Remove this Banner Ad

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
As we approach the end of the 2019 AFL season, I thought this would be an appropriate time to start discussing the variety of different Port Adelaide players and their performances in 2019. In spite of how the season finishes we've had some very strong names that have shined through, as well as some odd disappointments here and there, but with so many players to measure up there are many different categories to measure up.

In my opinion:

Best players of 2019:

-Travis Boak

-Dan Housten

-Tom Clurey

Most improved:

-Karl Amon

Best Debutant:

-Xavier Duursma

Best trade:

Scott Lycett

Best Return:

-Hamish Hartlett

Most disappointing players of 2019:

-Steven Motlop

-Charlie Dixon

-Patrick Ryder

-Tom Jonas

This isn't an MVP thread as it is aimed at judging different players on different statistics, while also sharing different perspectives on what different people value in players.
All Port Adelaide squad players are available for discussion, and SANFL performances may also contribute. That's all, please share your thoughts, and feel free to add All Australian and Brownlow talk into the mix.

How is Ollie not in this list as worst. Who, on the verge of the AFL season, after just being named captain, goes ******* wakeboarding. He has ****ed his whole season, and ****ed the structure of the team.

******* dead s**t!!!

How is Ollie not in this list as worst. Who, on the verge of the AFL season, after just being named captain, goes ******* wakeboarding. He has f’ed his whole season, and f’ed the structure of the team.
Because he's been injured so much this year it's hard to judge him on his on-field performances. Based on what I've seen they can range anywhere from really good to really bad. I think he's certainly giving his all, but he always seems to be overworking himself, which is probably why he's been getting injured so much. For his first year as captain, he's failed to make a mark, but as a player, it's hard to judge him after the year he's had. And I think when you exclude his stupid skiing accident he's been pretty good in the media, which is important for a captain. My thoughts on him are inconclusive at the moment.

The players that I wish to talk about were unfortunately not considered to be good enough to play AFL..

Frampton, Ladhams, Marshall in particular and also Drew & Atley.

These players were very unlucky, especially Frampton and Drew. I thought they showed enough to be selected. Theshowed improvement this season and I hope we can retain them.
Rumours are the Crows have interest in Ladhams, Billy has not resigned. :(

Because he's been injured so much this year it's hard to judge him on his on-field performances. Based on what I've seen they can range anywhere from really good to really bad. I think he's certainly giving his all, but he always seems to be overworking himself, which is probably why he's been getting injured so much. For his first year as captain, he's failed to make a mark, but as a player, it's hard to judge him after the year he's had. And I think when you exclude his stupid skiing accident he's been pretty good in the media, which is important for a captain. My thoughts on him are inconclusive at the moment.
Ollie has very poor disposal, this will stop him being elite.

The players that I wish to talk about were unfortunately not considered to be good enough to play AFL..

Frampton, Ladhams, Marshall in particular and also Drew & Atley.

These players were very unlucky, especially Frampton and Drew. I thought they showed enough to be selected. Theshowed improvement this season and I hope we can retain them.
Rumours are the Crows have interest in Ladhams, Billy has not resigned. :(
I would've said Drew was the best debutant this year, but his form greatly dropped once the season got going, and he hasn't found that form since, disappointing.

Marshall had his chances too, Ladhams looks pretty good but needs more time, and while I want to see Frampton as much as the rest of us, it's his first year as a KPF, and I can understand why we haven't played him at AFL level very much. That's why he was great against the Suns and s**t against the Hawks, he needs more experience too. I'd also like to see him get a bit of discipline, he's a bit too aggressive at the moment, but he certainly has a future, we need to stick with him. We'll see him in the AFL Port team in the upcoming years don't you worry.

Worst Ken Hinkley.

Can’t judge the players until they no longer have a drunken lorikeet coaching them.

Ahahaha I love how apples intentionally made a thread that wasnt about the coach and the first response was about the coach.

He cant win.

I would've said Drew was the best debutant this year, but his form greatly dropped once the season got going, and he hasn't found that form since, disappointing.

Marshall had his chances too, Ladhams looks pretty good but needs more time, and while I want to see Frampton as much as the rest of us, it's his first year as a KPF, and I can understand why we haven't played him at AFL level very much. That's why he was great against the Suns and s**t against the Hawks, he needs more experience too. I'd also like to see him get a bit of discipline, he's a bit too aggressive at the moment, but he certainly has a future, we need to stick with him. We'll see him in the AFL Port team in the upcoming years don't you worry.
Frampton wont be here.

It was very noticeable last night that Boak and Duursma are the only players that can reliably beat their opponents around the ground leading into space (often the result of multiple leads and running patterns). Everyone else relies on getting the ball wide open in space or random results from contests . Laughable that there are only two blokes on an AFL list that you can say this about, and laughable that one is a first year player.

I hope he is, if by some miracle we win the SANFL premiers on his back he should stay.
Players need to have opportunity to develop and grow, sadly that is not something that is important at Port Adelaide, so I wish him all the best if he goes and can't blame him.
He will be what we have been missing all along.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As we approach the end of the 2019 AFL season, I thought this would be an appropriate time to start discussing the variety of different Port Adelaide players and their performances in 2019. In spite of how the season finishes we've had some very strong names that have shined through, as well as some odd disappointments here and there, but with so many players to measure up there are many different categories to measure up.

In my opinion:

Best players of 2019:

-Travis Boak

-Dan Housten

-Tom Clurey

Most improved:

-Karl Amon

Best Debutant:

-Xavier Duursma

Best trade:

Scott Lycett

Best Return:

-Hamish Hartlett

Most disappointing players of 2019:

-Steven Motlop

-Charlie Dixon

-Patrick Ryder

-Tom Jonas

This isn't an MVP thread as it is aimed at judging different players on different statistics, while also sharing different perspectives on what different people value in players.
All Port Adelaide squad players are available for discussion, and SANFL performances may also contribute. That's all, please share your thoughts, and feel free to add All Australian and Brownlow talk into the mix.

You cant seriously put Dixon in there ? Coming of a horrific leg injury that at a point had him questioning if he'd play again and he's made to play in the most dysfunctional forward line in the game. There isn't a key forward in the comp that would look good in our forward line.

Worst Ken Hinkley.

Can’t judge the players until they no longer have a drunken lorikeet coaching them.
Worst part about Ken is that he somehow seems to find our losses amusing, because he has a big smirk on his face after every loss.

You cant seriously put Dixon in there ? Coming of a horrific leg injury that at a point had him questioning if he'd play again and he's made to play in the most dysfunctional forward line in the game. There isn't a key forward in the comp that would look good in our forward line.
Whilst I agree I still think Dixon has been a big disappointment for me. So many times this year he gets clean hands to the ball and still drops it, regardless of our forward structure. His kicking has also been horrific, but to be fair so have many of our forwards. But I think the one thing that has pissed me off the most about Dixon this season is his attitude. He always whinges towards the umpires and opposition players and seems to have no self-awareness of his own shortcomings, an unpopular opinion I know, but it doesn't matter what team he plays for if a player is going to whinge in his own arrogance I will not be happy. At this point I honestly think Frampton is the same if not better than Dixon, the only downside to Frampton being his lack of ability to bring the ball to the ground effectively, but otherwise, he's just as aggressive and arrogant, but the difference is Frampton is young and has only played three ******* games, Dixon is far older and has plenty more experience, he should know better. And at least Frampton is a better kick and mark than Dixon. So I stand by what I think about Dixon at the moment, it might be controversial, but he needs to get his s**t together.

Best
Boak the religious leader of our club
Houston the immaculate conception
Byrne Jones a disciple of brilliance
...( it is Sunday, so a religious twist)

Off colour performances
Jonas (gray tending to black)
Westhoff (gray with occasional splashes of colour)
Sam Gray (gray)

In an earlier Magpie game thread I said that Sutcliffe was no Summo but I should have included that he was no Trengove. Speaks a lot about our recruiting and selection decisions!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back