Best Victorian team 1990 - now

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Basing this on how good they were not necessarily how much they played for Australia.

Shield/test

1. Elliott
2. Puckowski
3. Hodge
4. Hussey
5. Jones
6. White
7. Berry
8. Reifel
9. Warne (c)
10. Fleming
11. Siddle
12th man Hughes

One day
1. Elliott
2. Hodge
3. Jones
4. Hussey
5. White
6. O'Donnell's
7. Berry
8. Reifel
9. Warne (c)
10. Fleming
11. Siddle
12th man Harvey

Teams pretty similar I know O'Donnell's at 6 makes the ODI batting line up a fraction thin but backing there would be enough talent ahead of him.

Captain could have been Warne White or Berry but actually think in the rare occasions Warne captained he was pretty good strangers wise.

Interested in others thoughts

Not sure you can select Puckovski, perhaps Harris in his spot.Handscomb unlucky to not be there but not sure who you could drop from your shield/test list.Rogers,has he played enough games for Victoria but I suppose you could say the same about Harris.

Not sure you can select Puckovski, perhaps Harris in his spot.Handscomb unlucky to not be there but not sure who you could drop from your shield/test list.Rogers,has he played enough games for Victoria but I suppose you could say the same about Harris.
Yup fair enough I probably got that wrong and should put Rogers in. Did think about Hanscomb over Hussey but reckon Hussey was better

I should add the hardest call was who bats no 3 between Jones and Hodge as both guns. Just thought Hodge opened at times in short form cricket and Desmo at number 3 seemed natural. Both batted down the order in the longer form. Went with Hodge at 3 there but could easily swap

Yup fair enough I probably got that wrong and should put Rogers in. Did think about Hanscomb over Hussey but reckon Hussey was better
Perhaps in another 5 years Handscomb might be in front of Hussey as I presume he will not play much more Test Cricket.I like your selections and it is not easy to do.

Don't think so. White a far better batsman and in the ODI side couldn't have him ahead of SOD
For Victoria in Shield matches only, McDonald batted at 41 with 8 hundreds and top score of 163. White batted at 36 with 11 hundreds and top score of 150*.

White played 60-odd more matches too.

McDonald also bowled at 28 and White 41.

White was not far better at all, although I will grant his very early debut obviously hurt his career batting average.

Last edited:
For Victoria in Shield matches only, McDonald batted at 41 with 8 hundreds and top score of 163. White batted at 36 with 11 hundreds and top score of 150*.

White played 60-odd more matches too.

McDonald also bowled at 28 and White 41.

White was not far better at all, although I will grant his very early debut obviously hurt his career batting average.
I would def agree McDonald was a better bowler. Stats are useful but don't always tell the full story. Possibly I'd you are playing say at Perth maybe you take McDonald to give you a fourth pace option but otherwise White for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back