Best team of Tasmanian AFL Players

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Following on from a thread I started on the AFL board in 2007 (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325006) I thought it was time to have another look at the best of the Tasmanian crop currently playing in the AFL. I decided to start the thread on the TSL board instead this time though, as it is supposedly the pathway for our young players and will show just how successful our local product has been.

Here is my suggested team below. Feel free to comment and we can try and come up with an ultimate team together.

B: A. Joseph, N. Grima, M. Davies
HB: J. Webberley, C. Garland, G. Birchall
C: M. Robinson, J. Sherman, T. Collier
HF: B. Green, S. Wiggins, B. Moles
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, T. Hislop
R: A. Graham, B. Rawlings, S. Lonergan

I: S. Taylor, T. Bellchambers, R. Harwood, J. Crichton

Others not included (hopefully I have them all covered): B. McCulloch, T. Allwright, J. Laycock, L. Jones, L. Russel (GC), M.Weller (GC)

P.S. Unlike last time around, I have decided to not include players such as Nick Riewoldt, instead choosing players who played the majority of their junior footy in Tas or were drafted from Tas.

Following on from a thread I started on the AFL board in 2007 (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325006) I thought it was time to have another look at the best of the Tasmanian crop currently playing in the AFL. I decided to start the thread on the TSL board instead this time though, as it is supposedly the pathway for our young players and will show just how successful our local product has been.

Here is my suggested team below. Feel free to comment and we can try and come up with an ultimate team together.

B: T. Hislop, N. Grima, M. Davies
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, A. Joseph

Others not included (hopefully I have them all covered): B. McCulloch, T. Allwright, J. Laycock, L. Jones, L. Russel (GC), M.Weller (GC)

P.S. Unlike last time around, I have decided to not include players such as Nick Riewoldt, instead choosing players who played the majority of their junior footy in Tas or were drafted from Tas.

I would swap Hislop and Joseph around. Interestingly Joesph has played just about every game for Carlton since his debut, flys under the radar but playes on about the best small/med forward/onballer every week, plays most game time. Does get beaten occasionally but doesn't seem to phase him:thumbsu: Could end up being 250 gamer if blues stay in top 10 for next decade and he stays at the club. Cornelius an interesting one, seems to be suffering from Voss unweilding mentallity of sticking to the game plan that was used when the Lions won the 3 GF's. Dominates QFL at both ends of the ground, is 4-6 kg's heavier than when he first arrived, is taller and has a bigger engine but still only 2 games. Surely he is worth a go now their season is over.

Backline in this Tas team looks pretty solid but Wiggins at CHF is a stretch, maybe Cornelius could go there? Would get smashed by top AFL teams but would be top 10 I would suggest.

I would swap Hislop and Joseph around. Interestingly Joesph has played just about every game for Carlton since his debut, flys under the radar but playes on about the best small/med forward/onballer every week, plays most game time. Does get beaten occasionally but doesn't seem to phase him:thumbsu: Could end up being 250 gamer if blues stay in top 10 for next decade and he stays at the club. Cornelius an interesting one, seems to be suffering from Voss unweilding mentallity of sticking to the game plan that was used when the Lions won the 3 GF's. Dominates QFL at both ends of the ground, is 4-6 kg's heavier than when he first arrived, is taller and has a bigger engine but still only 2 games. Surely he is worth a go now their season is over.

Backline in this Tas team looks pretty solid but Wiggins at CHF is a stretch, maybe Cornelius could go there? Would get smashed by top AFL teams but would be top 10 I would suggest.

Cornelius played on Sat night and kicked 3.

I would think that side would get beaten by all current AFL sides. The depth of Tassie talent in the AFL is probably the shallowest it has been for a long, long time. Outside of the top probably 5 players, the rest are fringe players or haven't even played a senior game yet for their respective clubs.

DC- Fair call with swapping Joseph and Hislop. Joseph would generally tag a midfielder/small forward so playing him in a defensive spot would make sense. Not sure what role Hislop really plays when he has managed a game with the Tiges, but he strikes me as a traditional flanker (whether that be forward or back). I think he was originally drafted as a midfielder but doesn't appear to have developed a tank (or have the skills) to get much time on the ball.

CHB and CHF are the two toughest positions for the Tassie side. Garland and Wiggins are both about 3-4 inches to short but who can you really replace them with? I thought Wiggins did pretty well as a lead up forward in the past so stuck with him even though he hasn't played a game this year.

DHTB- Cornelius is probably the one in he squad with the most to gain this year. I can see him stringing a few games together in the 2nd half of the year as the Lions look to struggle to make the finals. Having both Fev and JB (when fit) will enable him to play as the 3rd tall and provide a handy foil for those two.

That side would probably struggle to get a win in an AFL season, but the depth has definately improved from 2007 when I first compiled a team here on Big Footy (at least in terms of numbers). Hopefully this year, every player can remain on their respective lists and we can have 2 or 3 new draftees + the two boys at the GC which will take us beyond 30, which I dare say would be the most Tasmanians to ever be playing concurrently in the AFL!

lets be honest, its a shockin line up. and an indictment on the development pathways in tassie.

i'm not close to the game down there any more, but something has gone horribly wrong when less than half of tassie's best can't walk into their club's best 22.

I don't think anything is wrong with the team there, except for the fact there is a big age gap...
B: T. Hislop, N. Grima, M. Davies
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, A. Joseph

B. McCulloch, T. Allwright, J. Laycock, L. Jones, L. Russel (GC), M.Weller (GC)

there are a few older blokes in there nearing 30s with wiggins green rawlings etc but then there is a huge gap to the next oldest crop of lonergan, moles etc who are still only 24, then obviously a heap in the 17-24 age bracket...

i suggest this list is in a lot better shape now then 3 years ago!

Most of these young guys CAN PLAY..so hold off on bagging this list out for a couple of years, we will have stars all over the country.
davies, garland, birchall, webberley, robinson, sherman, moles, cornelius, riewoldt, joseph, graham, Lonergan, Bellchambers all have every bit of potential to be stars for their club in their prime and 200+ game players - at least 75% of this list will play 150+ afl games mark my words.

Well it appears this list is starting to look much stronger than when I started this thread, and perhaps the strongest this team has looked in years.
  • Riewoldt looks to have secured himself the Coleman medal for 2010
  • Rawlings has had the 5th most possessions of all players this year
  • Nathan Grima has undoubtedly stepped his game up another level
  • Davies, Crichton, Jones & Harwood have all made their debuts in the latter part of the year (and held their spots)
Hopefully we have a few more drafted next year along with the Gold Coast inclusions of Weller, Russel & Isles. Green and Gillbee appear the most likely and hopefully a couple of others sneak their way in or are rookie listed.

Those who may be delisted include Hislop, Wiggins & Laycock (correct me if I am wrong based on their contract status).

Good week for the Taswegians.

Jack Riewoldt secured Tassie's 1st coleman medal since Michael Roach in 1981 (coincidentally also the Tigers last coleman medallist).

Also, 3 Tasmanians were listed in the initial 40-man squad for the 2010 All-Australian team including Jack Riewoldt, Brady Rawlings & Brad Green. You would imagine Jack is the most likely to make the final cut, although the other two have had stellar seasons.

This would be my team:

B:
A. Joseph, N. Grima, M. Davies
C: J. Sherman, S. Isles, T. Collier
HF: B. Green, S. Wiggins, M. Robinson
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, S. Lonergan
R: A. Graham, B. Rawlings, B. Moles

You missed S. Isles from GC. He is going to be a gun by all accounts.

I agree that this is a WAY better team than three of four years ago. Things are looking up. In four years time the team will look better still with Green, Darley, Weller, Russell and Gilbee all likely players that haven't played yet.

This would be my team:

B:
A. Joseph, N. Grima, M. Davies
C: J. Sherman, S. Isles, T. Collier
HF: B. Green, S. Wiggins, M. Robinson
F: A. Cornelius, J. Riewoldt, S. Lonergan
R: A. Graham, B. Rawlings, B. Moles

You missed S. Isles from GC. He is going to be a gun by all accounts.

I agree that this is a WAY better team than three of four years ago. Things are looking up. In four years time the team will look better still with Green, Darley, Weller, Russell and Gilbee all likely players that haven't played yet.

Although he is not on a AFL list Ian Callinan is ten times the footballer than most of these young blokes that will play 10 or 20 AFL games. And that is no offence to any of these names, but Callinan is an out and out gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back