Opinion Best team "on paper" of Geelong footballers YOU have seen play

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no doubt Martin in the right era could have been a thug...the apple does not fall far from the tree. Might have been more up front than Matthews as well.
Give him credit for taking on mindfulness, meditation, yoga, whatever it has taken has been hugely successful; his on ground demeanour and brilliance, on the whole, exemplifies a character at peace with where he sits in the (footy) world.

Last edited:
B: Ian Nankervis, Matthew Scarlett, Darren Milburn
HB: Andrew Mackie, Matthew Egan, Corey Enright
C: Joel Corey, Greg Williams, Jimmy Bartel
HF: Steve Johnson, Cam Mooney, Paul Chapman
F: Patrick Dangerfield, Doug Wade, Tom Hawkins
R: Brad Ottens, Garry Ablett Snr., Garry Ablett Jnr.
I/C: Damien Bourke, James Kelly, Cameron Ling, Joel Selwood

By Jeez this is tough. So many great ones left out. Here goes:

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
D MILBURN​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
M SCARLETT​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
I NANKERVIS​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
C ENRIGHT​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
J HAWKINS​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
A MACKIE​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
M TURNER​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
P DANGERFIELD​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
G ABLETT SNR​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
D CLARKE​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
B RYAN​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S JOHNSON​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
J BARTEL​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
D WADE​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
P CHAPMAN​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]F[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
G FARMER​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
G HOCKING​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
G ABLETT JNR​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]I[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
G WILLIAMS​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
B OTTENS​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
P COUCH​
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
J SELWOOD​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
J COREY​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S NEWMAN​
[/TD]

FB : Ian Nankervis Gary Malarkey Matthew Scarlett
HB : Corey Enright Harry Taylor Tom Stewart
C : Patrick Dangerfield Greg Williams Michael Turner
HF : Gary Ablett Cameron Mooney Steve Johnson
FF : Paul Chapman Tom Hawkins Jimmy Bartel

R : Brad Ottens Garry Hocking Gary Ablett Jnr

Int : Tim Kelly Paul Couch Joel Selwood Andrew Bews

Maybe Bartel for Bews is the only one I struggled with. I was alive to remember Doug Wade playing but for North, I almost gave the nod to Larry Doodle.

*changed my mind, forgot (how could I?) Jimmy's three clutch goals in '11 and his job on Hayes in '09 after 1/4 time. He's in and the Rat to the bench and Sammy to the best of the rest.

...and now that I think about it some more, if I'm giving Diesel a run after only 2 seasons then Tim Kelly is in. Onto the bench in place of Mr Pyramid Building Society.

It was line ball. Ablett had some injury interruptions and only played 17 games for 53 goals. Lindner played 18 games and kicked 62. Two bags of seven in there too. More inconsistent than Ablett, but very good when on song. Could play.

About the only place he beat Snr was in the pay packet.

Yes h
Give him credit for taking on mindfulness, meditation, yoga, whatever it has taken has been hugely successful; his on ground demeanour and brilliance, on the whole, exemplifies a character at peace with where he sits in the (footy) world.
Yes he is a real 21st Century type of guy. Oh the Age of Aquarius. In the bruise free cross country basket ball game we call AFL he is a modern day Star.

Williams was in a different league to Kelly.

Absolutely, but I was more referring to length of service. Diesel has always fluctuated in and out of the top 5 of the best I've ever seen.

Snr
Carey
Matthews

Lockett
Diesel
Jnr
Hudson

Bottom 4 can vary in order.

Absolutely, but I was more referring to length of service. Diesel has always fluctuated in and out of the top 5 of the best I've ever seen.

Snr
Carey
Matthews

Lockett
Diesel
Jnr
Hudson

Almost my top 6 in order!
I have Farmer in there as well- yes, lucky enough to have seen him play, And met him at our school (Joeys) when in grade 3. Fair to say he was a major reason for following Geelong, other than the obvious proximity to the ground where we lived

Snr
Carey
Matthews

Lockett
Diesel
Jnr
Hudson

Impressed you include Hudson....so few mention him in threads like this.

Hudson was an absolute star.

Yes h

Yes he is a real 21st Century type of guy. Oh the Age of Aquarius. In the bruise free cross country basket ball game we call AFL he is a modern day Star.
Why so disparaging?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why so disparaging?
It's interesting as I often think back to how tough it was back in the old days etc etc. But you can only be the best where and when you are playing. Much and all as I am sick to death of the media wankfest over Dusty he is a genuine star of the game and would have been in any era. And vice versa applies of course. The stars back then would be stars today.

Last edited:
Why so disparaging?
It is the 21st Century..is it not? Arguably the Age of Aquarius...depends who you believe. Modern Football has taken all of the bruising body contact out of the game and left us with the end to end running required to keep most players close to the ball ala Basketball. Martin is a star of the game. Not sure what is disparaging about any of that. Perception is a strange thing however.

It is the 21st Century..is it not? Arguably the Age of Aquarius...depends who you believe. Modern Football has taken all of the bruising body contact out of the game and left us with the end to end running required to keep most players close to the ball ala Basketball. Martin is a star of the game. Not sure what is disparaging about any of that. Perception is a strange thing however.
The way Martin plays, his strength, poise, balance, skills, he would have been a star in any era, even the Age of Thuggery.

It's interesting as I often think back to how tough it was back in the old days etc etc. But you can only be the best where and when you are playing. Much and all as I am sick to death of the media wankfest over Dusty he is a genuine star of the game and would have been in any era. And vice versa applies of course. The stars back then would be stars today.

Yeah there were definite pros and cons to that era, as there are today.

The way Martin plays, his strength, poise, balance, skills, he would have been a star in any era, even the Age of Thuggery.
"Age of Thuggery" = Hindsight description and label...back in the day it was seen as no compromise accountable football. Tough and contested. Shirt fronts and big hip and shoulders no nonsense stuff. Great viewing. Yep their was some king hits as well and these were not condoned then or ever. Martins attributes as you describe would have been under a microscope and he would have been tested. So what... this is about Geelong's best team as far as I can tell Martin does not and never will play for Geelong.

"Age of Thuggery" = Hindsight description and label...back in the day it was seen as no compromise accountable football. Tough and contested. Shirt fronts and big hip and shoulders no nonsense stuff. Great viewing. Yep their was some king hits as well and these were not condoned then or ever. Martins attributes as you describe would have been under a microscope and he would have been tested. So what... this is about Geelong's best team as far as I can tell Martin does not and never will play for Geelong.
We digress all the time, but yes, point taken about him being the wrong feline.

Just don't let him near any chopsticks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back