Best XI before WSC

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
thought I'd do this as we've had the "after WSC XI".

Aussies have played approx. 400 test before and after WSC.

the only selection criteria I had here was that if they'd played a test after WSC, then they were ineligible and only eligible for after WSC.

make you own team and your own rules, I'd be interested.

many of these players you and I may not have seen play, so it's effectively going off stories heard, old footage and statistics.

Morris
Ponsford
Bradman
Harvey
Miller
Davidson
Benaud
Lindwall
Grout +
Grimmett
O'Reilly

it may be a little bowler heavy and a batsman short, but when Bradman is in the side with a few allrounder types - all world class bowlers though, I think you can get away with this.

Unlucky to miss: Lawry, Simpson, Hassett, McCabe, Woodfull, Oldfield, Johnston, Spoffoth, Ironmonger, Noble, Trumble.

Last edited:
Adelaide Hawk is probably the only person who was alive to see these blokes play. Based on what would be the most exciting team based on reputation.:
1. Bob Simpson (although I guess he could technically not count as pre-WSC)
2. Sid Barnes
3. Don Bradman
4. Neil Harvey
5. Lindsay Hassett
6. Stan McCabe
7. Warwick Armstrong (c)
8. Keith Miller
9. Alan Davidson
10. Ray Lindwall
11. Jack Blackham (wk)

Some other strong players from the period:

Pacebowlers: Pat Crawford, Geff Noblet, Ted McDonald, Ron Archer, Billy Midwinter (defected to England), Jack Gregory

Spinners: Ranji Hordern, Lesley Kline, Arthur Mailey, Colin McCool

Bats: Alan Kippax, Bob Cowper (at home), Bill Brown, Norm O'Neill, Archie Jackson, Jack Ryder, Warren Bardsley, Herbie Collins, Billy Murdoch (also defected to England)

Last edited:

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Harvey
I Chappell
Miller
Davidson
Benaud (c)
Lindwall
Oldfield (+)
Grimmett

That is some serious batting depth. 5 genuine bowling options, Jack Ryder was a serious chance as well.

Shocked that Trumper has not even been mentioned yet.
Think it's due to the sheer weight of outstanding openers we've had. Trumper, Redpath, Woodfull, Ponsford, Morris, Simpson, Lawry would all have claims to the spot.

Hope Spofforth makes it for all you guys that saw him play.
I used to have a good chat to him when I went to watch Tests in the 1800s.

I recall he wasn't a fan of the DRS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With apologies to many of the great players who missed out, especially those in the pre-WW1 era who didn't have the opportunities players in later years had. Most of these players were fortunate to play without interruption from the two World Wars.

1 Bill Ponsford
2 Arthur Morris - career hampered by WW2, didn't begin until he was 26.
3 Don Bradman (captain)
4 Neil Harvey (vc)
5 Keith Miller
6 Stan McCabe - my father claims he was the best cricketer he ever saw
7 Rodney Marsh
8 Ray Lindwall
9 Clarrie Grimmett
10 Dennis Lillee
11 Bill O'Reilly

As I said, there would have been at least another 11 I would consider.

With apologies to many of the great players who missed out, especially those in the pre-WW1 era who didn't have the opportunities players in later years had. Most of these players were fortunate to play without interruption from the two World Wars.

1 Bill Ponsford
2 Arthur Morris - career hampered by WW2, didn't begin until he was 26.
3 Don Bradman (captain)
4 Neil Harvey (vc)
5 Keith Miller
6 Stan McCabe - my father claims he was the best cricketer he ever saw
7 Rodney Marsh
8 Ray Lindwall
9 Clarrie Grimmett
10 Dennis Lillee
11 Bill O'Reilly

As I said, there would have been at least another 11 I would consider.

Looks pretty solid, however Alan Davidson and Victor Trumper are pretty serious omissions. If you bring Alan Davidson for one of the spinners (if we're playing on a quick deck), that gives you a nice right arm/left arm combination. With Victor, I'll accept 12th man for him if we agree to bring him if the wicket looks sticky. I'm not sure who to drop though.

Think it's due to the sheer weight of outstanding openers we've had. Trumper, Redpath, Woodfull, Ponsford, Morris, Simpson, Lawry would all have claims to the spot.
IIRC he played about half his Tests in the middle order.

I don't think he can be excluded, if only for his consistently exceptional performances on some of history's most batting-unfriendly pitches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back