Business & Finance Best time to buy a car

Remove this Banner Ad

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Whats the best time of the year to buy a car (read what times of the year do they have the best sales)

Im 26 and only ever owned two cars, first when I was 18 that I bought for 4grand then brought a 16k ford about 3 years later that I've had since that now has over 200ks on the clock

I dont really like the idea of spending money on a car so I'll either get something really nice or something really cheap, nothing in the middle. I'll also want to buy right at the best time

So would it be EOFY sales or are there other periods like Christmas etc where dealerships put on good sales

All info on hunting good car prices appreciated

Thanks

Are you buying a used car? Or looking for 100% new? If used I would just lowball people on car sales until you find someone that genuinely needs quick money.

If you're buying new I would try and find when sales target periods roll over and buy then. Would imagine these would be quarterly.

End of financial year usually some big savings to be had on new cars. Used, I would do the same as above and find someone desperate to sell, make sure to get if any finances are owed in that case though.

Are you buying a used car? Or looking for 100% new? If used I would just lowball people on car sales until you find someone that genuinely needs quick money.

If you're buying new I would try and find when sales target periods roll over and buy then. Would imagine these would be quarterly.

If I go for a nice/expensive car it'll be new, if i go the cheap route I'm not exactly sure, I'll be open to both but would still probably prefer new

I never understood buying a brand new car. They depreciate so quickly.
I just bought a new car. In my opinion it is better to have a new car that you will look after and have it last ten years or more than buy a second hand one and have to pay for repairs all the time.

I just bought a new car. In my opinion it is better to have a new car that you will look after and have it last ten years or more than buy a second hand one and have to pay for repairs all the time.

True I guess. I usually am picky and get something reliable that has been run in without having too many km's.

In addition to EOFY, I know VW (and I'd expect a few other places) are always running a sale, usually free extras, low interest rate, discount price or free on road costs, or some combination of those. The catch is they only run it on certain models at one time, so if you want a Polo you might have to wait for them to get through the Jetta sale and then the Amarok sale (if that makes sense).

In the past they've been worth waiting for if you have the luxury of time.

I never understood buying a brand new car. They depreciate so quickly.

This. We just bought a car for my wife, done 10,000 k's, brand new condition, still has plenty of original warranty tho we paid for extended warranty for extra peace of mind. Saved 7 grand. Plenty of demo models or newish cars with low k's out there. Would never buy new.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mole protection??

haha ming mole is the girl that mysteriously emerges post purchase to try and seduce you into paying ridiculous money for paint protection, interior protection, tinting etc. I think yards make as much margin if not more on these after sales gimmicks as they do on selling the vehicles. Ridiculous mark-ups on these products and services.

Anybody had issues buying a used car from a private seller or dealer? Will be doing either of these very soon and would like some tips.

Anybody had issues buying a used car from a private seller or dealer? Will be doing either of these very soon and would like some tips.

No, never had issues. The key is to know what you're looking for. Narrow it down to only a couple of models, give them a drive and just look at the basics like km's, signs of rust or accidents, leaks etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back