Analysis - Best & Worst Top 10 Draft Picks Per Draft Number | Page 4 | BigFooty

Analysis Best & Worst Top 10 Draft Picks Per Draft Number

Discussion in 'Drafts, Trading & Free Agency' started by LongerHasHickey, Nov 18, 2018.

1. DangerSloane

DangerSloane Hall of Famer

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
    No you dont win them by chance, but you also cant win them if you're not in the grand final....obviously.

No matter how good you are you cant get to the grand final on your own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. dlb99

dlb99 Club Legend

Carlton
    We agree to disagree.

You are team Riewoldt.
    I am team Hodge.

Time to move on.

3. hoddo

hoddo Premiership Player

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
    I agree the Norm Smith medal is just one game, but a player winning multiple times, as Hodge has done, demonstrates a history of rising to the occasion when it matters most. Choosing between Hodge and Riewoldt was extremely difficult but for me it came down to reliability … Hodge's ability to perform in the big moment as opposed to Nick's horrible goal kicking which I'm sure led to him missing vital goals at times when his team needed them most. His poor kicking for goal was a major flaw for a player who played most of his career as a key forward and IMO it puts Hodge just ahead of him.

Jaysus Spangher likes this.
  4. PowerForGood

PowerForGood Self-imposed Suspension to 2019.

Port Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool FC
    Plugger Lockett WAS a hack though.... :D

Nobu likes this.
  5. mikey127

mikey127 Premiership Player

Brisbane Lions
    Not enough love for Tambling in the worst top ten.

6. Sprout

Sprout Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    MCFC, The Exers
    Toumpas was significantly worse than Morton. Morton was serviceable in the early stage of his career and you could argue that we stuffed his development during that period. Toumpas simply looked like a fish out of water from day dot.

Moist Biscuit likes this.
  7. sr36

sr36 Norm Smith Medallist

Collingwood
    Hodge was never in the discussion for best player in the league. Riewoldt was. Riewoldt comfortably.

Moist Biscuit likes this.
  8. AsterixTheGaul

AsterixTheGaul Plucked from the Amos

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    Gunners Scorcher Claremont
    In a world where Norm Smith medals and Premiership Medals to you club captain count.

9. Holy Rioli

Holy Rioli Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Golden State Warriors
    except for when he was named AA captain after a brilliant season where many rated him one of the best in the comp.

Jaysus Spangher likes this.
  10. sr36

Collingwood
    He was deservedly in the discussion for best player at his club, but i would never have even given him that nod. Franklin, and Mitchell were comfortably ahead in my eyes and Burgoyne and Roughhead at stages were on par. A hawthorn great, but not an AFL great.

11. Holy Rioli

Holy Rioli Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Golden State Warriors
    Won't you look silly when he gets inducted in to the AFL hall of fame in a few years then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. sr36

Collingwood
    I agree that he will be, but it'll be a decision based on aura and leadership rather than pure football.

13. Holy Rioli

Holy Rioli Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    Other Teams:
    Golden State Warriors
    so leadership, sacrificing your game to play a role for team success, these things shouldn't be considered when assessing how a good a player is? We've already been told that being the best player in a grand final on multiple occasions (and had over 30 touches and 2 goals in another) isn't allowed to count.

14. RonnieRaven

RonnieRaven Mature age recruit

Fremantle
    All you jokers putting j Kennedy in before Pavlich are having a laugh arent you?
    I’ll think you’ll find 18 clubs would pick Pavlich every day of the week and twice on Sunday at pick 4 over JK

15. sr36

Collingwood
    It all counts, but would he be viewed as a great leader if he wasn't leading a great team - probably not. Guys like Riewoldt, Ablett, Franklin, Dangerfield will be automatic hall of fame selections due to consistent on field dominance over a long period of time. It wouldn't have mattered what teammates they had. Hodge will be a Hall of Fame member because he was a bloody good player over a long time, stood up big time in big games, played in a team who were good enough to get to and win big games and he also had an aura of leadership about him. I rate the others significantly higher as footballers, because I don't think they needed to be in a great team to be considered great. For me, hodge is a different kettle of fish, because him being considered great was relient on him playing in a great team.

mario bortallotto likes this.
  16. Bjchan13

Bjchan13 Rookie

Essendon
    I like how this has turned into a nick riewoldt vs luke hodge debate because they were both champion pick 1's. If they were both full/ centre half forwards it would be easier. Riewoldt averaged 2 goals a game playing predominantly forward. On his stats and playing position alone he should be being compared to richo, carey, pavlich, hall, brown and sav rocca. Stats alone cant split these players so things like premierships, leadership, ability stand up and play well when it counts and versatility etc all have to come into play. Carey obviously the better leader, big game player and has 2 flags as captain. Pavlich edges him for his ability to dominate from midfield and his aa as a chb. Brown edges him due to 3 flags and was feared by the opposition. Halls got a flag and has an argument vs roo. Richo and rocca great stats but didnt get the finals exposure to be in the convo. Riewoldt was a great player and its truly admirable how he continued to perform and get up for games through degenerative knee problems. He had his chances in 3 GFs but just couldnt have his day unfortunately, 3 goals from 3 gfs. From an outsiders perspective he didnt have the carey/brown aura about him in terms of leadership or the opposition fearing him. Having said all that, he is absolutely a champion forward. I also hate hawthorn. But Luke hodge is also a champion. He is a better big game player than riewoldt. He is a better leader than riewoldt. He is more versatile than riewoldt. Both had great players around them. Hodge had a better coach. Riewoldt kicked more goals. If i had to pick a best 22 from the last 30 years hodge is getting a spot on the half back flank. Riewoldt misses out.

Jaysus Spangher and Holy Rioli like this.
  17. SpInNeR

SpInNeR All Australian

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Liverpool, Avalanche
    5 AA v 3 AA
    6 B&F v 2
    153 Brownlow votes v 131

But things like a player 'sacrificing' their game gets brought up... 10 times in fact and not a mention of actual tangible stats that reflect a career of an individual.

Those 153 Brownlow votes as a forward too and we all no how hard they are to get in the midfielders award.

Not even a discussion.

18. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    OK calm down, it isn't bullshit at all.

There is a reason why sportsmen and women the world over are more revered if they have been a part of a great team. It is because they contributed massively to said great team. Michael Jordan is all time, but would he be without all those titles? Gretsky in the 80s?

Im not interested in a Hodge/Reiwoldt shitfight because there is not point, they are both all time. But to dismiss Hodge's team achievements as bullshit is pretty lazy. Not forgetting that Hodge won two Normies too, probably the most coveted individual award for an AFL player

19. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks Premium Gold

Hawthorn
    Oliver quite possibly. Salem might indeed be the bias talking!

Cant really argue with any of this. I would probably have Pav ahead of JK by a whisker, but JK aint done yet..

I think Kelly will be a standout #2 by the time his career is up.

20. TedDougChris

TedDougChris Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Charlton Athletic
    Oliver isn’t ahead of Bont yet as a #4 pick, let alone Pav.... (although a big fan of Oliver)

21. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Output of dowler > output of thorp

22. Monkey King

Monkey King Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    This is true, if that’s the way you want to look at it. I don’t though. Given neither played even a season’s worth of games, it’s quibbling to separate them on this negligible difference. I think Thorp was more talented and hence, the better pick. Not saying I’m right and others are wrong, but that’s my reasoning.

23. lewdogs

lewdogs Premium Platinum

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Farren Ray, while he didn't ever become a champion, still played 209 AFL games and was a very serviceable player. Certainly not a doozie.

24. Sab22

Sab22 Sinclair Cup Winner

St Kilda
    Other Teams:
    76ers, Victory, Barca, Man Utd
    Ray was better than both of those spuds combined by 99%

lewdogs likes this.
  25. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    I think the only objective way to rank them is on output. Yes injury plays a factor.
    And you are correct both those players had near zero output (josh bootsma gave much better output than either) but I think dowler did better at box hill level than thorp