FTA-TV Best TV series' of the last 5 - 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Another vote for the wire here. At the start you are thinking 'uh this is OK I guess' before you know it the season is done and you are completely hooked.
Have to say we have watched up to about 6 eps into season 2 of Breaking Bad and just cannot get into it at all.
Hooked on GoT like everyone else
Also house of cards is outstanding, Spacey is brilliant in it

One that is not very well known but is one of the best if not the best comedy of the past 10 years is Blue Mountain State.

Ripper call, Thad Castle has to be one of the all time great TV characters.

It's up there with The League, The Inbetweeners, and It's Always Sunny as my favourite comedies, check them out if you haven't already.

Six Feet Under .... daylight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rome was better, that was fantastic.
Rome was great I agree, but Spartacus never, ever tried to be another Rome.

People shouldn't really compare the two even though they're the same era.

Spartacus isn't for everyone, but is a guilty pleasure, just heaps of fun and caters to a much different audience to Rome. It's final season was tremendous. Comparing to the movies 300 or Gladiator is more apt.

Ripper call, Thad Castle has to be one of the all time great TV characters.

Blue mountain state is a hidden gem of a show, Thad is yep, one of the best comedy characters ever. I liked the first season best, I think they had writers strike issues or something after that as the next 2 seasons weren't as good imo, but still had some classic eps.

The pocket pussy one was the best!

Blue mountain state is a hidden gem of a show, Thad is yep, one of the best comedy characters ever. I liked the first season best, I think they had writers strike issues or something after that as the next 2 seasons weren't as good imo, but still had some classic eps.

The pocket pussy one was the best!

I actually prefer season 3 over season 1. When I go back and rewatch episodes I find myself watching more season 3 episodes than season 1. Radon was a brilliant character so it's a shame season 2 was so poor.

Pocket Pussy was a great episode though.

Six Feet Under .... daylight

Yeah, that would be mine, even if that is stretching the 5-10 a little bit. The West Wing and Friday Night Lights aren't too far behind. True Detective and Fargo (both amazingly this year) would be have to be up there as well. Southland is close as well but has to be the most underrated show in the history of television, how that show didn't win awards is beyond me.

Australian: Rake & Wentworth.
US/Canada: Hannibal, Orphan Black, Justified, Continuum, True Detective & Fargo.
Europe: The Bridge, Spiral, Braquo, The Tunnel & Borgen.
Guilty Pleasures: Person of Interest, White Collar, Nikita & Castle (Stana Katic is seriously stunning).

Last edited:
Another vote for the wire here. At the start you are thinking 'uh this is OK I guess' before you know it the season is done and you are completely hooked.
Have to say we have watched up to about 6 eps into season 2 of Breaking Bad and just cannot get into it at all.
Hooked on GoT like everyone else
Also house of cards is outstanding, Spacey is brilliant in it

Missus and I are the same, people who have watched it when does it really start to pick up?

The Wire
The Sopranos
Game Of Thrones
Breaking Bad

Absolutely must watch shows all of them.

Beyond that True Detective S1 was awesome if not just for Harrellson and McConaghey's performance, powerful stuff for TV, Sons Of Anarchy is great, The Walking Dead can meander a little but is still worth the watch, ditto Boardwalk Empire which should also get credit for it's immaculate setpieces, Orange Is The New Black is well worth your time too and lastly House Of Cards for Spacey.

All are great to watch but the top 4 IMO are at the highest level of TV possible.

We gave up on Breaking Bad about season 3.

The Wire was just so damn boring we quit in Season 2.

Sons of Anarchy got repetitive for mine and gave up after about 3 seasons.

I find the Walking Dead a chore now too. I get a bit over Rick's angst and the real lack of progress in the show. It's a relationship drama with a few zombies thrown in now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back