Best WAFL Grand Final seen

Remove this Banner Ad

81 was a fantastic game and even though we lost in 2010 the game was an absolute cracker! too bad we don't get to hear Glenn Mitchell anymore.

Tough one: 81 immediately comes to mind, as does 2010. Enjoyed the Subi win in 86 after they were pumped in the 2nd Semi. the Swans 82 team was pretty amazing. Lewis and Ridley dragging Claremont over the line in 96 by 2 points. Lots to like really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

obviously a lot of "young" posters here.....in terms of rivalry, atmosphere, quality of players and attendance nothing surely surpasses that 79 derby GF....I was only 12 at the time but that game sticks more in my head than any other GF I have seen as an EF and neutral fan since......the WAFL then was the best comp in the land at the time........so many champions running around every weekend across all 8 clubs at the time

obviously a lot of "young" posters here.....in terms of rivalry, atmosphere, quality of players and attendance nothing surely surpasses that 79 derby GF....I was only 12 at the time but that game sticks more in my head than any other GF I have seen as an EF and neutral fan since......the WAFL then was the best comp in the land at the time........so many champions running around every weekend across all 8 clubs at the time
being in my mid 20's I can only say that I've read up, watched highlights and talked to my dad's parents about it (one goes for easts, one for souths).
From what I can gather it was one the greatest football games ever played.

As a west Perth fan, the 1999 and 2013 grand finals stick in my mind...very rewarding to beat the AFL aligned host clubs! Both games were really tight and hard fought contests for three quarters. I still remember the Cripps reversed free kick to Salicic as being a real turning point in 2013.

As a neutral, 1997 was an amazing game as south really played pretty poorly for three quarters but still managed to get the win. Anyone know if there's any footage of this one online? Would love to see it but can't find any on YouTube.

1981 was a great Gf Claremont v SFreo.
1982 Swans played fantastic that day.
1986 Last GF before the Afl expansion.Subi has been the whipping boys for over a decade.
2010 Andrew Krakouer what a game.
1978 The wettest GF in Wafl history. East Perth captain coach Barry Cable.Perth going for 3 in a row.Peter Bosustow played the game of his life.

Last edited:
Its hard to go past 2010. As a Swans supporter, 82 to 84 and 90 were standouts as well.
The 1996 and 97 Grand Finals were great games to watch. That extra AFL experience from Ridley, Lewis and Pyke got Claremont over the line that day.
All 3 Grand Finals in 1997 were decided by less than a goal. The Colts and League winning margin was 6 points and the Reserves game had a 4 point winning margin.
I would also include 1985. Subiaco had a shot in the last minute but scored a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back