Health Best way to prepare for big games

Remove this Banner Ad

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
What is the best way to prepare for a big game of footy? With finals coming up I wan't to be ready to go for each game. What do some of you do in the days, hours, minutes leading up to the opening bounce? Can't get any fitter now, so just preparation tips.

Yeah I can see what you're saying. Last week was my first final for many years (knockout, we won) and another knockout final this week, I've found I have been getting nervous/thinking about the game flat out. How do you switch off? On the morning I was nervous and come the first bounce I felt lethargic like i'd already used up my energy. What's the best food to eat?

What is the best way to prepare for a big game of footy? With finals coming up I wan't to be ready to go for each game. What do some of you do in the days, hours, minutes leading up to the opening bounce? Can't get any fitter now, so just preparation tips.
Well, a good way to prepare is to get s**t faced the night before, and I mean ****ed up. Then while you're doing your warm up the coach should notice you stumbling about, throwing up over the fence, and with any luck, might start you on the bench. :straining:

Yeah I can see what you're saying. Last week was my first final for many years (knockout, we won) and another knockout final this week, I've found I have been getting nervous/thinking about the game flat out. How do you switch off? On the morning I was nervous and come the first bounce I felt lethargic like i'd already used up my energy. What's the best food to eat?
Stay hydrated leading into games, drink lots of water 2 days out and continue into game day. Game day don't eat heavy just eat light but energetic breakfasts and snacks, like bananas, toasts, juices, try to avoid caffeine since it dehydrates (eg. coffee). Banana on toast is a pretty good way to go and it's quick to digest.

If you're nervous, redirect it somewhere else like some light exercise, stretches, maybe some jogging on the spot or something, a really light jog a few hours before you start to warm up for the game. You're always going to be nervous in a final, that's the point, you just need to relax.

Re food: I always find bananas a good choice before any game/exercise. I usually eat 3-4 on gameday at breakfast or just before the game. I also make sure I piss/s**t before a game. I always freak out about the thought of having to come off for a bog or a slash, even at half-time, and running around trying to hold it in is an awful feeling, so that helps keep things settled.

Re food: I always find bananas a good choice before any game/exercise. I usually eat 3-4 on gameday at breakfast or just before the game. I also make sure I piss/s**t before a game. I always freak out about the thought of having to come off for a bog or a slash, even at half-time, and running around trying to hold it in is an awful feeling, so that helps keep things settled.
LOL 3 or 4 bananas, no wonder you need to s**t before you play.

Don't avoid caffeine. If you usually have a coffee Mon-Fri, make sure you still have a coffee game day as your body is used to the caffeine and it will have a negative effect if you don't have it. Plenty of athletes take caffeine pills/gels before games, although I wouldn't suggest that if you've never had them before. Just stick to what you've been doing.

Back your routine that you go with. I personally like to get to the ground early (always anxious about not getting to the ground on time), and often instead of walking to the ground I may get a cab or a ride with someone else, but not much else changes.

Should try and stick to your normal routine at all times. Mine is to get to the ground just before half time of the game before me (dont like getting there too early). Watch a bit of the footy, walk the ground a bit at half time then use 2nd half to get ready (bit of a joke with the boys, rub downs, stretching, warm up etc).

Nerves happen before big games, just go with them. Nerves are not a bad thing, just dont stress TOO much (try to occupy your mind with music/tv or something at home before you get to the game) There is enough going on at the ground to occupy your mind if nerves get too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back