Best & worst signings of the season EPL 20/21

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Jota is better than good. He was sensational before he was injured. Havent seen him since. I think he had like 9 goals in 15 games or something before the injury.
Signing from another PL team you expect them to hit the ground running. Especially at a team that's better offensively (until recently)

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Signing from another PL team you expect them to hit the ground running. Especially at a team that's better offensively (until recently)
Which is fair but still doesnt mean he was merely good. If we are going by the original categories in the tier list, I'd have him absolutely in the very good section.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
SS needs a slapping for that disrespect haha. Hojbjerg cost us net 3m with KWP (who has also been good) going the other way. Rip off... LOL.
Not that you agree with most my ratings but I've genuinely got Hojberg as our 2nd best player this season behind Kane, ahead of Son due to just how god damn consistently good Hojberg was even in losing sides.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Jota is better than good. He was sensational before he was injured. Havent seen him since. I think he had like 9 goals in 15 games or something before the injury.
He also should be given bonus marks for how easily and quietly the club got such a good deal done. Like our deal for Doherty but for someone who is actually very good for the system he is going to!

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
He also should be given bonus marks for how easily and quietly the club got such a good deal done. Like our deal for Doherty but for someone who is actually very good for the system he is going to!
Yeah was a total surprise. Had never even heard as much as a whisper about Jota. Nek minit, he's holding up the shirt. He's been a massive out for us and nobody has really ever given us an idea of the injury. He just vanished for near on 4 months. Been crazy frustrating. I mean what could it be? Not quite a season ender but not just like a hammy or twisted ankle. But geez he's been out for what feels like forever.

Apparently was going to on the bench in our last game before he was taken ill and if he has recovered from that will apparently be back amongst the match day squad for Chelsea tomorrow.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah was a total surprise. Had never even heard as much as a whisper about Jota. Nek minit, he's holding up the shirt. He's been a massive out for us and nobody has really ever given us an idea of the injury. He just vanished for near on 4 months. Been crazy frustrating. I mean what could it be? Not quite a season ender but not just like a hammy or twisted ankle. But geez he's been out for what feels like forever.

Apparently was going to on the bench in our last game before he was taken ill and if he has recovered from that will apparently be back amongst the match day squad for Chelsea tomorrow.
Was a knee injury wasn't it?

He was a signing that you could see would fit into your front 3 seamlessly. It wouldn't surprise me if you go down the Wolves path again for Neto if/when Salah moves on

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Was a knee injury wasn't it?

He was a signing that you could see would fit into your front 3 seamlessly. It wouldn't surprise me if you go down the Wolves path again for Neto if/when Salah moves on
Not sure, never heard too much about it. I think a knee. But what sets you back four months, I dont think he had surgery? Bit of a mystery injury that one.

Yeah Neto has been super impressive for Wolves. He's a guy that would fit right into our system, I think Wolves knew he was very good and were happy to pocket the money for Jota knowing they had a good replacement. They obviously didnt count on the season ender to Jiminez though. They badly could have used Jota this season.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool have 6 wins from 15 games Thiago has played in.

Genuine question mark on whether he is a good fit for the team.
It's honestly really hard to tell given all the injuries. If we had a full fit squad and this was happening, definite questions marks. But I think Fab/Kabak was now our 20th or 21st different CB pairing of the season. Pretty crazy.

I also dont think Thiago has played in a midfield three with Fabinho and Henderson all season. As both have either been injured or had to go back into central defense.

But yeah it's an interesting one.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's honestly really hard to tell given all the injuries. If we had a full fit squad and this was happening, definite questions marks. But I think Fab/Kabak was now our 20th or 21st different CB pairing of the season. Pretty crazy.

I also dont think Thiago has played in a midfield three with Fabinho and Henderson all season. As both have either been injured or had to go back into central defense.

But yeah it's an interesting one.

So Thiago is only world class if he has the absolute best players around him?

He's a plodder otherwise?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I've been really impressed by Fulham's loan player Joachim Andersen. For a CB he's really composed on the ball and likes to get forward.

I think Fulham will overtake Newcastle and survive but if not he would be a handy addition to any Premier League squad next season.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
I've been really impressed by Fulham's loan player Joachim Andersen. For a CB he's really composed on the ball and likes to get forward.

I think Fulham will overtake Newcastle and survive but if not he would be a handy addition to any Premier League squad next season.
If Balbuena leaves on a free as has been mooted, I would definitely takes a look at him if Fulham are relegated and he ends up back at Lyon.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
If Balbuena leaves on a free as has been mooted, I would definitely takes a look at him if Fulham are relegated and he ends up back at Lyon.

Scott Parker made him captain after four games. That's a big recognition for loan player. Given his skills he could probably play in a number of positions.

I think it's far too early to call a 21 year old kid with a COVID interrupted season a flop.

A 29 year old striker with 3 goals for the season on the other hand..
A 29 yo who has played as an AM and has only played more than 60mins in a game on 9-10 occasions. Pretty sure the kid has played most of his time at CF.

A 29 yo who has played as an AM and has only played more than 60mins in a game on 9-10 occasions. Pretty sure the kid has played most of his time at CF.

Which at the price you paid for him is pretty floppish, regardless of circumstance (and he's only recently been injured, before then it was fitness issues).

Back