Best Tiger side in your lifetime.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is tough as others have mentioned - particularly given the early success, long time failure and then recent success in my time. Let’s go with:

Backs: Bourke, Gasper, Sheedy
H/B: Bowden, Rance, Vlastuin
Centre:Deledio, Raines, Wood
H/F: Martin, Hart, Richardson
FF: Bartlett, Reiwoldt, Weightman
On Ball: Lee, Cotch, Maurice Rioli
Int: Grimes, Knights, S.Edwards, Campbell

FB: D. Kellaway D. Gaspar N. Vlastuin

HB: M. Keane A. Rance P. Wilson

CL: B. Wood M. Rioli M. Knights

HF: B. Rowlings M. Richardson J. Bowden

FF: K. Bartlett M. Roach D. Cloke

Foll: M. Lee D. Weightman R. Wiley

Int: P. Welsh G. Raines P. Broderick W. Campbell T. Free

Emerg: F. Bourke J. Jess D. Prestia J. Caddy T. Nankervis T. Lynch B. Gale C. Lambert M. Gale J. Tape M. Rogers T. Nichols G. Tivendale D. Palm P. Egan J. Annear T. Poole P. Bulluss S. Turner J. Hogg S. Maxfield M. Merenda B. Leys G. Landy S. Maxfield D. Martin D. Grimes I. Maric

Coach: T. Jewell

Allan McKellar was unlucky not to make the extended emergency list.

Last edited:

Cotchin is a centre square midfielder and I don't have him ahead of Maurice Martin or Weightman for a starting spot. Knights had the ability to play both inside and outside and with that starting midfield, he'd do a fair bit of damage off the wing.

As for Daffy, one of only 2 players to win the goal kicking when Richo didn't do so, which happened to be in the year we made our first finals series since 1982 and was also a B&F winner. I wanted a goal kicking HF and for mine he was one of the best we've had in my lifetime, which is where he made his name, then became a damaging midfielder later on.

It could have been easy to load up on premiership winners, but I felt it worthwhile to acknowledge some of the players who had good careers in an era when we were s**t.
I see your logic but as I stated I thought Daffy was a very overrated ordinary player and if you needed a forward flanker then Bolton has twice the ability of Daffy.

bit of a mix from '74 onwards,so from 7 yrs of age - present
not in positional or hierachy order

bourke
cotchin
bartlett
sheedy
malthouse
cloke
wiley
lee
weightman
wood
raines
jess
keane
m.richardson
m.pickering
d.kellaway
s.tuck
martin
hogg
rowlings
grimes
rance
vlaustin
prestia
k.lambert
m.rioli
d.rioli
s.edwards
a.edwards(b4 knee surgery)
hart
roach
b.taylor
coughlin(B4 injury)
the other lambert
m.pickett (70's throwback,legend)
j.reiwoldt
lynch
broderick
maxwell
b.gale

Last edited:
bit of a mix from '74 onwards,so from 7 yrs of age - present
not in positional or hierachy order

bourke
cotchin
bartlett
sheedy
malthouse
cloke
wiley
lee
weightman
wood
raines
jess
keane
m.richardson
m.pickering
d.kellaway
s.tuck
martin
hogg
rowlings
grimes
rance
vlaustin
prestia
k.lambert
m.rioli
d.rioli
s.edwards
a.edwards(b4 knee surgery)
hart
roach
b.taylor
coughlin(B4 injury)
the other lambert
m.pickett (70's throwback,legend)
j.reiwoldt
lynch
Coughlin B4 injury was Cripps like!

FB: D. Kellaway D. Gaspar N. Vlastuin

HB: M. Keane A. Rance P. Wilson

CL: B. Wood M. Rioli M. Knights

HF: B. Rowlings M. Richardson J. Bowden

FF: K. Bartlett M. Roach D. Cloke

Foll: M. Lee D. Weightman R. Wiley

Int: P. Welsh G. Raines P. Broderick W. Campbell T. Free

Emerg: F. Bourke J. Jess D. Prestia J. Caddy T. Nankervis B. Gale C. Lambert M. Gale J. Tape M. Rogers T. Nichols G. Tivendale D. Palm P. Egan J. Annear T. Poole P. Bulluss S. Turner J. Hogg S. Maxfield M. Merenda B. Leys G. Landy S. Maxfield D. Martin D. Grimes I. Maric

Coach: T. Jewell

Allan McKellar was unlucky not to make the extended emergency list.
F. Bourke and Emergency, that's enough to have you tar and feathered.

B> Sheedy Rance Grimes

HB Houli Jess keane

C Bourke Barret Clay

HF Stewart Hart Rioli

F Riewoldt Richo weightman

R Green Dusty KB

int Raines Roach wiley balme cotchin

emg Wood vlastuin nankervis Brown

Last edited:
Been some greats go through the RFC in my lifetime as well as some very good players.

But the greatest side is our 3 time Flag winning outfit.

The 1980 side and 1982 side our next best.

The 1995-2001 era was a handy side too at times with 2 finals appearances.

The rest of the time we were dire.

I suspect the entire side will come from those 3 distinct eras.

KB, St Francis, Keane, Wiley, Roach, Lee, Cloke, Weightman, Jimmy Jess, Bazza Rowlings, Dunne and the great Maurice Rioli from the 80s!

Richo, Benny Gale, Knights, Campbell, Broderick, Gaspar, Turner, Rogers, Tape, Bowden, Merenda, Torney, Newman, Cameron, Butch Gale, Naish, and the Kellaway's from the 95-01 era.

Then the 2017-20 3 time winners era Dustin Martin, JR8, Lynch, Cotchin, Rance, Prestia, Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Rioli, Vlas, Dave, Broad, Pickett, Lambert, Nank, Bolton, Caddy, Baker, Costanza, Grigg, Towner, Noah, Graham ect.

Of the guys who didn't play in those eras there were still some great Tiger players as well as two of my faves in Phil Egan and Michael Mitchell, along with Jeff Hogg, Tony Free, Craig Lambert, Michael Pickering, Peter Wilson, Trevor Poole, Brett Deledio and Mark Coughlan.

Was a much easier exercise prior to 2017 ....... not now its a nightmare.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He provided some great memories! I was at a rainy game at the 'G against the Bears once when Wilson went forward and won us the game, he made my team for his exciting play and cartwheel abilities, that's another great game I was at!
I saw him play too. Good player. Then he ran to West Coast and was dead to me.
the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

I didn't see Francis Bourke in his prime, my earliest memory of Richmond is losing the '82 GF. You may ask why do I have a lot of 1980 premiership players in my team, and that's valid.

Anyway, I forgot Tom Lynch, I gotta go fix that.
I would have Bourke and Rance as the best two backs I have seen at Richmond, probably our best wingman as well. Top half dozen tigers I can remember I would think. Lucky to be an old bastard sometimes, not often.

I would have Bourke and Rance as the best two backs I have seen at Richmond, probably our best wingman as well. Top half dozen tigers I can remember I would think. Lucky to be an old bastard sometimes, not often.
Always lucky to be an old bastard I reckon because some people never make it there. I'm 47 and hoping to one day be a really old bastard.

My earliest Richmond memory is actually losing the '82 GF, but I've watched the 1980 premiership that many times and to this day can't believe a team with that quality midfield didn't win more flags, but by that time Bourke was a defender, and having heard of the famous Bourke, Barrot & Clay centreline I just thought that should be his position in the teams of people that have seen him at the peak of his powers, but that's not my lifetime.

Always lucky to be an old bastard I reckon because some people never make it there. I'm 47 and hoping to one day be a really old bastard.

My earliest Richmond memory is actually losing the '82 GF, but I've watched the 1980 premiership that many times and to this day can't believe a team with that quality midfield didn't win more flags, but by that time Bourke was a defender, and having heard of the famous Bourke, Barrot & Clay centreline I just thought that should be his position in the teams of people that have seen him at the peak of his powers, but that's not my lifetime.
I'm not really that old, just saying.

Been some greats go through the RFC in my lifetime as well as some very good players.

But the greatest side is our 3 time Flag winning outfit.

The 1980 side and 1982 side our next best.

The 1995-2001 era was a handy side too at times with 2 finals appearances.

The rest of the time we were dire.

I suspect the entire side will come from those 3 distinct eras.

KB, St Francis, Keane, Wiley, Roach, Lee, Cloke, Weightman, Jimmy Jess, Bazza Rowlings, Dunne and the great Maurice Rioli from the 80s!

Richo, Benny Gale, Knights, Campbell, Broderick, Gaspar, Turner, Rogers, Tape, Bowden, Merenda, Torney, Newman, Cameron, Butch Gale, Naish, and the Kellaway's from the 95-01 era.

Then the 2017-20 3 time winners era Dustin Martin, JR8, Lynch, Cotchin, Rance, Prestia, Edwards, Grimes, Houli, Rioli, Vlas, Dave, Broad, Pickett, Lambert, Nank, Bolton, Caddy, Baker, Costanza, Grigg, Towner, Noah, Graham ect.

Of the guys who didn't play in those eras there were still some great Tiger players as well as two of my faves in Phil Egan and Michael Mitchell, along with Jeff Hogg, Tony Free, Craig Lambert, Michael Pickering, Peter Wilson, Trevor Poole, Brett Deledio and Mark Coughlan.

Was a much easier exercise prior to 2017 ....... not now its a nightmare.
Great breakdown of eras!
I was 80s onwards so the only two I can consider from that top list is Weightman and Rioli (both latter years).

Grimes Gaspar DKellaway
Vlastuin Rance Houli
Campbell Rioli Maxfield
Edwards Richardson Deledio
Riewoldt Lynch Brown
Nankervis Martin Cotchin
Knights JBowden Gale Weightman, Newman

I know I’ve missed a few here.

B: Vlastuin Turner Grimes
HB: J.Bowden Rance Newman
C: S.Edwards Knights Campbell
HF: Martin Richardson Brown
F: Riewoldt Lynch Rogers
R: B.Gale Cotchin Prestia

IC: K.Lambert Foley Deledio Houli

Medical sub: Townsend

2006 onwards for me

B: Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin
HB: Astbury, Bowden, Houli
C: Richardson, Cotchin, Deledio
HF: Martin, Lynch ,Brown
F: Bolton, Riewoldt, Edwards
R: Maric, Coughlan, Foley

IC: Lambert, Tuck, Prestia, Newman

Medisub: Rioli

Thinking of "best sides" I'd go 1973, 2017 & 95. 73 for my first GF 17 for the drought breaking and 95 cos they were good to watch
Yeah. 1973 stands out for me too.

A little too young to appreciate the significance of 1967 & 1969 and after the heartbreak of 1972 when we expected to witness the first premiership we could celebrate; 1973 will never be topped for me.

I love every single one of those premiership players. Amazing how my whole life changed in the space of 6 quarters of football from half time in the '73 prelim. And to beat the scum that inflicted the pain in 1972!! God bless them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back