Analysis Best & worst top 10 draft picks per draft number

Remove this Banner Ad

Your over thinking this mate.
I have no grudge at all.
All im saying is that the dude made himself look like a waynekerr.
I remember seeing an interview after the 2004 draft where Tambling said he was disappointed as he felt like he should have been the number 1 pick.

Talk about w***er

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You could argue hawthorn would of won flags without hodge.

Without Riewoldt st.kilda barely even makes finals
strange comment since he won 2 norm smith medals.

Could argue St Kilda would have won a premiership if Reiwolt didnt go missing in grand finals

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the only objective way to rank them is on output. Yes injury plays a factor.
And you are correct both those players had near zero output (josh bootsma gave much better output than either) but I think dowler did better at box hill level than thorp

That it boils down to VFL output shows it’s a rather pointless distinction. Thorp had the better talent, which IMO makes him the better pick. Unlike Dowler, he wasn’t moved on for lack of ability and post-AFL, Thorp’s state level form almost had him back in contention for an AFL club. Just my opinion.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I remember seeing an interview after the 2004 draft where Tambling said he was disappointed as he felt like he should have been the number 1 pick.

Talk about w***er

Funny you mention tambling

He played over 100 games for Richmond and another 16 for adelaide
was traded to the Crows for a 2nd & 3rd rounder which was a pretty good return for him

He also has a son Tyson who is 14 now i think and looking like being a decent player in the NT , So might end up not the worst pick

Hows that bloke you guys picked before Dustin Martin going, You know the one he was your young captain at one stage with pick #2

Funny you mention tambling

He played over 100 games for Richmond and another 16 for adelaide
was traded to the Crows for a 2nd & 3rd rounder which was a pretty good return for him

He also has a son Tyson who is 14 now i think and looking like being a decent player in the NT , So might end up not the worst pick

Hows that bloke you guys picked before Dustin Martin going, You know the one he was your young captain at one stage with pick #2

the one who had a navicular fracture? the same injury that has finished many players careers?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
the one who had a navicular fracture? the same injury that has finished many players careers?

Yes the player that melbourne thought was fine to go until Richmond told him his problem was still not healed -Thats the one
So the reason why he is still playing sanfl now is because of his navicular injury from 3-4 years ago - Cool

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
In what world is Hodge better than Riewoldt lol
Which world would you like to start with...
A world that values players that can own any position in AFL football?
A world that values players that can make an immediate impact in their debut season?
A world that values captaining flag winning teams?
A world that values the most influential players in GFs?
There's no doubt that Hodge deserves #1 ranking more than Riewoldt!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Trashing a bloke whose career was ruined by injuries, classy
Mate are you for real !! The Bloke is still playing and his foot is all good thanks to Richmond letting your team know that his foot was still damaged

He has not been lost to football due to the injury but has lost alot of time due to your teams incompetence and crappy medical dept

Dont play the injury troll card with me mate your barking up the wrong tree here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which world would you like to start with...
A world that values players that can own any position in AFL football?
A world that values players that can make an immediate impact in their debut season?
A world that values captaining flag winning teams?
A world that values the most influential players in GFs?
There's no doubt that Hodge deserves #1 ranking more than Riewoldt!
That's a weird world

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate are you for real !! The Bloke is still playing and his foot is all good thanks to Richmond letting your team know that his foot was still damaged

He has not been lost to football due to the injury but has lost alot of time due to your teams incompetence and crappy medical dept

Dont play the injury troll card with me mate your barking up the wrong tree here

I'm not your mate and yes, his career has been ruined by injuries.

Not sure why there has to be a Riewoldt vs Hodge debate. Both are champion players so it is going to come down to personal preference.

For the record, I preferred Hodge.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure why there has to be a Riewoldt vs Hodge debate. Both are champion players so it is going to come down to personal preference.

For the record, I preferred Hodge.
People will argue over anything. I'd take Reiwoldt over Hodge, but neither is the "correct choice". Both stars in their own way, and played entirely different roles which makes it impossible to draw a true, fair comparison

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
In the wider scheme of things, forwards on par with Nick Riewoldt are common. Pavlich, Brown, Fevola, Tredrea, Roughead, J.Riewoldt, Gehrig, J.Kennedy, the list goes on. Nick Riewoldt is a Zero Coleman winner, Zero Brownlow winner, Zero Premiership Player. What cause does history have to remember him? In 50 years few non-St.Kilda fans will know his name.

Whereas Luke Hodge is a football immortal destined to become a future AFL Legend.... and that my friends is the difference.

I agree that he will be, but it'll be a decision based on aura and leadership rather than pure football.
Bloody hell. Hodge is one of the purest footballers there is. He could've played in just about any era with the way he attacks the ball and the contest.

Bloody hell. Hodge is one of the purest footballers there is. He could've played in just about any era with the way he attacks the ball and the contest.

I agree. He's had a fantastic career over a very long time and undoubtedly would have succeeded in any era. I just believe that his reputation as a footballer is inflated by his leadership and aura. When looking at that magnificent teams you guys have had recently, I rate Buddy, Mitchell, and Burgoyne (I know few will agree with this) comfortably ahead of him based on individual performance. He's been a great player. I just think Riewoldt had a superior career and that Hodge is viewed more highly than individual performances warrant due to leadership, aura and being a member of a truly great team.

I agree. He's had a fantastic career over a very long time and undoubtedly would have succeeded in any era. I just believe that his reputation as a footballer is inflated by his leadership and aura. When looking at that magnificent teams you guys have had recently, I rate Buddy, Mitchell, and Burgoyne (I know few will agree with this) comfortably ahead of him based on individual performance. He's been a great player. I just think Riewoldt had a superior career and that Hodge is viewed more highly than individual performances warrant due to leadership, aura and being a member of a truly great team.
Hodge is viewed more highly because he just about did it all on the football field. You're seriously underating how bloody good he was, by saying he is only rated highly due to "aura" and being part of the great team.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was great team because he was in it! Also yes Franklin and Mitchell were better than Hodge but doesnt mean Hodge is now automatically worse than Riewoldt, all 3 were better than Riewoldt.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
strange comment since he won 2 norm smith medals.

Could argue St Kilda would have won a premiership if Reiwolt didnt go missing in grand finals

I don’t think he went missing in grand finals.
09 was a wet miserable day and out of all the key forwards he probably had the most influence albeit with only 1 goal. Mooney and Hawkins had 2 each. People are quick to forget the only reason we played in the 09 GF was due to Riewoldts ridiculous Qualifying Final against Collingwood and his 4 goals in the prelim.
The drawn GF he definitely didn’t go missing, one of the main reasons we came back in the 3rd quarter.
The replay fair enough, not sure many of our players turned up though.
Riewoldt over the course of his career actually had better stats on average in finals than H&A games.
Not saying he was better than hodge in finals, but this notion that he wasn’t a big game player is just completely false.

Riewoldt > Hodge

It's like people saying Ablett Snr or Bob Skilton can't be considered as 1 never won a GF and Bobby played in 1 final ONLY.

Best i've seen = Matthews, Senior, Junior, Carey, Hird

Hodgey is great (i've enjoyed watching him up here as a Lion) but not GREATER THAN GREAT

The Ghost Rider

Debutant
Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Hodge:

4 time premiership player.
3 time premiership captain.
2 times best-on-grand in a grand final.

We play to win the game.

Listing team awards to prove an individual is a better player. Low IQ.
On that basis Gary Ablett Snr was no good then. Now that sounds smart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back