Opinion Best team 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, but the question is: what is our best 22? Not: who will be in the final 22 selected from a fit list by our Match Committee?

If I'm picking the backline tomorrow, it's Tuohy, De Koning, Stewart, Bews, Henry and Zuthrie, with Blicavs and Duncan as rotation options.
Kolo is a best 22 lock.

Kolo is a best 22 lock.
Hm. For me:

B: Bews, De Koning, Stewart
HB: Tuohy, Henry, Zuthrie
C: Duncan, Atkins, Smith
HF: Miers, Cameron, Close
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Stengle
R: Stanley, Guthrie, Dangerfield
INT: Selwood, Blicavs, Holmes, Parfitt

I think it comes down to picking one of: Kolo, Zuthrie, and O'Connor, and one of: Parfitt and Menegola. My pick is Zuthrie and Parfitt, but it's harsh any way.

Hm. For me:

I think it comes down to picking one of: Kolo, Zuthrie, and O'Connor, and one of: Parfitt and Menegola. My pick is Zuthrie and Parfitt, but it's harsh any way.
Agreed.
Is there a 23rd player? I seriously can't recall if we have 4 i/c plus a sub.
I like Tuohy as a sub anyway. Kolo is a natural lock down defender that is necessary in pressure finals- Tuohy is in good form, but I don't see him being a true defender, and apart from Bews and DeK, all our defenders are pretty attacking which is good but not necessarily accountable.

Agreed.
I like Tuohy as a sub anyway. Kolo is a natural lock down defender that is necessary in pressure finals- Tuohy is in good form, but I don't see him being a true defender, and apart from Bews and DeK, all our defenders are pretty attacking which is good but not necessarily accountable.
Zuthrie and Henry aren't that attacking. If anything, quite the opposite for Henry - he doesn't win a heap of the footy and most concentrates on lockign down.

Hm. For me:

I have Kolo ahead of Bews currently

Zuthrie and Henry aren't that attacking. If anything, quite the opposite for Henry - he doesn't win a heap of the footy and most concentrates on lockign down.
That's not the Henry I know. Good at reading the play, taking marks (ie winning the ball), using his pace and agility to dumbfound opposition and hurt teams on the offence.

Hm. For me:

That's my team, Zuthrie as sub. Just don't see the MC dropping Kolo which makes things more difficult.

Agreed.
Tuohy has been unbelievable all year. I'd suggest he'll finish top 10 in the bnf. He plays.

Agreed.
Touhy is a lock. Having one of his best years.

I can't even fathom the thought of Tuohy as sub in finals. He's a top 10 player for us, tough as nails and one of our best ball users. Would be one of the first picked IMO.
Touhy is a lock. Having one of his best years.
Tuohy has been unbelievable all year. I'd suggest he'll finish top 10 in the bnf. He plays.
I get it.

We have a lot of locks. Hope all the keys fit perfectly in September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Bews ~ De Koning ~ Kolo
HB: Stewart ~ Henry ~ Tuohy
C: Duncan ~ Dangerfield ~ Smith
HF: Rohan ~ Cameron ~ Holmes
FF: Close ~ Hawkins ~ Stengle
R: Stanley ~ C Guthrie ~ Atkins

INT: Selwood ~ Miers ~ Blicavs ~ Parfitt

Emergency: Menegola / O'Connor / Zuthrie

SUB: O'Connor or Menegola

So much flexibility with Tuohey, Henry, Duncan, Holmes, Atkins, Blicavs etc, all capable of playing various positions.

I personally would prefer Zuthrie in the team over Kolo. Kolo has had some awful finals performances (costly turnovers) whereas Zuthrie seems to perform well under pressure.

If Rohan doesn't perform in the first final then I'd say his days are done at Geelong. When he's crashing packs, taking marks, and doing those manic chase downs his role in the team is absolutely vital. He's more than capable of kicking 2-4 goals as well as creating goals due to his pressure. The big concern is his fitness coming into finals after not having a pre-season and missing several games. Hopefully we see his best.

Agreed.
And so is henry and dekonning And bews And oconnor. Blicavs and c.guthrie too if needed. So therefore kolo adds nothing special the team doesnt already have.

And so is henry and dekonning And bews And oconnor. Blicavs and c.guthrie too if needed. So therefore kolo adds nothing special the team doesnt already have.
MOC is a level below the rest.

SDK takes the big forward.

Bews takes smalls.

Guthrie and Blicavs are not lockdown defenders at all anymore and are required in other roles.

Henry and Kolo take the second/third forwards - talls or mediums. One has never replaced the other. And Henry is generally given more license to peel off.

MOC is a level below the rest.

SDK takes the big forward.

Bews takes smalls.

Guthrie and Blicavs are not lockdown defenders at all anymore and are required in other roles.

Henry and Kolo take the second/third forwards - talls or mediums. One has never replaced the other. And Henry is generally given more license to peel off.
kolo has taken smalls. Bews can do that.
kolo has taken talls. Dekonning and henry can do that.
guthrie and blicavs can do it if someone goes down and the role is so desperately important and required.

agree on oconnor. i drop him before kolo.

so basically you agree with me.

He's played into enough form for me that he's earned his spot easily, and I think it'll look different this year with the 4 runners in Miers, Stengle, Close, Rohan. No one has to do all the work.

If you play all 4 of them you probably have to leave zuthrie and oconor out though so its tough calls.

Chawkts is correct: this team is much better than last year's team.

Thus logic dictates that newer faces stay in and older ones - players who've been around for years - miss out because we can't squeeze tham all in, even though we may like them. We have to make the playing personnel as different from last year as we can within the constraints of current form, team balance, respect for the opponent etc..

This means, for example, that Zac Guthrie should play, but that Rohan and Menegola may have to miss out. It's easy in the case of Rohan, due to his finals record. Menegola played well in the Richmond losses, but has had several injuries and has slowed down noticeably.

Holmes is not merely a winger but can play either inside or out, so Menegola may not be so vital with the emergence of the younger players: Stengle, Close and Mieirs all push up the ground to help out with pressure acts and clearances.

Further, it's interesting to note that all the lads with high pressure stats were younger players; there is surely a limit to how many over thirties we want in the team.

Chawkts is correct: this team is much better than last year's team.

Thus logic dictates that newer faces stay in and older ones - players who've been around for years - miss out because we can't squeeze tham all in, even though we may like them. We have to make the playing personnel as different from last year as we can within the constraints of current form, team balance, respect for the opponent etc..

This means, for example, that Zac Guthrie should play, but that Rohan and Menegola may have to miss out. It's easy in the case of Rohan, due to his finals record. Menegola played well in the Richmond losses, but has had several injuries and has slowed down noticeably.

Holmes is not merely a winger but can play either inside or out, so Menegola may not be so vital with the emergence of the younger players: Stengle, Close and Mieirs all push up the ground to help out with pressure acts and clearances.

Further, it's interesting to note that all the lads with high pressure stats were younger players; there is surely a limit to how many over thirties we want in the team.
I think leaving Rohan out would be a mistake. His finals record isn't good but he's one of many and to spin a phrase, a dropping tide lowers all boats.

I think to patches where we've been truly dominant and it's running power that has shifted the dial on our attacking footy. He has it and and can turn a game when he's on.

I don't think you can leave any of our runners out.

Agree we have to play all the runners; they have been crucial to our new way of playing. Still don't think it means Rohan is essential, but I won't be surprised if he's included. He could create havoc if only he could get his finals head right.

Agree we have to play all the runners; they have been crucial to our new way of playing. Still don't think it means Rohan is essential, but I won't be surprised if he's included. He could create havoc if only he could get his finals head right.
If we lose it won't be because of him

I think leaving Rohan out would be a mistake. His finals record isn't good but he's one of many and to spin a phrase, a dropping tide lowers all boats.

I think to patches where we've been truly dominant and it's running power that has shifted the dial on our attacking footy. He has it and and can turn a game when he's on.

I don't think you can leave any of our runners out.
You have spun that phase!

Rohan is so hard for me. Watched him at Swans and Cats and just can’t ignore the change from home and away to finals. It is dramatic. And I am so worried that we ignore it at our peril - and can’t say warning signs aren’t there. But then I love his pressure, speed and 1%s. And do not for the life of me understand why that doesn't translate well to finals (I understand why a young flashy skilful player might be worse in finals but surely effort, desparation and speed aren’t impacted by a big occassion?)

It is compounded by the squeeze on best 22. And the options we have to cover him (Henry going foward, Danger, even Zuthrie).

I am ok if he is in…but equally won’t be critical if they choose the younger runners and he gets squeezed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back