohan
FF Close Hawkins Stengle
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Atkins
Int Bews Selwood Parfitt Menegola
Sub Dahlhaus

A team short of Defenders and Forwards

Bews De Koning Z Guthrie
Tuohy Stewart Atkins
Duncan C Guthrie Smith
Dangerfield Cameron Menegola
Close Hawkins Stengle
Blicavs Selwood Parfitt

Henry Holmes Ceglar Rohan

Z.Guthrie - De Konig- Bews
Stewart - Henry - Duncan
Menegola - C.Guthrie - Smith
Rohan - Cameron - Atkins
Close - Hawkins - Stengel
Foll. Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Int. Blicavs - Parfitt - Thouy - Kolo
Sub. Holmes

Tell me at the start of the season that de Konig and Zguthrie and Atkins would be amongst the first picked...

Last edited:
Z.Guthrie - De Konig- Bews
Stewart - Henry - Duncan
Menegola - C.Guthrie - Smith
Rohan - Cameron - Atkins
Close - Hawkins - Stengel
Foll. Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
Int. Blicavs - Parfitt - Thouy
Sub. Holmes

Tell me at the start of the season that de Konig and Zguthrie and Atkins would be amongst the first picked...
You only have 3 on the bench.

From my March effort I’d have:

In: Atkins, De Koning
Out: Zuthrie, Ratugolea

Arguably Kolo deserves a spot more than Henry on 2022 output.

Miers’ spot is ripe for the taking.
My May team was:

B: Bews Blicavs Atkins
HB: Stewart Henry Tuohy
C: Duncan Parfitt Smith
HF: Miers Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Guthrie Dangerfield
Int: Selwood De Koning Higgins Holmes
Em (from): Ceglar Rohan Zuthrie Narkle Kolo Evans

Rohan in for Higgins would be my only change to the 22. Stephens replaces Narkle in the emergencies.

My May team was:

B: Bews Blicavs Atkins
HB: Stewart Henry Tuohy
C: Duncan Parfitt Smith
HF: Miers Cameron Menegola
F: Stengle Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Guthrie Dangerfield
Int: Selwood De Koning Higgins Holmes
Em (from): Ceglar Rohan Zuthrie Narkle Kolo Evans

Rohan in for Higgins would be my only change to the 22. Stephens replaces Narkle in the emergencies.
giphy.gif

At this rate I'll need to pay to get it tattooed on most of the people on here.
Kolo. Is. A. Lock.

His last 6 matchups have been Riewoldt (0), Darling (0), Thillthorpe (0), Georgiades (0), Membrey (2), Treacle (0).
Said it to yotc and I'll say it to you. His brainfart turnovers that cost us from time to time mean SFA to me. The one on Saturday was a poor skill execution... As is 17 Geelong footballers not moving to make viable kick options.

He's beating his man. Which as we try and bed in an <20 game KPD has been much needed.
Will be needed in a week's time when SDK will have Brown for company and he'll have to stop Jackson/Weideman. Then probably gets Curnow the week after and Georgiades/Marshall the week after. That job isn't going to Henry.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Kolo. Is. A. Lock.

His last 6 matchups have been Riewoldt (0), Darling (0), Thillthorpe (0), Georgiades (0), Membrey (2), Treacle (0).
Said it to yotc and I'll say it to you. His brainfart turnovers that cost us from time to time mean SFA to me. The one on Saturday was a poor skill execution... As is 17 Geelong footballers not moving to make viable kick options.

He's beating his man. Which as we try and bed in an <20 game KPD has been much needed.
Will be needed in a week's time when SDK will have Brown for company and he'll have to stop Jackson/Weideman. Then probably gets Curnow the week after and Georgiades/Marshall the week after. That job isn't going to Henry.
It’s all very well to say that but who comes out of my 22?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

giphy.gif

Kolo. Is. A. Lock.

His “brainfarts” would have cost us a vital 4 points if it wasn’t for some late heroics by Atkins, Stengle and Henry. No one is denying his ability to defend but you can’t just conveniently ignore the clangers that cost us sorely. They are massive momentum shifters.

The worst aspect is that the guy doesn’t learn. It’s not the first, second or 10th time he’s been exposed by garbage 15 metre inside kicks where he’s either performed a skill error or couldn’t have telegraphed worse! There’s other basic errors where he panics under pressure.

He will be needed the next 4 weeks whilst Stewart is out. But he’s no lock in most watcher’s team. I’d be also trialing Rohan back to see how he goes. He’s played there in the past. He’s good overhead, would provide much needed run from the back 50 and hopefully without the rubbish we see from Kolo week in, week out.

giphy.gif

Kolo. Is. A. Lock.

No doubt he is completing his #1 task and role with aplomb. And that's what he's there to do - keeping his bloke goaless.

I also side with the suggestion that on occasion his MF dont' assist him by presenting well enough and it leads to ....

the absolute s**t show slew of costly turnovers and scores that result from it.

He has to know at this point that his skills are in the Domsy category with ball in hand and that long down the line even to a 1 on 2 against is better than a short floating lateral kick to a potential contest.

Its not worth dropping him for - but it cant just be accepted IMO

GO Catters

His “brainfarts” would have cost us a vital 4 points if it wasn’t for some late heroics by Atkins, Stengle and Henry. No one is denying his ability to defend but you can’t just conveniently ignore the clangers that cost us sorely. They are massive momentum shifters.
In a game of soccer where scores are extremely low this line of thinking most certainly has merit. One defensive blunder by a player can cost dearly. One easy miss at goal can also.

Bit of a long bow in Aussie Rules though. You could say the mistake that led to every other goal we conceded - whether it be a skill error, free kick or poor man marking - could be the error that nearly cost us victory if not for Atkins, Stengle and Henry. Every missed shot at goal from us equally as responsible. To pin it on one error in a game with thousand’s of ‘moments’ is being a bit biased imo.

He will be needed the next 4 weeks whilst Stewart is out. But he’s no lock in most watcher’s team. I’d be also trialing Rohan back to see how he goes. He’s played there in the past. He’s good overhead, would provide much needed run from the back 50 and hopefully without the rubbish we see from Kolo week in, week out

Nearly said it to you the last time we had a best 22 discussion but forgot. Likely only a paper exercise on BigFooty as we will always have players picking up niggles that keep them out for short periods. But if we get that list on paper all available at once I am still confident his name is on the MC’s teamsheet. His role is too important to be omitted, and his list spot competition for that role is non-existant.

No doubt he is completing his #1 task and role with aplomb. And that's what he's there to do - keeping his bloke goaless.

I also side with the suggestion that on occasion his MF dont' assist him by presenting well enough and it leads to ....

the absolute s**t show slew of costly turnovers and scores that result from it.

He has to know at this point that his skills are in the Domsy category with ball in hand and that long down the line even to a 1 on 2 against is better than a short floating lateral kick to a potential contest.

Its not worth dropping him for - but it cant just be accepted IMO

GO Catters
Finally someone with a critique of his weaknesses with a sensible response. Of course it isn’t drop worthy. He’s having a good season.

We need to find a better alternative to Kolodjashnij through draft or trade. You need to more than just a stopper in today's game.

giphy.gif

Kolo. Is. A. Lock.

I'm not doubting that he likely stays in the side; the MC like him. But people are allowed to disagree that he should be there.

Firstly, these days it's a little misleading to simply list an opponent and say he kept them goalless. Matchups often rotate throughout the game. So I wouldn't give him all the credit for that. The same way I don't hold him, or anyone else, directly accountable when someone does kick a goal

But the main point is that the names you've listed are 2nd or even 3rd forwards for those teams. These days you can't carry many purely defensive players. So if he was keeping Lynch goalless; Dixon or Marshall goalless; King goalless; Walker goalless, then that'd be fair enough. But he's not, so he should be better offensively with ball in hand or at least should be taking more intercept marks to help out whoever is playing on the number 1 forward.

I'm not doubting that he likely stays in the side; the MC like him. But people are allowed to disagree that he should be there.
Where have I said people can't agree with that? I've just voiced my view that their stance is incorrect IMO.
Firstly, these days it's a little misleading to simply list an opponent and say he kept them goalless. Matchups often rotate throughout the game. So I wouldn't give him all the credit for that. The same way I don't hold him, or anyone else, directly accountable when someone does kick a goal
Some of those games I was at and saw with my own eyes.

Was absolutely on Treacle, Georgiades and Riewoldt and Thillthorpe for most of those contests from what I saw.
But the main point is that the names you've listed are 2nd or even 3rd forwards for those teams. These days you can't carry many purely defensive players. So if he was keeping Lynch goalless; Dixon or Marshall goalless; King goalless; Walker goalless, then that'd be fair enough. But he's not, so he should be better offensively with ball in hand or at least should be taking more intercept marks to help out whoever is playing on the number 1 forward.
Should we undermine Cameron's goal tally, or that of Stengle?
I mean they're only playing on 2nd and 3rd defenders while Hawkins gets the best backman.
Dropping Kolo for a bad turnover across half back would be the same as dropping Hawkins for missing a set shot from 35m out all but directly in front of goal like he did on Saturday arvo. Ain't happening.
If that was the criteria Dangerfield would have been dropped for that 2017 QF performance v Richmond.

Where have I said people can't agree with that? I've just voiced my view that their stance is incorrect IMO.

Some of those games I was at and saw with my own eyes.

Was absolutely on Treacle, Georgiades and Riewoldt and Thillthorpe for most of those contests from what I saw.

Should we undermine Cameron's goal tally, or that of Stengle?
I mean they're only playing on 2nd and 3rd defenders while Hawkins gets the best backman.

If that was the criteria Dangerfield would have been dropped for that 2017 QF performance v Richmond.
Who the hell is Treacle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back