Travel Best/Worst cities you have been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not going there to see the sights mate. I'm going to watch darts.
The forint was easy enough to decipher after a while - put a decimal point two spots from the right, halve it, and you had roughly the amount in Australian dollars. At least that's how it worked while I was there.
Ahhh okay I wasn't being a campaigner, I was just saying it's a total shithole and trying to be light hearted about it. There are no sights and it's still a shithole walking from A to B. Das all mane.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last weekend Munich became my favourite city. In fact Bavaria for me is the most beautiful and friendly region in the world.

F***ing hated Rome. Left there this morning, happy to see the back of it.

Can see it's appeal - the history is f***ing breathtaking, and the food there was phenomenal. But the people are rude (they have a serious problem with spacial awareness) and the overflow of tourists just killed me. We waited an hour at the colosseum and still had an hour minimum to get in so we footed it.

F***ing hated Rome. Left there this morning, happy to see the back of it.

Can see it's appeal - the history is f***ing breathtaking, and the food there was phenomenal. But the people are rude (they have a serious problem with spacial awareness) and the overflow of tourists just killed me. We waited an hour at the colosseum and still had an hour minimum to get in so we footed it.

Easily the least favourite of my now ending six city tour. In my opinion:

Vienna > Budapest > Salzburg > Florence >>> Venice >>> Rome.

Also the least clean and most likely to rip you off. Been there twice now, won't be a third any time soon.

Easily the least favourite of my now ending six city tour. In my opinion:

Vienna > Budapest > Salzburg > Florence >>> Venice >>> Rome.

Also the least clean and most likely to rip you off. Been there twice now, won't be a third any time soon.
Of the 3 of those where we stayed (spent a two hour stop in Salzburg and 5 hours at a train station bar in Vienna) my rankings would be the same.

There's a strong correlation between too many tourists and a city being painful.

Rome is a great example. Would be an epic city but so many tourists just make it very very hard, and all the locals get pissed off as a result.

Keep in mind it would be peak tourist season in Italy. I went last year around the start of September and it was great. Weather was still warm and although still busy, wasn't completely swarmed by tourists.

Not saying Budapest is bad at all, I really liked the place despite being basically knackered and keeping around the same area, but I'm just saying the Forint is annoying. That's all!

The most annoying thing about the Forint is its similar appearance to Thai Baht (drunk, in a taxi at 4am sans interior light) when the cab driver takes a 20,000 Forint note from you and hands you back change in various Baht notes. This happened to a couple of people I know, newbie travellers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lisbon is a brilliant city yet to be ruined completely by tourists. Cheap food and transport with accomodation being reasonable. Loads of awesome beaches, even if the water is rather cold. Very easy on the eye too

The food is amazing as well.

It has an interesting mix of old historic areas and trendy modern areas, we were there a couple of years after the World Expo was held there where they had redeveloped the waterfront area with a strip of new restaurants, bars and nightclubs, it was a fun place to go out. Nice weather and beaches there too.

I loved Rome, thought it was fantastic.

Munich is definitely one of my fave cities. Impossible to be a beer lover and not enjoy it.

I wish I'd seen more of Munich when I was there, I spent most of my time at Oktoberfest and our campground but it was a nice city from what I saw of it.

Rome is a great town but the food in the middle is a huge rip off. You don't have to go that far out but there are some cool little suburbs with no tourists at all and beautiful old buildings everywhere, really cheap good food, nice people... the city centre is definitely overwhelming but it's made worse because it's usually hot. Also who doesn't expect a long line for the Coliseum? You get them at every major attraction.

Londoners are also terrible walkers I've observed... also the city is going to hell - people don't give a s**t and are adopting the Stockholm mentality of losing basic humanity - pushing people in trains, not stopping, walking through you, texting and walking... in fact London this time has massively disappointed me. Expensive, the food is unbelievably awful... I've got a yarn about this Indian place where we paid £30 for the most watery, tasteless two curries and the most rank rice and yet the place was busy and has amazing reviews. I googled it and the staff apparently once gave a customer a flogging because he complained about a hair in his curry - we were about to complain about the chicken being pink... lucky we didn't. No idea how people want to live here when it's so busy, so expensive, the food is absolute s**t, and most of the service is bad. Northern England is way better. Just like Porto is way better than Lisbon.

If I were to offer advice to any traveler to Rome, is to avoid July and August if you can. Such a different dynamic in may or September. Weather is beautiful and the unbearable crowds aren't around. Magnificent city.

Keep in mind it would be peak tourist season in Italy. I went last year around the start of September and it was great. Weather was still warm and although still busy, wasn't completely swarmed by tourists.
Agreed. I was there two years ago in April. Yeah, it was busy, but not impossibly so (except the Vatican of course). Mid-20s every day, so things were still walkable without heat exhaustion. And a lot of the main areas you want to visit in Rome are very walkable. In between the major places you find ruins and other stuff that are not so swamped but still interesting, other things of interest, cheaper better food, and no crowds until you get near the next major site.

Avoiding the main July/August summer holiday is a good idea in any major place in continental western Europe.

Heidelberg is unreal. In such a picturesque part of the world, a beautiful little city on the Rhine and some delicious local beers available.
Agreed.

I think people try to cram too much into a trip and don't enjoy or absorb the culture. I spent 10 days in Germany but decided against trying to go north. I used Konstanz as a base and headed into Switzerland and Leichenstein on easy day trips. Less is better when it comes to travel!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back