Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
To the Gold Coast supporters on here, and to the GC17 bid officials if they read this forum.
Best wishes for the presentation to the AFL tomorrow, and hopefully we'll soon be hearing confirmation that a 17th team has been admitted to the AFL. It's an exciting new direction for the game, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new club unfolds over the next couple of years.
To have signed up 39,000 potential supporters is a fantastic show of support for the club - and to have done that while still over 2 years away from the proposed club stepping on the field for their first game shows that there is a residual groundswell of interest in our game on the Gold Coast that can be tapped into to create a new expansion frontier.

Good luck GC17, here's hoping there's good news for you.:thumbsu:

Cheers,
Michael / Glory and Fame (West Sydney).

Fantastic G&F thanks for the support

Lets hope me and Coastbhoy and Swamp Creature and the other two supporters we currently have can crack open a bottle of champers this time tommorrow!:thumbsu:

In all seriousness, a fantastic job by John Witherall and co. in getting to this stage....

Looking forward to the official confirmation

I don't think we will be hearing anything worth cracking open a bottle of champagne tomorrow, I believe it will be a few weeks before we hear anything.

According to the GC Bulletin:

"GC17, who will be represented at the meeting by bid team leader John Witheriff and Munn, will then have to wait a couple of weeks before learning their fate."

Fantastic G&F thanks for the support

Lets hope me and Coastbhoy and Swamp Creature and the other two supporters we currently have can crack open a bottle of champers this time tommorrow!:thumbsu:

In all seriousness, a fantastic job by John Witherall and co. in getting to this stage....

Looking forward to the official confirmation

I hear you , will be relief to just hear it confirmed , but put that champers on ice , as Father Jack says it might be a week or two before we get word.

A little something from the GC team...

Today is a truly historic day with the GC17 Bid team presenting their submission to the AFL Commission. This submission is in response to the criteria which was set by the AFL back in April – and what a six months it's been!
THANK YOU FROM GC 17

After a hectic six month campaign, the GC 17 Bid Team today submitted our proposal to the AFL Commission. Over the next couple of weeks, we will eagerly await for a decision to be made on whether or not the Gold Coast will be granted the 17th license by the AFL.
We would like to send out our sincere thanks to you and all supporters who showed their support for AFL on the Gold Coast by registering as a GC 17 Supporter. It is with great pleasure we announce we have smashed our target and achieved 42,000 supporters in total – more than double the number required!
As well as thanking every one of our supporters, we would like to give special thanks to our media partners 1029 Hot Tomato, Prime and the Gold Coast Bulletin as well as all of our local Gold Coast AFL clubs, Gold Coast schools and GC 17 Volunteers for their support throughout the bid process.
We hope you will continue with us on our journey to become the most exciting sporting club in Australia!
Kind regards,
The GC17 Bid Team

I ver much like the way they ask you what your preference is, the idea of the pickup bus to the ground, whether you want tickets or credit card style membership, its all very thorough and well planned.

I can see this team will be very professional:thumbsu:

I ver much like the way they ask you what your preference is, the idea of the pickup bus to the ground, whether you want tickets or credit card style membership, its all very thorough and well planned.

I can see this team will be very professional:thumbsu:

I know, it was great to be asked. I went the actual tickets, as you can keep them, and they show the match. I still have our 2001 GF tickets. lol.

i dont care about buses as we will be travelling from the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, so its car all the way for us.

Now if they had accomodation packages thrown in, I would be rapt. lol.

This from the AFL website

GC17 makes final submission
Jennifer Witham and AAP
4:20 PM Mon 13 October, 2008

GC17 bid chairman John Witheriff

THE GOLD Coast is confident of claiming the AFL's 17th licence after making a final submission to the AFL Commission on Monday.

GC17 bid team leader John Witheriff said the criteria set out by the AFL had not only been fulfilled but exceeded, and AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said the commission had been impressed with the submission.

The bid document, which ran to more than 400 pages, now will be reviewed by the commission.

"The commission will test, analyse and validate the GC17 submission and business models and will be doing that over the coming weeks," Demetriou said.

GC17 was given six months to sign up 20,000 would-be members and 110 business sponsors as well as a major naming rights sponsor.

"We got 43,000 (members) in the end," said Witheriff, who confirmed a total 124 business had committed to the club.

"That is what gives me the greatest level of comfort because I thought that was going to be our toughest challenge, but it turned out that, not only did we hit the 20,000, but we hit the 40,000 and we continue to grow."

A nationally known company has signed up for the club's naming rights.

Demetriou said it was clear that GC17 had done an enormous amount of work to build strong community and business support for an AFL team.

"John was very passionate about how the Gold Coast community would provide the foundations for a strong and successful AFL club but was equally passionate about how an AFL team would return significant economic and social – as well as sporting – benefits to the Gold Coast community through increased jobs, greater economic and tourist activity and greater opportunities for local families."

Witheriff said the submission had been well received by the commission.

"We walked through the strategy, our case basically, and told them why they should invest tens of millions of dollars in our new team," he said.

"It was exceptionally well received, but they've got to do their homework now and work out whether out assumptions are valid or otherwise.

"But we're pretty confident about that.

"We'll be on the edge of our seats for the next couple of weeks."

GC 17 also announced on Monday it had signed two more young Queenslanders to its playing list in Nick Price and Joseph Daye .

The promising duo joins five other Queenslanders including Jesse Haberfield, Jack Stanlake, Jack Stanley, Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon as players to have committed to the inaugural team.

GC 17 has access to pre-sign up to 20 Queensland players of eligible drafting age in 2009 and 2010. The players will then be part of the development side that will play in the TAC Cup next year and the VFL in 2010.

The team will play in the AFL from 2011 if the licence application is successful.

I thought the most interesting option was the preference for a 'traditional' jumper vs a design, and so help me but this is what they said, that was like Brisbane's away jumper. If they mean the piss-stained one, then I certainly hope the vote goes overwhelmingly the other way.

I thought the most interesting option was the preference for a 'traditional' jumper vs a design, and so help me but this is what they said, that was like Brisbane's away jumper. If they mean the piss-stained one, then I certainly hope the vote goes overwhelmingly the other way.

I voted traditional.
The urine stained one is just plain awful.

I know, it was great to be asked. I went the actual tickets, as you can keep them, and they show the match. I still have our 2001 GF tickets. lol.

i dont care about buses as we will be travelling from the Sunshine Coast Hinterland, so its car all the way for us.

Now if they had accomodation packages thrown in, I would be rapt. lol.

Im with you im coming from Noosa Heads for now, but travelling is the least of my concerns, I am just about to start a contract for 2 years, after that Im going to move there, hopefully John Witheroff, if you read this can I have a job at Minter Ellison, im admitted in March, please John? PM me!

I dont think theres any doubt about it going through.

I must say they've done a brilliant job. The team of Witheriff and McKenzie and Co are extremely competent and have an excellent understanding of the Gold Coast sports fans. (unlike the fat idiots who run the NRL and soccer clubs)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think theres any doubt about it going through.

I must say they've done a brilliant job. The team of Witheriff and McKenzie and Co are extremely competent and have an excellent understanding of the Gold Coast sports fans. (unlike the fat idiots who run the NRL and soccer clubs)

*Bump* Those fat idiots at the Titans must be quivering in their boots. Nonetheless, good luck in February, GC17. :)

Why on earth would they keep delaying it? Is it to maximise the publicity coming into a new season?

Hope that is all it is.

Well, here's what they said in October (earlier in this thread):

"But we're pretty confident about that.

"We'll be on the edge of our seats for the next couple of weeks."

And here's what they say now: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/16/2447402.htm?section=sport

"We really didn't expect an outcome when we first put our submission in. We knew it would take some time, so we weren't holding our breath," he said.

In short, I wouldn't believe a word coming out of the GC17 mouthpiece, because it is clearly designed for media spin, not honest dissemination of information.

samiam is beggining to sound like a rugby league troll. Keep that champers on ice Stereophonic, hopefully it only gets better with age.

Not trolling. Just don't like spin merchants. A few months ago the spin was "any second now". Now it is "we always knew it would take time".

No one likes being treated by an idiot, even by those with a good cause (and I think that is how you can classify GC17 FWIW).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back