"Best team all year"

Remove this Banner Ad

And if you think this thread wasn't started in response to almost immediate talk discrediting our Premiership, then you're deluded. The "best" team often falls short. I just don't see the point in debating the merit of any premier in any year. It always takes a good pinch of luck and some planets aligning.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
So would you agree with the OP that you were clearly the best side this year? Undisputed?

All I'm saying is that I don't think you were and you were advantaged come finals. Obviously had you gone down to the Cattery and beaten the Cats on their home deck then that would have helped your cause.

Well arent you a whiny little bitch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yeah I learnt my trade trawling through threads on the Richmond board for years and having surrounded myself with mates who are Tigers supporters. Starts to rub off after a while...

So would you agree with the OP that you were clearly the best side this year? Undisputed?

All I'm saying is that I don't think you were and you were advantaged come finals. Obviously had you gone down to the Cattery and beaten the Cats on their home deck then that would have helped your cause.
I'll answer your question with a question: How do you measure it, if not on winning the premiership? Go the world game route and whoever finishes on top after H&A? Best percentage after H&A? Imagine how different the history books could look! Wouldn't be kind to the dynasties of the Lions and Hawks.

We finished half a game off top, and (imo) played the best team footy when it mattered. Strangely some people are really finding it hard for that to be enough.

I'll answer your question with a question: How do you measure it, if not on winning the premiership? Go the world game route and whoever finishes on top after H&A? Best percentage after H&A? Imagine how different the history books could look! Wouldn't be kind to the dynasties of the Lions and Hawks.

We finished half a game off top, and (imo) played the best team footy when it mattered. Strangely some people are really finding it hard for that to be enough.

If you had played by the same rules 13 teams in the comp have to follow then there would be no argument and you would have been the number one team.

Fact is you didn't end up on top, you didn't travel in week 1 and enjoyed a GF on your home deck with the majority crowd support. Can you see why we're sceptical?

Hope you're not comparing your team to the Lions and Hawks teams now. Difference between yours and the majority of their flags is that they were the undisputed best side. You were one of the better sides.

Hope you're not comparing your team to the Lions and Hawks teams now. Difference between yours and the majority of their flags is that they were the undisputed best side. You were one of the better sides.
Just making the point that the Lions didn't finish minor premiers any of their premiership years, and the Hawks only once out of their 4.

Re: playing by the rules everyone else does, I'm not sure what you want me to say. Sorry for Richmond being an MCG tenant, and therefore benefiting from long-standing AFL finals fixturing norms not designed to inherently benefit Richmond?

Richmond had 2 x two-week byes in the finals. That is the killer of all killers. Everyone said so last year.

Just making the point that the Lions didn't finish minor premiers any of their premiership years, and the Hawks only once out of their 4.

Re: playing by the rules everyone else does, I'm not sure what you want me to say. Sorry for Richmond being an MCG tenant, and therefore benefiting from long-standing AFL finals fixturing norms not designed to inherently benefit Richmond?

Nice to have the AFL finals fixturing be a benefit then isn't it?

"Hope you're not comparing your team to the Lions and Hawks teams now. Difference between yours and the majority of their flags is that they were the undisputed best side. You were one of the better sides."

Brisbane never finished Top of the H&A ladder. They were the best side in the finals each year. (Sounds like Richmond 2017).
Hawthorn finished top once (2013). In 2014, Sydney finished top, and had to play Hawthorn at the MCG in the GF. By your logic, how on earth do you claim Hawthorn were the best side in 2014?
In 2015, tHawthorn got beaten in the finals by West Coast. Both sides made it to the GF - where Hawthorn won. By your logic, how on earth do you claim Hawthorn were the best side in 2015?

If you don't like the finals system, go and watch overseas soccer where they have a league table and whoever is on top at the end of H&A wins. It's not Aussie Rules, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Hope you're not comparing your team to the Lions and Hawks teams now. Difference between yours and the majority of their flags is that they were the undisputed best side. You were one of the better sides."

Brisbane never finished Top of the H&A ladder. They were the best side in the finals each year. (Sounds like Richmond 2017).
Hawthorn finished top once (2013). In 2014, Sydney finished top, and had to play Hawthorn at the MCG in the GF. By your logic, how on earth do you claim Hawthorn were the best side in 2014?
In 2015, tHawthorn got beaten in the finals by West Coast. Both sides made it to the GF - where Hawthorn won. By your logic, how on earth do you claim Hawthorn were the best side in 2015?

If you don't like the finals system, go and watch overseas soccer where they have a league table and whoever is on top at the end of H&A wins. It's not Aussie Rules, though.

Hawthorn and brisbane beat teams away from the g

Thats how

Utter Geelong revisionist bullshit. You've played one final at Kardinia. The MCG contracts were signed for 40 years in 1992 and your club like all the others were happy with the contract and the thought of playing more finals at the home of football. Now you've got a middle of the road list propped up by a large home ground advantage all you lot do is cry.

Your only entitled to a final in your home state and the AFL have deemed that final will be at the same ground where you request to "host" high drawing games against Essendon and Hawthorn.
Boooooshit. We did not have Port, GWS and Gold Coast in 1992. Get with the times Tigger. It's the 21st century. I know you have a screw loose with your inept reply.
The point is whilst the Grand Final is sacrosanct and must remain at the MCG we just a had a finals series won by a team that qualified 3RD and played all their finals at home. The two teams that finished above it, had to travel. Where is the fairness in that? Forget 1992 agreements, they mean jack s**t in 2017 and would be torn up if challenged.seriously. What we are looking for is a fair system in order to qualify for the Grand Final which will always be played at the MCG. The Grand Final is an event not an AFL fixture anymore..
All teams under this national competition must be allowed to play their home semi finals on their own home ground unless THEY choose to do otherwise. Geelong V Richmond or any team must be played at Simonds stadium under similar circumstances in future. It's not about crying about it you juvenile, it's about fair play and the reason we play a H&A season in the first place. I don't care about 90,000 fans not getting into the game, the AFL get $billions for TV rights...buy a TV set! I have stated many times Richmond are worthy winners and they would've been every chance to repeat their win against Geelong in Geelong, i suppose the Tigers did well with a middle of the road list (maybe Grant Thomas is right after all?) Perhaps he got confused with their siupporters?

Boooooshit. We did not have Port, GWS and Gold Coast in 1992. Get with the times Tigger. It's the 21st century. I know you have a screw loose with your inept reply.
The point is whilst the Grand Final is sacrosanct and must remain at the MCG we just a had a finals series won by a team that qualified 3RD and played all their finals at home. The two teams that finished above it, had to travel. Where is the fairness in that? Forget 1992 agreements, they mean jack s**t in 2017 and would be torn up if challenged.seriously. What we are looking for is a fair system in order to qualify for the Grand Final which will always be played at the MCG. The Grand Final is an event not an AFL fixture anymore..
All teams under this national competition must be allowed to play their home semi finals on their own home ground unless THEY choose to do otherwise. Geelong V Richmond or any team must be played at Simonds stadium under similar circumstances in future. It's not about crying about it you juvenile, it's about fair play and the reason we play a H&A season in the first place. I don't care about 90,000 fans not getting into the game, the AFL get $billions for TV rights...buy a TV set! I have stated many times Richmond are worthy winners and they would've been every chance to repeat their win against Geelong in Geelong, i suppose the Tigers did well with a middle of the road list (maybe Grant Thomas is right after all?) Perhaps he got confused with their siupporters?
If the grand final is sacrosanct, then it nullifies your point of the Crows unjustly having to travel. And if you then concede that the MCG is one of Geelong's home grounds where they elect to play their big drawing games , then you really don't have a point, other than Richmond having a little luck in getting another Vic club in week 1, them taking full advantage and earning a good run to the premiership, which they were good enough to take.

If that's what you're saying then I'm happy to agree and we can be on our ways!

Now your making a fool of yourself. We signed a contract and have renegotiated several times with the MCC who took on $100 mil in debt to expand the ground, but lets tear it up for a team that has played finals at the mcg for 100 years but now find it doesn't suit them.

Such self entitlement it amazes, you want a home ground advantage that only the northern state teams have, a travel schedule that only Victorian teams can enjoy, to play your block busters at the MCG and pick and choose where finals are played and you want the league to cop the tag in reduced finals revenue. Okay that doensn't seem self serving at all.

Grant Thomas? All he's done is highlight what a difference a decent coach might have made to the 2005-6 Saints.

I'm surprised so many people are so shocked that Richmond won the flag. Most of us with any intelligence predicted this at the start of the year:

upload_2017-10-2_16-40-18.png

upload_2017-10-2_16-40-32.png

upload_2017-10-2_16-40-50.png

upload_2017-10-2_16-40-59.png

I hope people took my advice when I spoke about the money I placed on Richmond. A few people mocked me, but fools usually do laugh at people that dare to dream. As you can see, a few of the more intelligent posters on the board like 00Stinger and Matt Stevic knew what was up.

Not taking anything away from a great season and a terrific result yesterday, but your ladder position last year did net you an easier draw than some of the other top teams this season.

You do realise Adelaide finishing one game from 1st place in 2016 only played Geelong and Hawthorn twice from the top 8...

We finished 13th...

Last edited:
Kind of enjoyed it when Richmond weren't so great. Much more modest and humble.

The only reason Geelong and Adelaide finished ahead of Richmond this season in the H&A is because they played Richmond at their home grounds. Richmond proved that they could beat them on their home ground in the finals. But Richmond didn't get that chance in the H&A.

So if during the H&A season the Rich-Adelaide and Rich-Geelong games were played at Richmond's home ground, Richmond would have finished on top. Or even just play another couple of rounds to even things up - Richmond beat Adelaide, Richmond beat Geelong - Richmond finish on top.

Richmond were probably the best side during the H&A, but denied top spot by the quirks of the uneven draw. And they proved that during the finals.

Lost away from the mcg too much to be best for the year.

Lost against bottom 8 sides 2/4 games at etihad
Lost against adelaide in adelaide

The only top 8 team you beat away from home was port - not that you played many top 8 teams away from home

Mcg queens.
How did your mob go against the Tigers at the MCG? It has been Richmond's home ground for forty-two years and has been contracted for the Grand Final for many more to come. We used to have a "neutral ground", it was called VFL Park and was the embodiment of the foresight of the great Sir Kenneth Luke. Sadly, Labor party influences within the MCC and successive State governments failed to support the vision, including the stadium being built up to hold well over 100,000 spectators. Politics and sport, what a combination. Were you born before the inception of the West Coast Eagles? Plenty of kids in Victoria now support interstate teams and the sky hasn't collapsed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back