Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was the best VFL/AFL Home & Away game you have seen, whether you were watching it live on TV or at the game itself.

Three games stand out in my book:

-1989 VFL Round 6 Hawthorn v Geelong: The curtain raiser to the epic grand final between the same two teams that year.

-1993 AFL Round 6 Essendon v Geelong: Gary Ablett Senior 14 goals; Paul Salmon 10. Say no more.

2001 AFL Round 16- Essendon v North Melbourne: Kangaroos 69 points up early in the second quarter, yet still lose. Probably Kevin Sheedy’s greatest win outside of his 4 premierships with the Bombers.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

As a brace of games, 2006 Round 4 and round 16, Bulldogs vs Geelong.

Bulldogs won the first game by a point, Geelong won the second game by a point. Griffen vs Ablett were highlights, both games tense right up to the final siren.
Geelong probably the slightly better team in the first game, Bulldogs slightly better the second (noted by both coaches too) which shows footy can be fickle sometimes.

As a brace of games, 2006 Round 4 and round 16, Bulldogs vs Geelong.

Bulldogs won the first game by a point, Geelong won the second game by a point. Griffen vs Ablett were highlights, both games tense right up to the final siren.
Geelong probably the slightly better team in the first game, Bulldogs slightly better the second (noted by both coaches too) which shows footy can be fickle sometimes.
Round 9 2009 against you guys was also one of the best H&A games in my lifetime, as both teams real big guns were on fire in Ablett & Stevie J for us, & Brad Johnson ( until the final kick ) & Aker for the Dogs.

Games I’ve watched live that stood out.

Hawthorn vs Geelong 1989 R6

Geelong vs Melbourne draw in 2006

Hawthorn vs Bulldogs drawn game in 1999.

North Melb vs Swans 1991 - Swans kicked 19 in the first half

Games I’ve watched live that stood out.

Hawthorn vs Geelong 1989 R6

Geelong vs Melbourne draw in 2006

Hawthorn vs Bulldogs drawn game in 1999.

North Melb vs Swans 1991 - Swans kicked 19 in the first half

lol, I'm just looking at that Swans v North game. 19.6 v 13.12 in the first half, same scoring shots and a 30 point lead. They were still 2 points in front at 3/4 time and then didn't score in the last quarter and North won by 54 points. 8 goals 8 behinds to nothing.

Looking at the Brownlow votes, Michael Gallagher, who I remember at Carlton but not at North picked up the 3 votes for 11 disposals, 2 tackles, 13 hitouts and 1 free for. Spargo with 29 touches and 5 goals got the 1 vote while Peter German with 37 touches and 3.2 got nothing, Jeff Chandler with 24 touches, 4 tackles and 1 free against got the 2 votes.

North vs Essendon in round 17, 1999. Always thought this was superior to 2001 as they were 1 and 2 on the ladder. Wasn't quite as high scoring but Carey kicking 10 and Lloyd 7 helped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back