"Best team all year"

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Good to see the team with the best record in the AFL this year walk away premiers. Doesn't always work out like that.

1st Richmond: 18-7
2nd Adelaide: 17-7-1
3rd Geelong: 16-8-1
4th GWS: 15-8-2
5th Sydney: 15-9
6th West Coast: 13-11
7th Port Adelaide: 14-9
8th Essendon: 12-11

They beat 15/17 opponents this year, with Sydney (9 point loss) and the Bulldogs (5 points) the only teams they failed to beat in their most recent encounter.

Go Tiges

Not taking anything away from a great season and a terrific result yesterday, but your ladder position last year did net you an easier draw than some of the other top teams this season.

Lost away from the mcg too much to be best for the year.

Lost against bottom 8 sides 2/4 games at etihad
Lost against adelaide in adelaide

The only top 8 team you beat away from home was port - not that you played many top 8 teams away from home

Mcg queens.

Lost away from the mcg too much to be best for the year.

Lost against bottom 8 sides 2/4 games at etihad
Lost against adelaide in adelaide

The only top 8 team you beat away from home was port - not that you played many top 8 teams away from home

Mcg queens.
Anyone can nit-pick a couple of games from the entire season. Who in your wise and unbiased (read: anti-vfl/mcg sook) opinion was better all year?

Adelaide, who got pumped by spoon contenders North Melbourne by 10 goals? Lost to bottom 8 teams Melbourne and Hawthorn at home and were unable to beat Sydney when in form?

The Giants? The ones who Richmond were within an inch of beating 3 times this season? Got pumped by Adelaide twice and drew with Hawthorn?

Geelong? Sydney? Your mob?

Do tell us.

Anyone can nit-pick a couple of games from the entire season. Who in your wise and unbiased (read: anti-vfl/mcg sook) opinion was better all year?

Adelaide, who got pumped by spoon contenders North Melbourne by 10 goals? Lost to bottom 8 teams Melbourne and Hawthorn at home and were unable to beat Sydney when in form?

The Giants? The ones who Richmond were within an inch of beating 3 times this season? Got pumped by Adelaide twice and drew with Hawthorn?

Geelong? Sydney? Your mob?

Do tell us.
He's posting the same s**t in numerous threads and disappears or changes the topic when people use reason

Not taking anything away from a great season and a terrific result yesterday, but your ladder position last year did net you an easier draw than some of the other top teams this season.
You mean the other top teams that we dismantled week by week in finals?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see the team with the best record in the AFL this year walk away premiers. Doesn't always work out like that.

1st Richmond: 18-7
2nd Adelaide: 17-7-1
3rd Geelong: 16-8-1
4th GWS: 15-8-2
5th Sydney: 15-9
6th West Coast: 13-11
7th Port Adelaide: 14-9
8th Essendon: 12-11

They beat 15/17 opponents this year, with Sydney (9 point loss) and the Bulldogs (5 points) the only teams they failed to beat in their most recent encounter.

Go Tiges

Oh dear, really? Can't just enjoy the win? I've never known much about Richmond and their fans, is this a glimpse on why so many other Victorian fans hate them.....?

Richmond were 1cm from finishing on top of the ladder in the H&A season too with that touched goal in the last minute vs GWS early in the year.

I think Dimma encouraged the media to pump up Adelaide so they would get flustered when it inevitably became a close start to the game.

Crows were the best performed team in 2017. The premiership ladder shows this. Just not good enough on the day.

And how you perform on the day is the only thing that matters.

Adelaide were 1 rushed behind or 1 touched ball away from finishing 3rd, and Richmond 1st.

And including finals, Richmond won more games so it's factually incorrect to say Adelaide were the best team all year.

Can I say something about this? I heard this being mentioned a few times and I would have agreed looking at the draw at the beginning of the year. Wouldn't say so now though. Most of what was missing for us was the "home" part of the draw against the top 6 teams of the H&A season. Have a look at this compared to other of the top 4 sides:

1. Adelaide:

Home (AO): (5)
- Geelong
- GWS
- Richmond
- Port Adelaide
- Sydney

Away: (2)
- Geelong
- Port Adelaide (AO)

2. Geelong
:

Home (SS): (5)
- Adelaide
- GWS
- Richmond
- Sydney
- Port Adelaide

Away: (1)
- Adelaide

3. Richmond:

Home (MCG): (2)
- GWS
- Sydney

Away: (4)
- GWS
- Geelong
- Adelaide
- Port Adelaide

4. GWS:

Home (Spotless): (4)

- Richmond
- Geelong
- Port Adelaide
- Sydney

Away: (4)
- Richmond
- Adelaide
- Geelong
- Sydney

GWS had the hardest draw of the top 4 given how much they have played the top 6 sides, but Richmond is second. Adelaide might have had more games, but most of them were at home. Geelong had the same amount of games against the top 6 as us, yet most of them were at home. I think Richmond can beat all of the top 4 at the MCG too, but just did not have that opportunity in the season to prove that except for against GWS. They did have them here in the finals and defeated all three. Mix that with going 1-1 against Fremantle, St Kilda and dropping a game against Western Bulldogs, I don't think Richmond's seemingly easy draw was the core of why Richmond finished in the top 4. This draw looks very easy on the surface, but it isn't that easy if you really analyse it.

By the way, I am not disputing whether or not Adelaide were the best team this year. Some may say Richmond, some may say Adelaide, and both have valid points in my opinion. I am just talking about the draw.

That was the one thing the media said about Adelaide, not the fans.

Congratulations Richmond and you were the best team yesterday but the fans didn't say that.
If i could be arsed I'd quote them from our board but I'm busy on 5th crack at the replay :cool:

Adelaide were 1 rushed behind or 1 touched ball away from finishing 3rd, and Richmond 1st.

And including finals, Richmond won more games so it's factually incorrect to say Adelaide were the best team all year.

Your talking hypotheticals, not facts. Tigers obviously best performed in the finals but not home and away. Like I said the ladder reflects this.

Anyway who cares. It's the premiership that matters, not the Home and away. Not even sure why this topic is being discussed.

Richmond were 1cm from finishing on top of the ladder in the H&A season too with that touched goal in the last minute vs GWS early in the year.

I think Dimma encouraged the media to pump up Adelaide so they would get flustered when it inevitably became a close start to the game.

mind games

mindgames.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back