Review Best win, worst loss, greatest asset, greatest weakness?

Our best win?

• Essendon 17.14 (116) def. Hawthorn 12.19 (91)

• Brisbane Lions 12.12 (84) def. by Essendon 17.9 (111)

• Essendon 15.10 (100) def. Collingwood 11.16 (82)

• Essendon 17.8 (110) def. Geelong Cats 13.15 (93)

• Essendon 19.11 (125) def. West Coast Eagles 8.16 (64)

• Essendon 19.17 (131) def. Port Adelaide 8.13 (61)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So I was reading this article and it gave me an idea:

Tom Morris said:
BEST WIN SO FAR
ESSENDON’s victory over Geelong in Round 8 and its most recent win against Port Adelaide on Saturday evening were both uplifting and important victories, but no success has matched the emotion-charged night of March 25.

In front of 78,294 fans at the MCG (the biggest ever crowd between these two sides in a home and away match), the Bombers squashed Hawthorn by 25 points to get their season up and going in the best possible fashion.

Six of the 10 returning players took part in the game and, despite trailing by 14 points early in the second half, it was these six that helped push the team over the line.

It was a stirring evening for the red and black and the celebrations post-game matched the raw emotion during it.

WORST LOSS SO FAR
THE aforementioned flat spot started in Round 3 against Carlton when the Bombers booted just 6.6 (42) in a 15-point loss.

The Dons were no match for the Blues in wet conditions, overusing the ball to record its first loss for the season.

GREATEST ASSET
No team has taken more marks per game than Essendon. Much of this aerial dominance can be attributed to its multi-pronged forward-line. Only three sides (Adelaide, GWS and Geelong) have scored more points than the Bombers in 2017, with five players average a goal or better per game.

John Worsfold has goalkicking options coming out of his ears. Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish, Brendon Goddard and James Stewart have hardly impacted on the scoreboard despite all being proven forwards. This means that Essendon has scope for even more improvement in the front half, regardless of how dangerous it looks at the moment.

GREATEST WEAKNESS
BEFORE Saturday night’s morale-boosting victory over Port Adelaide, Essendon’s midfield was one of the worst performing on-ball brigades in the competition. They may still be ranked 17th for clearance differential and 17th for inside 50 differential, but Round 12 could signal a swift upturn.

With Zach Merrett, Brendon Goddard, Dyson Heppell and Jobe Watson all amassing 30 or more touches each, this was Essendon’s midfield at its best. It may have taken three months to gel properly, but now it has, Bombers fans will be hoping the chemistry remains for the next three months.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/201...o/news-story/549685a3ced2b5e17aa61ea24cef17c8

What do you think our best win was? Our worst loss? Our greatest asset? Our greatest weakness?

For me:
Greatest win: ANZAC day. Take that, record books!
Worst loss: The Carlton game was an abomination, but the one I felt was probably the Richmond game. So close, and yet so far. :(
Greatest asset: Michael Hurley. His consistent rebounding efforts out of defence have saved our bacon more times than I can count.
Greatest weakness: The damned clearance count. Our inside 50s would be done the world of good if they weren't reliant on turnovers and rebound out of defence.

Greatest win: Geelong. Stopped the best 1-2 combo in the competition. Feels good not being hammered like the past 10 years.
Worst loss: Fremantle. Disgusting final quarter losing by 37 against a team that averages 76 points.
Greatest asset: Joe Daniher 34.18 12 games into the season, reckon he snags 8 against someone this year.
Greatest weakness: Kick ins. Were excellent against port but were poor previously.

Greatest win: Port or Geelong. I went with Port because that was a 4 quarter performance, but Geelong to me was our "breakout" game. If we're talking about the "feel good story" game, then it's Hawthorn.
Worst loss: Fremantle and it isn't close IMO. 27 points up and dominating the contest, then roll over completely in the last quarter to concede 116 points to Fremantle.
Greatest asset: Joe Daniher and the forwardline in general. From one of the worst forward line in the competition to one of the best in one off-season. Amazing really and such a joy to watch.
Greatest weakness: Midfield and transition from defence, but we were excellent against Port in this area.

Greatest win: West Coast. we demolished them. great to see us putting teams right out of it early on in the game.

Worst loss: Carlton. a bit of rain and full Essington mode

Greatest asset: a very potent forward line. wow, can't believe I'm saying that!! Daniher, Fantasia, Tippa, Stewart, Hooker and Bird... all are very dangerous at the moment.

Greatest weakness: wet weather football. we are dreadful at it. I'm sick of seeing clouds and rain in the forecast and knowing we will lose.

Best win: Geelong. No contest. How many times have been on the receiving end from this mob?

Worst loss: Carlton. Inexplicably we were still in a position to win with 10 minutes left. I would like to play them on a dry day at the MCG later in the year though.

Asset/s: Daniher, Hurley & Merrett.

Weakness: Still haven't proven to be consistent or reliable in performance... win or lose.

Best Win: Port Adelaide - they had their full list available, literally no injuries and had been dishing out beltings left and right to the bottom 8 teams. They had just thrashed Hawthorn the week prior and went in full of confidence and then....we simply wrecked them in the first 10 minutes of the game. It was fantastic.

Worst Loss: Melbourne - Most will say Carlton but this game was an absolute disaster and there wasn't any real excuses (except a short break i suppose). The first half was some of the worst football you'll ever see. Turnovers all over the place. Daniher was dominating but couldn't kick a goal to save his life that day. Losing by 39 points was shocking considering that there was nothing really in the game - except us making tons of mistakes under minimal pressure.

Greatest Asset: The forward line continues to grow and I believe it will loom very large later this year and in years to come. Its still a very young and inexperienced forward line but the talent is absolutely there. Teams are going to be terrified of Daniher, Hooker, Tippa and Fantasia in years to come.

Weaknesses: Inside ball winners with pace. We don't have any quality ones right now. It means we have to generate too much of our scoring from half back and also we keep getting beaten in inside 50s as a result.

West Coast. Completely dismantled a good side from start to finish
Carlton. * Carlton
Forward line is currently the second best in the AFL.
Midfield. One of the weakest in the AFL.

Port Adelaide - 3.5 quarters. took their game away from them. 131pts
Richmond - Too many sloppy errors. Was a game we should have won
Asset - Fwd line and it's efficiency. Particularly Hooker's ability to take defenders away from Daniher.
Weakness - Consistency. Our best will hurt the best of teams. We need to protect leads better and keep the intensity going for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....and from the misses volt
Geelong
Carlton
Playing as a team and gelling as a team.
The fact that we need to continue gelling more as a team.

Best win was against Port. Was a complete and utter demolishing.

Worst loss was against Carlton because we just did not adapt at all to the conditions.

Biggest Asset is our combination of Daniher/Hooker with Tippa/Fantasia to create a four headed beast not many teams can match.

Greatest weakness is an ability to play a more contested game style. When teams drag us into a scrap we look lost.

Best win was Geelong - Saw signs of swift movement the previous week against Fremantle
Worst Loss was Melbourne - JD kicks straight in the first half, then we are 4 goals up at half time, in a game in which both teams played poorly.
Best Asset is ball movement
Greatest weakness is the third tall defender.

Best win: Port Adelaide. We looked slick. Maybe port were just unbelievably bad but we were in complete control.
Worst Loss: Melbourne. I really wanted to win especially with Hibberd playing against us
Best Asset: Forward line
Greatest weakness: Inconsistency - Possibly due to essentially being two playing groups joined together. Will hopefully just be a matter of time.

Best win: West Coast. More contested footy and yet still able to show our new trademark run and carry.
Worst Loss: Melbourne. Carlton. Over used the ball in wet conditions. Would have taken a lot from it.
Best Asset: Game plan that plays to our strengths.
Greatest weakness: Kryptonite.

BEST WIN: Hawthorn. A win that means that much can't be beaten unless it's a final. The Port game is our best performance as far as playing the way we are training to play.

WORST LOSS: Melbourne. That was horrid. I don't think I've seen as many unforced errors where we missed targets and goals with little physical pressure before folding at the end like we didn't want to compete.

BEST ASSET: small forward options with goal sense and forward pressure. You can't mind 3-4 evasive forwards when they are all dangerous and lurking.

GREATEST WEAKNESS: We lack a gun elite inside/outside mid to help lift our inside 50s.

our best can beat anyone in the comp.

our problem is we have the consistency of sand paper. We are very much Jekyll and Hyde at the moment.

Back