4. Kane Williamson New Zealand
5. Lokesh Rahul India WK
6. Glenn Maxwell Australia
7. Mohammed Nabi Afghanistan
8. David Wiley England
9. Faheem Ashraf Pakistan
10. Rashid Khan Afghanistan
11. Chris Jordan England

Don’t think you can put Smith or Warner in a test team at the moment but I can see why you did.

I’d have Pujara in for Smith in the test team, and probably Markram in for Warner. Other than that, fairly solid

Don't think Jadeja plays away Tests, the surfaces don't help his bowling enough. Ashwin the preferred spinner. Also, is Kane Williamson really an opener, or was that more for lack of reasonable options?

ODI team looks just about spot on.

Only query I'd have on the ODI team is Rahul - surely you'd just play Buttler who's both a better bat and gloves

Would have Bumrah ahead of Rabada and Lyon instead of Jadeja in the test team.

Also would have Buttler in place of De Kock in the XI. Not sure about Kane opening, but would take it as there hasn't been a standout opener in recent times in test cricket.

Also would have Buttler in place of De Kock in the XI. Not sure about Kane opening, but would take it as there hasn't been a standout opener in recent times in test cricket.
I’ve got Kane opening due to his ability to adapt. Would rather have Root in the side bumping up Williamson than either Latham or karuaratne. Plus Williamson and Root can bowl some useful overs. Jadeja is in due to a bit of change up. He bowls left arm spin, his record is quite good and his batting and fielding is better than my other choice Ashwin. Bumrah is an excellent bowler but Rabada is just to good to leave out. He’s burnt out atm.

Don't think Jadeja plays away Tests, the surfaces don't help his bowling enough. Ashwin the preferred spinner. Also, is Kane Williamson really an opener, or was that more for lack of reasonable options?

ODI team looks just about spot on.

Only query I'd have on the ODI team is Rahul - surely you'd just play Buttler who's both a better bat and gloves
Rahul for T/20. Butler is an excellent choice but I felt like changing it up abit.

I’ve got Kane opening due to his ability to adapt. Would rather have Root in the side bumping up Williamson than either Latham or karuaratne. Plus Williamson and Root can bowl some useful overs. Jadeja is in due to a bit of change up. He bowls left arm spin, his record is quite good and his batting and fielding is better than my other choice Ashwin. Bumrah is an excellent bowler but Rabada is just to good to leave out. He’s burnt out atm.

Jadeja is better than Lyon in asia but I would prefer Lyon to anyone outside asia for his ability to get great overspin on the ball and beautiful trajectory. Ashwin doesn't put enough body in his deliveries due to his chest front on action, unlike the side chested action of Lyon. Apart from Anderson, there are no mugs with the bat in that team, so I don't think you need to beef up the batting.

Bumrah has been in hot form in the past 12 months and helped India win its first ever test series in Australia while Rabada has been off colour for sometime and Sri Lanka managed to beat the Saffers at their home for the first time in their history. So I chose Bumrah but I can see why Rabada was chosen. He's top quality and will be back to leading the charts soon while Bumrah is very young in his international career and hasn't got a big enough sample size yet.

Ashwin & Jadeja are on another plane in the subcontinent, outside of that it would be the very underrated Maharaj who's best in "continental" conditions. Makes picking a spinner a challenge, would like to say Shakib but he hasn't played a lot lately.

The only way you could leave Rabada our for anyone is on absolutely immediate form.... in which case you’re going to drop a keeper who has averaged 62 and 55 beneath a fairly s**t top order in his last two series, for another who’s averaged 41 and 29 in his last two.

Oh and Rabada’s last two series?

25 wickets at 22.

Babar Azam should be in everyone's ODI side here, his stats are incredible, very similar to Kohli at the same age.
He’s extremely underrated Babar Azam. I should make XI’s for the subcontinent and not subcontinent because theirs so many good players I can’t fit in !

The only way you could leave Rabada our for anyone is on absolutely immediate form.... in which case you’re going to drop a keeper who has averaged 62 and 55 beneath a fairly s**t top order in his last two series, for another who’s averaged 41 and 29 in his last two.

Oh and Rabada’s last two series?

25 wickets at 22.

Rabada averaged 37 in his last series against SL at home while Bumrah averaged 17 in his debut series in Australia, playing a series defining role in that performance. He is also the first bowler (or asian bowler I'm not sure) to pick a 5 fer in SA, England and Australia, and he did it in his very first series in all of these countries. So it's certainly not blasphemy picking Bumrah in the test XI on current form.

Anyway I didn't have a particular set of algorithm in picking my choices, I just picked my choices from the top of my head and didn't verify with their Cricinfo stats. I actually didn't know Buttler had a poor series in the Caribbean, I just feel De Kock is technically more vulnerable than Buttler. I obviously can't prove it with evidence but having watched both players at close quarters in their respective series against India, I thought De Kock was shakier at the crease than Buttler. It's probably just a subjective opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rabada averaged 37 in his last series against SL at home while Bumrah averaged 17 in his debut series in Australia, playing a series defining role in that performance. He is also the first bowler (or asian bowler I'm not sure) to pick a 5 fer in SA, England and Australia, and he did it in his very first series in all of these countries. So it's certainly not blasphemy picking Bumrah in the test XI on current form.

Anyway I didn't have a particular set of algorithm in picking my choices, I just picked my choices from the top of my head and didn't verify with their Cricinfo stats. I actually didn't know Buttler had a poor series in the Caribbean, I just feel De Kock is technically more vulnerable than Buttler. I obviously can't prove it with evidence but having watched both players at close quarters in their respective series against India, I thought De Kock was shakier at the crease than Buttler. It's probably just a subjective opinion.
The reason I picked DeKock is his he’s been the rock of the South African Lower order of late. Butler is a great player but in a more stable team

Um, no he didn’t. He took 8 wickets at 29 against SL, having averaged 18, 23, 19, 20, 8 and 12 in his six series before that.

Being ‘dropped’ from an imaginary side for having a two test series where he ‘only’ averaged 29 seems somewhat disproportionate

De Kock probably doesn’t play spin as well as Buttler does but he seems to have remembered how to score runs.

Um, no he didn’t. He took 8 wickets at 29 against SL, having averaged 18, 23, 19, 20, 8 and 12 in his six series before that.

Being ‘dropped’ from an imaginary side for having a two test series where he ‘only’ averaged 29 seems somewhat disproportionate

De Kock probably doesn’t play spin as well as Buttler does but he seems to have remembered how to score runs.

My bad, I must have mistaken his total average vs SL for his average vs SL in SA.

If you ask me which bowlers had the best last 12 months of test cricket, my top 3 would be Cummins, Bumrah and Anderson (just from the top of my head). Which is why I chose those three in my initial XI. Rabada was good too but he wasn't as good as those 3 in the last 12 months. I just went and checked their stats on cricinfo and even that confirms the same - Anderson averaged 22, Bumrah averaged 20 and Cummins 17 with the ball in the last 12 months while Rabada averaged 25, he was still good but I think those 3 had a better year than him.

You can have De Kock ahead of Buttler too, I wasn't aware of the stats of last year. Anyway I was just picking my test XI and we are allowed to have our choices, my test XI may not necessarily be the actual best test XI and I'm aware of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back