Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
What was the best WAFL Grand Final you've seen?

Mine would be the 1997 WAFL Grand Final between South Fremantle & East Fremantle, and also the 1981 decider, Claremont v South Fremantle.

Discuss.

This is like opening Pandora's Box.

'79 was darn good with a bit of good honest biffo.

82, 83 & 84 were pretty good ...............

I think '80 with the Tigers v Sowfs was brilliant, class on every line. Maurice Rioli, TI, Basil, Moss, Beecroft, Krakeour's, Shaw etc.

How can anyone possibly say 2010 wasn't the best ever WAFL Grand Final :)

You could say that with full guarantees if you were 13 years old, yep it was a ripper, but geez some that have come before were brilliant.

I've been told by old fossils that Merv McIntosh in a final back in the '50s, did what Krakeour did but with grunt and force.

Last years was probably the best I've been too, despite the result being the reverse of what I would have liked.....still gutted.

81 was a good game and 1978, East Perth vs Perth is considered a classic. Was a cracking game.

Yeah have to agree on last year's, unbelievable game.

The only non-West Perth granny I've been to was in 1985 and that was a cracker. East fremantle won by less than a kick against Subi...some of the players on show that day too. :eek:

1996 was a fantastic game and was gutted for East Perth which says something coming from a garlic muncher.

1997 deserves a mention too. Souths came back from the dead to win that one and I got to stick up an arrogant uncle was already crowing about Easts taking out the flag at three quarter time. Sumich, Hynes etc played for Souths that day. Was that earl Spalding's brother who gave away the 50 metre penalty that cost them the game?

1986 was a thing of beauty

1986 was special for anyone who followed footy over here. Anyone who had witnessed the absolute shellackings Subiaco copped week in and out over the late 70's and early 80's would have felt happy for Subi to come away with a flag.
I remember the change came along just as Hayden Bunton Jnr came along. It started with a TV report on how he went to the club and adressed the palying squad. The next year he was the coach.
They seemed to be competitive almost immediately that he took over.
Subi fans could fill in with more detail.
I can remember more than one Subi player in tears once they won the big one.
The same team only went down to Hawthorn by two points that year and carried away another flag in 88.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

96 ripped my guts out. But such a great game of footy. The quality of play and aggression from the Tigers and the Royals that day was so far above and beyond what was the WAFL norm back them.

79 was a cracker game, as was 78. Loved the 84 GF as well. Swannies 10.7 in the first quarter, only for Easts to come back with 9 in the second.

Agree they're the 2 best Grand Finals that I have seen probably just shading 1997 and 1999.

1999 wasn't bad but West Perth won by a few goals in the end, they would have had it in the bag by half time if Brendan Fewster had kicked straight. I was right behind Christian Kelly when he nailed that goal from the boundry line to seal it in the last quarter, happy days. Another inspirational effort from captain Peter Mann in that game too :rolleyes:

As a Royals fan it pains me, but 1996 was just amazing to be at.

Was gutted by the result but the exhileration of watching that game ...

The meaning of the result kicked in later - perhaps most so on the train home. I remember when the train stopped at East Perth and you heard "East Perth" come over the speaker and a collective groan went up for sections of the carriage.

As a Royals fan it pains me, but 1996 was just amazing to be at.

Was gutted by the result but the exhileration of watching that game ...

The meaning of the result kicked in later - perhaps most so on the train home. I remember when the train stopped at East Perth and you heard "East Perth" come over the speaker and a collective groan went up for sections of the carriage.

Such a great game of football. Was in the EP rooms after the game and the guys were just sitting there on the ground, you could hear a pin drop in that room. Jeff White chatted to me and a couple of mates and he was almost whispering because he didn't want to seem too loud. Was like the world's most sombre wake.

So many things from that game stand out. Bloody Todd Ridley and his 7 goals. It was also the only time I ever cheered against Chris Lewis. Was it Scott Loving that almost marked in front of the goals in the last quarter, but dropped it?

The punch up in the goalsquare between Laine Spencer and Rocky Gerreyn was interesting. Knowing Spencer a bit back in the day, he was gutted after the game (even though he won) because he'd got into a punch-up with one of his best mates and hated to think that his mate would be pissed at him.

Such a great game of football. Was in the EP rooms after the game and the guys were just sitting there on the ground, you could hear a pin drop in that room. Jeff White chatted to me and a couple of mates and he was almost whispering because he didn't want to seem too loud. Was like the world's most sombre wake.

So many things from that game stand out. Bloody Todd Ridley and his 7 goals. It was also the only time I ever cheered against Chris Lewis. Was it Scott Loving that almost marked in front of the goals in the last quarter, but dropped it?

The punch up in the goalsquare between Laine Spencer and Rocky Gerreyn was interesting. Knowing Spencer a bit back in the day, he was gutted after the game (even though he won) because he'd got into a punch-up with one of his best mates and hated to think that his mate would be pissed at him.

Mate I know how you guys feel after the Grand Final last year. It was truly a privilege to be at that game, even though the result gutted me.

What was worse for Easts fans that year I think was losing Jeremy(?) Silcock on the after season trip. A true tragedy that. He played a hell of a game too.

Last edited:
I don't think I could ever recall a more explosive start than the 1981 WAFL Grand Final between Claremont and the 1980 champions South Fremantle.

The game hardly started before an all-in brawl erupted. Watching the game on DVD, I got the impression that the Bulldogs wanted to rough up Claremont, but the Tigers were able to concentrate more on footy.

And this is where having a playing coach comes in handy. While South coach Mal Brown from watching in the coach's box had to watch his team throw away the grand final by being too undisciplined (ie starting fights, giving away 15 metre penalties), his Claremont counterpart, captain-coach Graham Moss (1976 Brownlow Medallist with Essendon) was able to settle his team down and focus more on the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back