Best Value Tablet?

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Travelling overseas next month and looking for a compact affordable tablet to take with me. Only need it for photos and so I can access the internet when there is free Wi-Fi. Suggestions?

Samsung Tab A starts at about $197 for the 7”, then goes up for larger screens. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...sung-galaxy-tab-a-7-0-wi-fi-8gb-white/956464/

Lenovo have plenty of sub $200 options but the 8” Yoga tab3 seems to be the most popular. Appears to have a 8MP camera compared to the 5MP of the Tab A so it might be more worth looking at https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/tablets/lenovo/lenovo-yoga-tab3-16gb-8-tablet/956461/

If your ‘affordable’ is a little more than above affordable and you’re after something a little more premium then Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 line have been heavily discounted since the S3 came out starting with the 8” at $448. It will perform the same functions as the other mentioned ones but it will just be a more responsive unit, has a prettier screen and has a front facing camera as well if you are thinking of video messaging friends and family back home. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...ng-galaxy-tab-s2-8-0-wi-fi-32gb-black/956467/

Travelling overseas next month and looking for a compact affordable tablet to take with me. Only need it for photos and so I can access the internet when there is free Wi-Fi. Suggestions?
Lenovo Tab3 8 plus. Shits all over the Samsung Tab A. The S2 and 3 a different story if you can pay that much.

Or maybe a used Sony Z3 Tablet Compact in good condition for under $200. Few years old now but still a good 8 inch or smaller tablet.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lenovo Tab3 8 plus. Shits all over the Samsung Tab A. The S2 and 3 a different story if you can pay that much.

Or maybe a used Sony Z3 Tablet Compact in good condition for under $200. Few years old now but still a good 8 inch or smaller tablet.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Good luck getting software updates for either model, Lenovo are notorious for a lack of updates, and the Sony is pretty old despite being a nice device.

The new Samsung Tab A range is rumoured to be getting announced with the new Galaxy Note on August 9th. It may be worth waiting till then, because even if you don't get the new model they'll be clearing out the old one.

Good luck getting software updates for either model, Lenovo are notorious for a lack of updates, and the Sony is pretty old despite being a nice device.

The new Samsung Tab A range is rumoured to be getting announced with the new Galaxy Note on August 9th. It may be worth waiting till then, because even if you don't get the new model they'll be clearing out the old one.
This is true. Depends what the needs are I guess. Marshmallow is plenty enough for my tablet requirements. Yes Sony is old but will stand up to other budget models from today. Takes a sim, and runs Marshmallow.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Tab 4 plus, which more of a competitor to the Galaxy S4 than the Tab A, is getting 8.1 and API 27 support later this year. November or something. I don't even think the Tab A is getting that. Seems like only the flagship models within 18-24 months old get the updates now?

I wouldn't mind a Tab A just for debugging but I read they're quite slow?

Tab 4 plus, which more of a competitor to the Galaxy S4 than the Tab A, is getting 8.1 and API 27 support later this year. November or something. I don't even think the Tab A is getting that. Seems like only the flagship models within 18-24 months old get the updates now?

I wouldn't mind a Tab A just for debugging but I read they're quite slow?

Tab4 8 plus definitely a good option if can be afforded. Definitely frustrating with updates. Even highly expensive flagship phones get maybe 2 years max. Nevermind cheaper tablets.

Yea I don't like the lack of ram in the Tab A. I like to look for at least 3GB. Two could get you by. Tab A doesn't even have that. Is why I like the Tab3 8 Plus (or better Lenovo or Samsungs). Snapdragon 625 and 3GB ram which is a good combo not only in this but lots of good low to mid range phones the last year or two.

If happy to play around can probably put Lineage on it easily too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back