Best/worst midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Journeyman Scully has been on AFL lists for 9 years and in that time he's had one excellent year, which was 2016. He's had a couple of other OK ones, but one terrific season.

And you're suggesting he could form the greatest wing partnership the game has ever seen ? One of the funniest comments I've ever read on BF.

School yourself on some of the 70s and 80s wingmen. Scully would barely be fit to carry their bags into the ground.
That really is nonsense.

Scully was forced to play a defensive outside role in his early years with us. In a team that wasn't competitive. He wasn't that noticeable as he concentrated on holding multiple opponents as best he could.

As the team developed around him he was able to transition into a more attacking role, and he made the AA squad in 2016 and 2017.

In 2015 our poor finish to the season was seriously impacted by Scully's injury, although Mummy got all the attention. In time we kinda sorted the ruck problem but we just couldn't couldn't transition outside with Whitfield on the other wing and an 18yo that year. Watch our games from that period as Teloar, Ward and Coniglio won the ball inside and we constantly wrestled it downfield.

He runs very hard and very quickly both ways, and has astounding aerobic fitness.

That really is nonsense.

Scully was forced to play a defensive outside role in his early years with us. In a team that wasn't competitive. He wasn't that noticeable as he concentrated on holding multiple opponents as best he could.

As the team developed around him he was able to transition into a more attacking role, and he made the AA squad in 2016 and 2017.

In 2015 our poor finish to the season was seriously impacted by Scully's injury, although Mummy got all the attention. In time we kinda sorted the ruck problem but we just couldn't couldn't transition outside with Whitfield on the other wing and an 18yo that year. Watch our games from that period as Teloar, Ward and Coniglio won the ball inside and we constantly wrestled it downfield.

He runs very hard and very quickly both ways, and has astounding aerobic fitness.
As you could probably imagine, I've watched the rodent closely and he's had one very good year (2016) and one pretty good year (2017). One great year in nine, which is disappointing for a former pick one who went to a club on massive coin.

I don't need his strengths pointed out, just as you probably don't need to be told there's not a high degree of hurt factor in his disposals.

Maybe we rate players differently.

As you could probably imagine, I've watched the rodent closely and he's had one very good year (2016) and one pretty good year (2017). One great year in nine, which is disappointing for a former pick one who went to a club on massive coin.

I don't need his strengths pointed out, just as you probably don't need to be told there's not a high degree of hurt factor in his disposals.

Maybe we rate players differently.
Except you 've just revealed a personal hatred colors your judgement. I've watched him play for years.

Have a closer look at SPS, Dow, Fisher , Walsh & Setterfield too in 2019 then let me have your thoughts.
So we're bringing in a player who is not yet at the club (and may well not be taken by Carlton) and a bloke who has managed just 2 games of AFL, along with 3 blokes who all averaged less than 20 disposals a game during 2018...hardly runs on the board kind of stuff.

I know i am a Collingwood supporter but this is definately the best on paper: Grundy, Pendles, Beams, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom, Sier, Phillips
If Degoey goes into the midfield, and he should, it's an even bigger step up for your team. He moves like Dangerfield/Martin on the burst. And don't forget Wells.

Wrong Kelly
Good call, however the OP was asking which team has two Brownlow winners + the best player in the comp in its midfield.

Does GWS have two Brownlow winners in its midfield? No. But to your credit, you do have a sausage sniffing sausage eating all-round bone-crusher, and that counts for something.

Good call, however the OP was asking which team has two Brownlow winners + the best player in the comp in its midfield.

Does GWS have two Brownlow winners in its midfield? No. But to your credit, you do have a sausage sniffing sausage eating all-round bone-crusher, and that counts for something.
I think it was more subtle than that. See if you can work it out. I'm in the no camp given your post, but it's possible you could surprise me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you get that there's some hope. But I'm still gonna say no.
I'd say just about everyone who read my original post would know that I'm taking the piss out of a Richmond supporter. But your response was just completely random, trying to tell me that Josh Kelly is better than Tim Kelly. No s#it. Well done Captain Obvious, you definitely proved to me that your insight and mastery of subtlety is astounding. You are the winner of this forum.

Last edited:
Best midfield setups:

1. GWS
Simpson (R), Mumford (R), Kelly (I/O), Whitfield (O), Ward (I), Coniglio (I/O), Hopper (I), Taranto (I/O)

2. Collingwood
Grundy (R), Cox (BR), Pendlebury (I/O), Phillips (O), Sidebottom (I/O), Treloar (I), Beams (I/O), Adams (I)

3. Geelong
Stanley (R), Smith (R), Dangerfield (I/O), Selwood (I), Ablett (I/O), Duncan (O), Kelly (I/O), Menegola (I/O)

4. Melbourne
Gawn (R), Preuss (R), Viney (I), Jones (I), Oliver (I), Brayshaw (I/O), Petracca (I/O), Harmes (I)

5. Hawthorn
McEvoy (R), Ceglar (R), Mitchell (I), O'Meara (I/O), Smith (O), Scully (O), Wingard (I/O), Burgoyne (I)

6. Adelaide
Jacobs (R), Jenkins (BR), Sloane (I), Gibbs (I/O), M Crouch (I), B Crouch (I), Greenwood (I), Seedsman (O)

7. West Coast
Natinui (R), Vardy (R), Schuey (I/O), Yeo (I/O), Sheed (I), Duggan (I), Redden (I), Hutchings (I)

8. Richmond
Nankervis (R), Soldo (R), Martin (I/O), Cotchin (I), Prestia (I), Grigg (O), Edwards (I/O), Lambert (O)

Next best
Brisbane
Port
Essendon

If we start looking a bit deeper at talent available after the first 8 midfielders, Collingwood comes out on top with the likes of Greenwood, Sier, Wells, De Goey, Aish & Varcoe.

Hawthorn would move above Melbourne as well with the likes of Shiels, Worpel, Henderson, Howe & Morrison now able to provide additional rotations.
GWS- Mumford?

GWS- Mumford?
He makes a fair point. Mummy is reported as ready to have good season with all his ankle recovered and a year off.

More relevant is our midfield should be better, at times they're awesome. In games against the Saint, North, Bombers and the Demons they were beaten in games that they were capable if winning though.

Consistent performance by the inside mids as a group is the area we need to improve next year, in my view. I see no reason why they cant with Lenny Hayes now in his third year as mids coach he should have a handle on what's needed.

Outside with Scully down and Whitfield needed elsewhere to cover William's this year, some improvement should come naturally.
Whitfield and William's can now basically swap positions depending on tactics or support each other as needed. Kennedy isn't lightning fast but he can be a hard running outside mid as well.

He makes a fair point. Mummy is reported as ready to have good season with all his ankle recovered and a year off.

More relevant is our midfield should be better, at times they're awesome. In games against the Saint, North, Bombers and the Demons they were beaten in games that they were capable if winning though.

Consistent performance by the inside mids as a group is the area we need to improve next year, in my view. I see no reason why they cant with Lenny Hayes now in his third year as mids coach he should have a handle on what's needed.

Outside with Scully down and Whitfield needed elsewhere to cover William's this year, some improvement should come naturally.
Whitfield and William's can now basically swap positions depending on tactics or support each other as needed. Kennedy isn't lightning fast but he can be a hard running outside mid as well.
I hadn't kept up with the move from retirement back to GWS

In games against the Saint, North, Bombers and the Demons they were beaten in games that they were capable if winning though.
What does this even mean ? Theoretically, everyone is capable of beating everyone.

With a home final on the line in round 22 Melbourne thrashed GWS on the G by 8 goals.

What does this even mean ? Theoretically, everyone is capable of beating everyone.

With a home final on the line in round 22 Melbourne thrashed GWS on the G by 8 goals.
Mmmm
Dont bother following me around thread sposting negatively because you resent what happened in another thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back