Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was the best VFA/VFL Grand Final you have seen? Is it Williamstown's win against Springvale in 1990, Port's greatest premiership win in 1980 against Phil Cleary's Coburg or is it Sandringham coming back to win in 1962 and again in 1994 against all odds?

Billy Swans goal to get Willy home would have to be right up there.

The first game I can ever recall was the 1971 VFA Grand Final between Dandenong and Preston when Frosty Miller was awarded a free kick before the opening bounce and kicked a goal, Dandy got up and won the game by 6 points.

All the ones mentioned so far were great Grand Finals....I remember one in the 1960's where I think the Port coach wanted to take his team off the oval in protest at the umpiring...game was at Punt Rd...

Every Sandringham GF 've seen has been a fantastic experience....1985 after 23 years without a flag....beating Frankston in 1997 when Andy Goodwin completely lost the plot..2005 beating Werribee with Shannon Motlop kicking one of the best goals ever after waltzing through several Werribee players..

But the most enjoyable one was 2004 beating Port Melbourne...after years and years of copping it from Port supporters..especially after the 1977 drubbing they gave us...how sweet it was to beat the Borough in a Grand Final by less than a goal...I still often remember the feeling of when the final siren went..

and after 1982 who would have thought that Port are still trying to win their next premiership...in that time Sandy have won 8 flags to go from 2 flags to 10 and now third behind Williamstown (13) and Port (15)

Remember how good it was for Werribee to win against Port in 1993 after an amazing finals series, with Joskun Aziz at his very best.

Agreed Pazza. The Prelim Final was an absolute corker!! The Bees came from nowhere in that one. Then the following week to get up against raging favorites in Port. Good team for Werribee back then...McDonald, Aziz, Raeburn, Allday, Button. Big Joskun rates as one of the all time VFA greats in my opinion. Very humble man too

What was the one where King hit Jack Azziz and started the crowd invasion at Princes Park in the last quarter?

The best VFA GF was 1985 when the mighty Zebras beat Terry Wheeler's Willy by a kick.

The best VFL GF was 1979 when Wayne Harmes tapped the ball to Kenny Shelson to give the Bluebaggers a five point win.

The best VFL Mk. 2 (aka AFL Reserves) GF was 2004 when the Borough had the tables turned on them by the Zebras!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back