Best test XI since WSC

Remove this Banner Ad

Top six should all have test average over 50 in my opinion so here goes...
Hussey
Hayden
Ponting
G Chappell (can bowl)
Smith (can bowl)
Border (can bowl)
Gilchrist
Johnson (left hander and can bat)
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
S Waugh 12th man
S Waugh is probably the best bowler of that batting group honestly. Also again, I don't think Hussey opened enough to qulify him as an opener.

Lots of love for Johnson here and not enough for Ryan Harris. Most people have Lillee and McGrath. I find it difficult to disagree with that. But Johnson? He had so many off days. I dont remember Harris having any, just lots of injuries. Still 27 matches for 113 scaclps at 23 is awesome. Johnson at his best was just about the best quick ever. He was medicore for way too many matches for the purposes of this thread though.

For me Border was the best Aus bat I've seen.

Better against all types of bowling. As much, if not more courage than Waugh. Far better player of genuine pace than anyone bar Ponting. Eclipses Ponting against spin.

Anyone who made runs against the Windies at their peak AND on the subcontinent is just elite IMO. Also remember Border opening in ODIs and tearing into attacks. Just a gun.

Who could ever forget AB making 98* and 100* against a West Indies pace attack featuring the likes of Malcolm Marshall, Wayne Daniel and Joel Garner in the 2nd Test of the 1983-84 series at Port-of-Spain in the West Indies?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every batsman scored 20 or more test centuries. Every bowler had long careers and took over 300 wickets.
Yeah and how many of Hussey's were whilst opening?

Lots of love for Johnson here and not enough for Ryan Harris. Most people have Lillee and McGrath. I find it difficult to disagree with that. But Johnson? He had so many off days. I dont remember Harris having any, just lots of injuries. Still 27 matches for 113 scaclps at 23 is awesome. Johnson at his best was just about the best quick ever. He was medicore for way too many matches for the purposes of this thread though.

I put Johnson in as his best was frightening. A lot of s**t by hom as you say. By the same token Harris cant get in for me due to injuries. Probably Gillespie if you take longevity at a high level for me. But just for watching batsmen crap tenselves its hard to go past Mitch for me.

My bad. He only scored 19. Looks like he misses out on that criteria but he made hundreds whereever he batted. He made his first hundred in his second test as an opener.
So one century as an opener. Yeah, still think my point about how he didn't play enough as an opener to be in the best XI since WSC.

So one century as an opener. Yeah, still think my point about how he didn't play enough as an opener to be in the best XI since WSC.
My only concern with Hussey is that he is left handed, The best right handed opener since WSC? Probably Boon.

M.Hayden
M.Hussey
R.Ponting
G.Chappell
A.Border
S.Waugh
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
J.Gillespie
D.Lillee
G.McGrath

For me I did not include any current players. For me I will need to definitely make room to fit Smith in, in the future.
Players such as (Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins & Lyon) may come into consideration or at least a second XI in the future.

For me 9 of the 11 picked themselves.
For me the only contentious decisions around the kitchen table were been Gillespie and M.Hussey (who I had batting out of position, although has opened).

cummins putting his hand up for that gillespie spot.

still has a way to go, but certainly on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back