Opinion Best/Worst Port Adelaide players of 2019

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't want to be a pain, but I was hoping I could get more people posting since this thread seems to almost be abandoned at this point.
There are numerous names I haven't heard any responses from, and I would like to get their thoughts on this topic.

RussellEbertHandball ?
Janus ?
MrPlow ?

Anyone?

Sorry

I appreciate the summon 😄

Given their different levels, I’ve been most impressed with: Boak, Houston, Duursma, Rozee, Amon, Garner

Best I’d say Boaky

Disappointed with: Wines, Westhoff and Dixon

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I haven't mentioned Westhoff much due to his recent appearance in the defence, and I think he's done a good job back there too. He's still played some good football this year, but besides his performance against the undermanned Melbourne defence, he hasn't had much forward impact and only seems to work as a running forward. He's been ok as a wingman at best, but the fact that Duurs and Amon were able to provide better form with only a fraction of Westhoff's experience was definitely a sign he was out of form, which is why he was eventually dropped after only showing average performances at best ever since round 2. Coming back after being dropped he was a great running forward and mark in the showdown and was one of our best that day, but the next week in the wet he was hopeless, so I don't expect much from him tomorrow provided the conditions are as wet as anticipated. Ever since he's started playing in defence and has so far done a very good job, but so late in his career, I'm not sure how much it matters for our long term structure.

He hasn't been our worst player this year, but as the reigning best and fairest I understand why some might be surprised.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I haven't mentioned Westhoff much due to his recent appearance in the defence, and I think he's done a good job back there too. He's still played some good football this year, but besides his performance against the undermanned Melbourne defence, he hasn't had much forward impact and only seems to work as a running forward. He's been ok as a wingman at best, but the fact that Duurs and Amon were able to provide better form with only a fraction of Westhoff's experience was definitely a sign he was out of form, which is why he was eventually dropped after only showing average performances at best ever since round 2. Coming back after being dropped he was a great running forward and mark in the showdown and was one of our best that day, but the next week in the wet he was hopeless, so I don't expect much from him tomorrow provided the conditions are as wet as anticipated. Ever since he's started playing in defence and has so far done a very good job, but so late in his career, I'm not sure how much it matters for our long term structure.

He hasn't been our worst player this year, but as the reigning best and fairest I understand why some might be surprised.

He has had a good couple weeks in defence and 1 good game forward as you’ve mentiojed

The rest have been very very ordinary. His choices with ball in hand have really hurt us. And all games as a forward bar one provided no contest

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Best -Boak,Houston+3 rookies
Worst-Motlop,Ryder,Wines,Dixon
Most Improved-Amon,Byrne-Jones+Garner
Biggest Disappointment -Jack Watts round 2 injury.Outstanding round 1 game.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I guess the good news is that we have good list depth, so we've had some very impressive names in the SANFL too.
That being said, we still have some holes to fill, particularly making sure we can keep our SANFL key forwards in shape and ready for AFL futures. We also need some more tall 1 on 1 defenders now that Dougal might be moving up forward.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is this the whole list? i.e. hewitt will get delisted.

I just think aside from the resurgence of Boak, Robbie once fully fit has again been stellar.
but our breakouts this year for mine have been Houston, Amon, Rozee, Duursma and DBJ. Honourable mention Burton.

Our worst. Bonner, Bonner, Bonner, Bonner and probably, yes, Bonner. How he continually gets games mystifies me when we have other optinos.Cox, Lienert, Garner, Westhoff and Burton. All Bonner provides distinctively over the others is run at this stage. He is weak as piss at the ball, contested or uncontested, his turnonvers cost goals and his disposal efficiency is misleading because he often hands off to a player under extreme duress.

Other than him, Wines, Dixon, Westhoff until played in defence, and Motlop.
I have to include Wines and Dixon but clearly they have been injury affected for most of the year so that is harsh on them.

Motlop has no excuses and should be traded if we get anything halfway decent for him.

Westhoff was disappointing but his last 2 games in defense have been like Fletcher at his peak. I'd like to see him played there permanently.

Broadbent, DBJ, Hartlett are far and away our best 'mobile/small' defenders with Jonas, Clrey and Howard our talls and Burton and Westhoff our versatile play anywhere defenders. I would still like to see what Burton can do in other areas of the ground.

Sutchiffe also our worst but does that surprise at all?

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
Is this the whole list? i.e. hewitt will get delisted.

I just think aside from the resurgence of Boak, Robbie once fully fit has again been stellar.
but our breakouts this year for mine have been Houston, Amon, Rozee, Duursma and DBJ. Honourable mention Burton.

Our worst. Bonner, Bonner, Bonner, Bonner and probably, yes, Bonner. How he continually gets games mystifies me when we have other optinos.Cox, Lienert, Garner, Westhoff and Burton. All Bonner provides distinctively over the others is run at this stage. He is weak as piss at the ball, contested or uncontested, his turnonvers cost goals and his disposal efficiency is misleading because he often hands off to a player under extreme duress.

Other than him, Wines, Dixon, Westhoff until played in defence, and Motlop.
I have to include Wines and Dixon but clearly they have been injury affected for most of the year so that is harsh on them.

Motlop has no excuses and should be traded if we get anything halfway decent for him.

Westhoff was disappointing but his last 2 games in defense have been like Fletcher at his peak. I'd like to see him played there permanently.

Broadbent, DBJ, Hartlett are far and away our best 'mobile/small' defenders with Jonas, Clrey and Howard our talls and Burton and Westhoff our versatile play anywhere defenders. I would still like to see what Burton can do in other areas of the ground.

Sutchiffe also our worst but does that surprise at all?
Bonner's worst football has been some of my least favourite this year, but to be honest I still think there is plenty of potential in him, he just needs to clean up his disposal, bit otherwise, I think he has the energy needed to run out every game.

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How is Ollie not in this list as worst. Who, on the verge of the AFL season, after just being named captain, goes ******* wakeboarding. He has f’ed his whole season, and f’ed the structure of the team.

******* dead s**t!!!
Careful. Don't be too harsh on him or he'll complain to the players' association.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bonner's worst football has been some of my least favourite this year, but to be honest I still think there is plenty of potential in him, he just needs to clean up his disposal, bit otherwise, I think he has the energy needed to run out every game.

I agree he has potential. I just don't think he is best 22.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I agree he has potential. I just don't think he is best 22.
Another thing to consider is his torn position. In the SANFL he seems to be best as a wingman, but in the AFL he is often restricted to the defence line and whilst Broadbent is also a wingman, he has a better body and disposal, which means he can still be effective off of the defence, his only downside is often his lack of pace, whereas pace seems to be the only thing going for Bonner. He is essentially Pittard, except a bit more flexible, but we need to start seeing some improvement from him in the next season or two.

Back