Oooh, this is fun.

Sheedy - Rance - Grimes
Bourke - Jess - Vlastuin
Knights - Barrott - Raines
Wiley - M Richardson - Martin
Cloke - Riewoldt - Weightman
Lee - Cotchin - Bartlett

B Richardson - K Lambert - Campbell - Edwards

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow. Cloke vs Roach? Vlastuin vs Keane? Where's Ian Stewart? Was Kane Lambert that good? (answer: yes, he was).

Ok - I'll admit - Billy Barrott is in there because he was my first idol. He made Dusty look like a boring half-back flanker.

Approaching my 50th but will limit it to players I can clearly remember playing so we're talking 1980 onwards and I'm picking a team that should be able to take the field and be able to compete in a real game.

B: D.Gaspar A.Rance D.Grimes
HB: B.Houli J.Jess F.Bourke
C: M.Knights M.Rioli W.Campbell
HF: N.Daffy M.Richardson S.Edwards
F: J.Riewoldt M.Roach K.Bartlett
R: M.Lee D.Martin D.Weightman
INT: C.Newman J.Bowden T.Cotchin B.Gale
EMG: B.Deledio G.Raines S.Tuck D.Kellaway

Last edited:
Man - this is tough…so many iconic players from a great club with such a rich history
But I’ll give it my best shot:

B: Dylan Grimes Alex Rance Dick Clay
HB: Nick Vlaustin Jimmy Jess Mervyn Keane
C: Bryan Wood Geoff Raines Francis Bourke
HF: Paul Broderick Royce Hart Kevin Bartlett
F: Maurice Rioli Jack Riewoldt Robert Wiley
R: Mark Lee Dustin Martin Dale Weightman
I/C: Trent Cotchin Bill Barrot Matthew Richardson Matthew Knights

NB. Honorable mentions to all the other nominated Tigers players so far

Approaching my 50th but will limit it to players I can clearly remember playing so we're talking 1980 onwards and I'm picking a team that should be able to take the field and

B: D.Gaspar A.Rance D.Grimes
HB: B.Houli J.Jess F.Bourke
C: M.Knights M.Rioli W.Campbell
HF: N.Daffy M.Richardson S.Edwards
F: J.Riewoldt M.Roach K.Bartlett
R: M.Lee D.Martin D.Weightman
INT: C.Newman J.Bowden T.Cotchin B.Gale
EMG: B.Deledio G.Raines S.Tuck D.Kellaway
Daffy! You must be joking? U picked that dud before Cotchin.

Daffy! You must be joking? U picked that dud before Cotchin.
Cotchin is a midfielder, Daffy was picked as a HF. Out of my centre square midfielders who would you replace with Cotchin?

B: D.Grimes R.Clay N.Vlastuin
HB: F.Bourke A.Rance M.Keane
C: S.Edwards D.Prestia B.Wood
HF: D.Martin R.Hart K.Lambert
F: K.Sheedy J.Riewoldt N.Balme
Foll: M.Green T.Cotchin K.Bartlett
I/C: M.Rioli M.Richardson D.Weightman B.Houli
a blend of flag winners. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Do you guys reckon Delidio is even though he’s a traitor?

When fit he’s one of the best Richmond players I’ve seen. People don’t really have him in the team on here.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Lids stayed and became a Richmond premiership player I wonder how it would have changed his life after football.

You lose alot of love when you choose to leave even at the end of your career.

He was a damn good player in a nothing era. It must have burned him to see Pickett become a Richmond premiership player in his first game.

Cotchin is a midfielder, Daffy was picked as a HF. Out of my centre square midfielders who would you replace with Cotchin?
Knights. I liked Matty but Cotchin is better. Daffy was just a player in a s**t era

Good day Tigers supporters.

I'm an American footy fan and podcaster (A Yank on the Footy). I have been following the game since 2016, and footy has become my sole sports focus.

I've had a small thread in the podcast section of Big Footy for a few years. While we are mired in the offseason, I am working to set up some discussions with supporters that want to discuss their most memorable game. If you're interested, please consider reaching out to me at ayankonthefooty@gmail.com. My first episode of this series (recalling a Tigers game from 1973) is out now.

Cheers,
Craig Wessels
Host of "A Yank on the Footy" Podcast
Sandusky, Ohio

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking for a winger and gave him some thought. In the end I thought Campbell would have the right attributes to be a better option on the wing, but I did not follow footy as closely in that era. Would you pick Maxfield on a wing ahead of Campbell if given the choice between the two?
Yes , as a winger. Our game plan at the time was to get it out to Maxfield on an open wing and let him use his left foot skills to hit someone up.
It was a devastating blow when Sydney poached him. He was highly rated by coaches.

If Lids stayed and became a Richmond premiership player I wonder how it would have changed his life after football.

He was a damn good player in a nothing era. It must have burned him to see Pickett become a Richmond premiership player in his first game.
I personally don’t believe we would have won it in 2017 if we had lids. We relied too heavily on him in the past and were forced to adapt after he left.

Knights. I liked Matty but Cotchin is better. Daffy was just a player in a s**t era
Cotchin is a centre square midfielder and I don't have him ahead of Maurice Martin or Weightman for a starting spot. Knights had the ability to play both inside and outside and with that starting midfield, he'd do a fair bit of damage off the wing.

As for Daffy, one of only 2 players to win the goal kicking when Richo didn't do so, which happened to be in the year we made our first finals series since 1982 and was also a B&F winner. I wanted a goal kicking HF and for mine he was one of the best we've had in my lifetime, which is where he made his name, then became a damaging midfielder later on.

It could have been easy to load up on premiership winners, but I felt it worthwhile to acknowledge some of the players who had good careers in an era when we were s**t.

Deledio was a Richmond champion who was tagged from a young age. He was forced out with a low contract offer at the time. He was very unlucky in the end.

Cotchin is a centre square midfielder and I don't have him ahead of Maurice Martin or Weightman for a starting spot. Knights had the ability to play both inside and outside and with that starting midfield, he'd do a fair bit of damage off the wing.

As for Daffy, one of only 2 players to win the goal kicking when Richo didn't do so, which happened to be in the year we made our first finals series since 1982 and was also a B&F winner. I wanted a goal kicking HF and for mine he was one of the best we've had in my lifetime, which is where he made his name, then became a damaging midfielder later on.

It could have been easy to load up on premiership winners, but I felt it worthwhile to acknowledge some of the players who had good careers in an era when we were s**t.
that 1995 era team was really very good. Sad that the coach bailed. All these decisions seemed to conspire to keep the flag drought going. The 2017 flag team deserves legend status at the club.
My own team was the first flag winning team I was at the G for. 69 I was old enough to appreciate but I got to go to 1972~74 GFs. But I loved Billy Barrot so I had him over Stewart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back