Travel Best/Worst cities you have been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

You hadn't heard of Bangkok before? Personally I loved it. Yeah it's all those things you mentioned but I loved it for what it is.

I loved the islands I went to in Thailand but I didn't enjoy Bangkok at all. I was there by myself too which didn't help, hard to have much fun on your own.

I loved the islands I went to in Thailand but I didn't enjoy Bangkok at all. I was there by myself too which didn't help, hard to have much fun on your own.

True, i went with my wife and I imagine alone it would be different. We didnt go to any Thai islands but when too Koh Rong Sanloem off the coast of Cambodia near Sihanoukville. A week with no electricity in a beach bungalow was bliss after Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

upload_2017-6-14_8-43-6.png
upload_2017-6-14_8-43-26.png

True, i went with my wife and I imagine alone it would be different. We didnt go to any Thai islands but when too Koh Rong Sanloem off the coast of Cambodia near Sihanoukville. A week with no electricity in a beach bungalow was bliss after Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

View attachment 381407
View attachment 381408

I went to Koh Samet, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Phi Phi, all great holiday spots and much more fun than Bangkok if you're a single backpacker.

I was in Hong Kong in March. A lot of variation there. Hotties has, humid, rainy some days. Clear days are brilliant.

The built up areas are built up and lots of people. However, there are interesting parks interspersed.

Luckily I was guided by a former student and his family for quite a bit of my travelling around and was taken to interesting beach type places with lots of boats selling fresh caught seafood. Just take your purchase across to a restaurant for them to prepare it.

The Giant Buddha is interesting, but the cable car was being repaired while I was there. Meant a long bus ride on public transport. One beautiful clear day went up the Peak. Queue for the tram was like 3 hours. Again, took local bus. Get a visitor Octopus card as public transport is the way to get around.

Various interesting museums, pagodas, etc. food from the little restaurantsoff the main drags. Real local, no English. Yum.

I had been previously on business trips. Mostly picked up and driven to meetings etc. This time was touristing. I was really surprised how big the area is, and how long it could take to get to places out of the main area.

Has anyone ever been to Shanghai and Hong Kong?

Lived in Both

Hong Kong is an awesome city. It has whatever you want. Street life? tick. Nature and hiking? tick Nightlife? tick Beaches? tick This is beyond the well known attraction like the peak and the Big Buddha (overrated)

Shanghai is Meh. Once you have seen the lights and the French Concession, then there's not much else to it. It looks like any other big city in China, but without a lot of personality. The cities around Shanghai are nice though, especially Hangzhou and Shaoxing.

Never heard a good word said about Dubai. I know plenty of people who've been there from many walks of life but they all hate it.

There is the tiny little "old Dubai" that has some cultural significance, and yeah there's the water park and the Burj - but the city itself just has an awful vibe of Money, greed and cheap labour. Somewhere people spend time to make money so they can enjoy life elsewhere. Culturally devoid.

I love travelling, can only say I have not disliked any place. There is goodness to be found anywhere if you are willing you look for it.

I loved: Marakesh, Paris, Abu Dhabi, Rome, London, New York.

All something different but great to offer.

Loved going to Hawaii and to Los Angeles and San Franciso.

Hated St Louis obisbo. The roadhouse we stayed at basically bullied us as we didn't realise that there was a strict rule that we had to be there by 4pm. We got there 10 minutes late and as punishment they gave us the most disgusting room ever. They failed to clean all the urine, vomit and s**t that was all over the place. It was the most grossest room ever with the foulest smell in there as well. It literally stunk like the local s**t farm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best - Takayama and Tokyo. I had multiple "take your breath away" moments in both. I haven't travelled much, so that's the first time it's really happened to me. Both amazing places.

Another +1 for Tokyo. Had heard lots before going about how pricey it was but I found it to be the complete opposite. Lots to see and do and it's also very safe. Random fact - if you like guitars I highly recommend a place called Ochanomizu which has this world renowned street populated with wall to wall music shops. Must see.
Agreed. Before I went, I had heaps of people telling me how expensive it was. By the end of my trip i'd over-budgeted, and I didn't really take that much spending money, and wasn't "careful" with it while I was there.

Has anyone here been to Japan?
I remember when at secondary school there was a deal struck with our school to go and visit Japan. So all the year 10's went over there and my old man was also invited as he was the principal at the time.
My family also billited the principal of the Japanese school at our old family home.

I remember when at secondary school there was a deal struck with our school to go and visit Japan. So all the year 10's went over there and my old man was also invited as he was the principal at the time.
My family also billited the principal of the Japanese school at our old family home.
So did YOU go to Japan?

Best: Tokyo, Taipei (city with a real underground buzz), Shenzhen, New York, London
Least: Dubai, Rotterdam, Although, to be honest I've never really been anyway that I really disliked

I enjoyed backs of rack in La Paz. Otherwise that city is a complete shithole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back