Opinion Best team "on paper" of Geelong footballers YOU have seen play

Remove this Banner Ad

I could have a go at this and most likely not ever pick the same 22 twice, one constant though would be Wade at FF the whole of Geelong would be hanging out for Saturday to watch the big no23 go to work in the 60's as we did with Ablett Snr 20 years latter who unlike Wade could play multiple positions.

Last edited:
I could have a go at this and most likely not ever pick the same 22 twice, one constant though would be Wade at FF the whole of Geelong would be hanging out for Saturday to watch the big no23 go to work in the 60's as we did with Ablett Snr 20 years latter who unlike Wade co
Agree.
I picked 2 teams, and still left out really good players.

Mods, not sure if this has been done before or in recent years? I have penned a hypothetical best Geelong team based on footballers I have actually seen over the years. I was fortunate enough as a kid to see Polly Farmer play but have no memory of him on the field so could not include him.

Only criteria is that (a) the individuals must have played for Geelong and (b) you must have seen them (Reg Hickey is therefore out for 99.9% of posters)

Here's my team:

B: Ian Nankervis - Matthew Scarlett - Gary Malarkey
HB: Corey Enright - Jack Hawkins - Mark Bos
C: Mick Turner - Greg Williams - Gary Hocking
HF: Gary Ablett Snr - John Newman - Steve Johnson
F: Paul Chapman - Doug Wade - Gary Ablett Jnr
R: Brad Ottens - Patrick Dangerfield - Joel Selwood
I/C: Jimmy Bartel, Paul Couch, David Clarke, Harry Taylor

Emerg: Cameron Ling, Peter Riccardi, Joel Corey

Unlucky: Tom Stewart (probably needs a few more seasons); Tom Hawkins; Peter Featherby (prolific ball winner but has stiff competition)

Greg Williams is contentious. A strong argument could be mounted that Paul Couch be selected in the middle with Williams on the bench. My view is that in his two seasons at Geelong Williams was a dynamo in the middle. He dominated both seasons and left Geelong as reigning B&F.

Great side. Really glad to see others value Malarkey - only saw him beaten once (Templeton) and then only at the very end of his career.

As much as I loved Bos as a player, Stewart replaces him - Tom is very close to the clone of the best HBF that I’ve seen - Bruce Doull.

Didn’t see Polly unfortunately, but Sam Newman at his best was better than Ottens, so 1st ruck for me.

Contentious, no doubt, but I’d have Paul Lynch as an emergency. An amazing see ball, get ball player with great skills. Sure hardly any games due to injury but if the test is simply the best you have seen then he is in.

Very close - Brownless - at peak of his career a very, very good forward and Barry Stoneham.

Ah - the memories...

Yeah blokes like Roy West and Larry Donohue don't get a look in.
Donahue is an interesting one. One century, should have had a second one in 78. But then disappeared.

I think Harry Taylor has been outstanding at CHB from game 1. He could have easily won the Norm Smith in 09 for his role on Riewoldt, who was the only Saints player that could have stolen the game away from us.

That’s why I find it interesting to see most of our seasoned posters have picked Peter Walker or Jumping Jack Hawkins at CHB.
I’m not disputing the inclusion of these players over Harry, just hoping for some info on these players to see why they are rated so high.

I think Harry Taylor has been outstanding at CHB from game 1. He could have easily won the Norm Smith in 09 for his role on Riewoldt, who was the only Saints player that could have stolen the game away from us.

That’s why I find it interesting to see most of our seasoned posters have picked Peter Walker or Jumping Jack Hawkins at CHB.
I’m not disputing the inclusion of these players over Harry, just hoping for some info on these players to see why they are rated so high.
I'd be happy with Taylor or Walker a real dasher I'd find it more difficult to make the case for Jack Hawkins maybe a back pocket,good player all the same but the other 2 have him covered.

Taylor and Walker are standouts
As long as we're not talking about Taylor Walker....
Watching the Walker-Baldock duels in the 60's was like Jakovich-Carey, or Knights-Van Der Haar.
Walker was not tall, but was a great mark for his height and held down CHB against often taller opponents.
He was really quick, skilled, good long accurate kick, and perhaps one of the first really attacking defenders that we love to watch. The fact that our dad raved about him back then made us notice him as well.
Harry has been an awesome player, and if only selecting one team, would be in it as well.
Can not separate them.
Jumping Jack was exciting, great mark, but an ordinary kick. I think slightly below those 2.

I feel for the emergencies particularly in Team A. Not good enough to be in the best 22 and ineligible for Team B
Both sets of emergencies are outside the top 44 imho.
They were named last, after cobbling together the 44.
Have edited both teams as well...because we can..

Good post, and I am thinking of switching Jumping Jack for Harry in my team, i.e, CHB to i/c

Great side. Really glad to see others value Malarkey - only saw him beaten once (Templeton) and then only at the very end of his career.

As much as I loved Bos as a player, Stewart replaces him - Tom is very close to the clone of the best HBF that I’ve seen - Bruce Doull.

Didn’t see Polly unfortunately, but Sam Newman at his best was better than Ottens, so 1st ruck for me.

Contentious, no doubt, but I’d have Paul Lynch as an emergency. An amazing see ball, get ball player with great skills. Sure hardly any games due to injury but if the test is simply the best you have seen then he is in.

Very close - Brownless - at peak of his career a very, very good forward and Barry Stoneham.

Ah - the memories...
Agree about Lynch.
Bos was an excellent player til the ACL.
Prior to that he was a great tackler, fast, tough, and I recall the only player that could regularly handle and contain Tim Watson.
Interesting nobody includes Mackie- a triple flag HBF that could defend , set up attacks, be a link player, and score goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They give you a belting?
No mostly traffic offences bloody Whitehand would sit down the end of my street when he was having a quiet day and knock me off for excessive noise as soon as i left the drive way,got a little bit of a touch up one Geelong Gala Day and Woolard never forgave me for knocking over the phone booth outside the St Mary's dance one Sunday arvo,didn't help I suppose he was inside it at the time.

Last edited:
No mostly traffic offences bloody Whitehand would sit down the end of my street when he was having a quiet day any and knock me off for excessive noise as soon as i left the drive way,got a little bit of a touch up one Geelong Gala Day and Woolard never forgave me for knocking over the phone booth outside the St Mary's dance one Sunday arvo,didn't help I suppose he was inside it at the time.
Faaaarken LOL!!!

Team B
FB: Tom Stewart, Gary Malarkey, Tom Harley
HB: Andre Mackie, Harry Taylor, Corey Enright
C: Joel Corey, Paul Couch, Peter Riccardi
HF: David Clarke, Barry Stoneham, Bruce Lindner
FF: Billy Brownless, Gary Ablett snr, Andrew Bews
R: Brad Ottens, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood
I/C: Darren Milburn, David Wojcinski, Tom Hawkins, James Kelly

Emerg: Bill Ryan, Tony Polinelli, Mark Blicavs, Larry Donohue

Which team wins?

I understand that it's spreading the load between two teams, but my brain doesn't comprehend how Ablett senior can be in any kind of "Team B".

First one picked in any Geelong team for me.

Is there? He's still behind Ayres from what I can remember.
Depends how you judge these things, objectively Ayres was rightly excoriated personally for his pigheadedness, much of the similar level of vitriol directed at Scott personally is simply irrational by any standard, if only because in Ayres' day "the coach" existed, and now he/it doesn't.

Depends how you judge these things, objectively Ayres was rightly excoriated personally for his pigheadedness, much of the similar level of vitriol directed at Scott personally is simply irrational by any standard, if only because in Ayres' day "the coach" existed, and now he/it doesn't.
But he is not maligned at all though.
Bar a tiny minority everyone loves Scott.
According to the club anyway. And they wouldn't make things up.

As I recall Ayres didn't have any defenders at all.

What's irrational about being critical of a coach who can't get the team to perform in finals? That's after five top 4 finishes in seven years? And after bringing in more top-ups than Ayres ever did?

There's also nothing irrational about being critical of some of the worst tactical blunders - in finals - that I've ever seen.

As I recall Ayres didn't have any defenders at all.

What's irrational about being critical of a coach who can't get the team to perform in finals? That's after five top 4 finishes in seven years? And after bringing in more top-ups than Ayres ever did?

There's also nothing irrational about being critical of some of the worst tactical blunders - in finals - that I've ever seen.
I agree, not irrational at all. Some things are for sure IMO, like 2011 wasn't his flag, discounting his H&A record etc.
Like all things it probably ends up somewhere around the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back