• Matera sets sail for home! 1992

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Chick......Hunta!!!!

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Sheeds 2018 impossible goal

Votes: 65 75.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been debating it in my head all day.

Sheed's goal comfortably sits number 2 and nudges number 1 in terms of skill and class required, the Chick/ Hunter goal shifts down to 3.

In terms of a clutch goal there has been no better but. Great that we had it in Sheed's hands as a left footer, if it was a right footer the degree of difficulty would've been much greater although WHE kicked a right foot goal from a similar position in the first quarter.

All goals eventuate to the same outcome but. PREMIERSHIP GOALS

Even if Sheed kicked in from directly in front it would be my pick. After the passage of play, 2 minutes to go, the match winning goal, unbelievable. I feared we'd wasted our chances (as did many) when they kicked it in and Gov marked, but that play will be immortalised in Eagles folklore.

These memorable words from Sandy Roberts will stay with me till I die.

"And the Eagles set sail for home and say catch me if you can."

But Sheed's goal was special.

We had four shots for goal in that last quarter three of which should have been sodas and one was extremely difficult.

Masten, Kennedy and Ryan fluffed their lines and as for the the difficult shot............ Sheed nailed it.

Will go down as an Eagles Classic Goal and you would imagine its a goal thats going to get Dom many free lunches and many free drinks for the rest of his life.
You've been very critical of him this season. Thoughts on his last month and a bit Monocle?

The composure to kick a goal from there at that stage of the game was quite simply unbelievable. Especially for a player who’s composure under pressure has been questioned.

And it never looked like missing

Also goals on the run are instinctive so players don’t have to deal with the demons inside their head as they line up. A set shot from the boundary with 2 minutes left and your team trailing being abused by thousands of screaming supporters (some only metres away) how many demons you reckon Sheed had running around his head. The definition of clutch
Not just any old nissan micra clutch either

We are talking kenworth quad trailer pulling clutch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m mostly happy that we have so many great grand final memories we can actually have a debate.

Imagine being a Freo fan
giphy.gif

That spear from Mcgovern that found Vardy in the middle of 3 collingwood players was just incredible aswell.

That passage of play is just going to grow and grow over time .........

So many stories for all the players involved in that passage.

McGovern - nearly didn't play
Vardy - the injuries he has indured
Ryan - first game at the MCG
Sheed - Gaff replacement
Rioli - Rioli

Cousins' running goal in '06 was amazing. Hardly see any of those type of goals anymore in finals anymore.

Sheed's was one of the most composed of all time tho

That spear from Mcgovern that found Vardy in the middle of 3 collingwood players was just incredible aswell.

I keep watching that kick. It is insanely good and under rated in all the talk.

Vardy has 3 pies within 5 metres and the bullett hits him.

Brilliant

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at all of this and remembering the calls that go with them...unfortunately we have BT & Ling et al calling this great moment instead of Cometti "Cork in the ocean" or Roberts "set sail for home" even Quatermain's "Hunter...HUNterr...HUNNNTERRR" I guess in fairness it was a set shot but still the combo above were never going to give us anything iconic.

Back