Best XI of the 1970's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Okay, so a bit of a novel concept here. The idea is to decide upon the best XI from the 1970's through a series of polls. If this gains enough traction, will probably continue this idea for different decades.

So essentially I'll be asking you guys, the BF cricket regulars, to vote on the best players which you believe should qualify for the best 1970's XI, one position at a time. You can vote for any player from any country, but for this particular thread we're just looking for players that played the majority of their careers during the 1970's & peaked during that decade. So, for example, players such as Border or Imran, who are genuine contenders in their own right, despite debuting in the 70's, would be considered to be 80's players. So try to avoid voting for players such as that if you can. Same goes for a player such as Sobers, who really belongs in the 60's.

Eventually we should come up with a general consensus on the best XI from the 1970's. Discussion encouraged.

So, to start us off please nominate one OPENING BATSMAN and one FAST BOWLER to take the new ball.

Over to you...

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Gordon Greenidge (WI)
Jeff Thomson (AUS)
Greenidge is a tough one. Played a large chunk of his career in the 70's, but then went on to play throughout the entirety of the 80's, which makes me think he's more of an 80's player than anything.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Alan Knott
Dennis Lillie
Jeff Thomson
Greg Chappell
Joel Garner
Derek Underwood
Barry Richards
Clive Lloyd
Sunil Gavaskar
Glenn Turner
Rod Marsh
Chris Old
Deryck Murray
Andy Roberts
Sunil Gavaskar
Bishen Bedi
B.S.Chandrashekar
Doug Walters
Ian Chappell
Dennis Amiss
That's all for now, have to go to the footy.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Alan Knott
Dennis Lillie
Jeff Thomson
Greg Chappell
Joel Garner
Derek Underwood
Barry Richards
Clive Lloyd
Sunil Gavaskar
Glenn Turner
Rod Marsh
Chris Old
Deryck Murray
Andy Roberts
Sunil Gavaskar
Bishen Bedi
B.S.Chandrashekar
Doug Walters
Ian Chappell
Dennis Amiss
An all star crew, but just looking for one opening batsman and one opening bowler for now. Building the team piece by piece.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Alan Knott
Dennis Lillie
Jeff Thomson
Greg Chappell
Joel Garner
Derek Underwood
Barry Richards
Clive Lloyd
Sunil Gavaskar
Glenn Turner
Rod Marsh
Chris Old
Deryck Murray
Andy Roberts
Sunil Gavaskar
Bishen Bedi
B.S.Chandrashekar
Doug Walters
Ian Chappell
Dennis Amiss

my first choices would be gavaskar and lillee (although gavaskar played 60 tests in the 70's and 65 in the 80's & lillee played 35 in the 70's , 35 in the 80's and alot of WSC in the 70's).

my next choices would be turner and thomson but they have had a mention.

so i'll throw out these names to go in the mix Ian Redpath & Max Walker.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
my first choices would be gavaskar and lillee (although gavaskar played 60 tests in the 70's and 65 in the 80's & lillee played 35 in the 70's , 35 in the 80's and alot of WSC in the 70's).
Just so people are clear on how this works, it's okay if the players you have in mind have already been nominated. You can second, or third, those votes if you feel they are the best players! The players which garner the most votes will be the ones which make the final cut! So then, DK & Sunny seem to be the prime choices first up...

1970's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

01 SM Gavaskar
09 DK Lillee

For the next couple of spots, I invite everyone to vote for the best No. 3 BATSMAN as well as a SPIN BOWLER.

Pippen94 WireHawk PhatBoy CliffMcTainshaw Gough cricketnut14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Just so people are clear on how this works, it's okay if the players you have in mind have already been nominated. You can second, or third, those votes if you feel they are the best players! The players which garner the most votes will be the ones which make the final cut! So then, DK & Sunny seem to be the prime choices first up...

01 SM Gavaskar
09 DK Lillee

For the next couple of spots, I invite everyone to vote for the best No. 3 BATSMAN as well as a SPIN BOWLER.

Pippen94 WireHawk PhatBoy CliffMcTainshaw Gough cricketnut14

Thanks for putting this together.
No.3 batter = Ian Chappell
Spinner = Underwood

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Deadly Derek Underwood? Bishen Bedi? Erapalli Prassana? Chandra? Geez there’s a few decent choices there

Batsman? Greg Chappell
Sorry, but Ian Chappell was No.3 for the majority of the 70's. Greg Chappell was No.4 for almost all the 70's.
I would nominate Viv Richards in a heartbeat, but he only played half the 70's and all the 80's.
So my No.3 batsman is Ian Chappell.
Not much between Bedi and Underwood. Neither of them great batsman but Underwood was a little better and a better fieldsman.
Spin bowler Underwood

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry, but Ian Chappell was No.3 for the majority of the 70's. Greg Chappell was No.4 for almost all the 70's.
I would nominate Viv Richards in a heartbeat, but he only played half the 70's and all the 80's.
So my No.3 batsman is Ian Chappell.
Not much between Bedi and Underwood. Neither of them great batsman but underwood was a little better and a better fieldsman.
Spin bowler Underwood

Yeah fair enough I though Greg played more there than what he did. His record is surprisingly average there too

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Alrighty then, I don't think Chappelli & Deadly are going to get outvoted here, so I think we can safely slot them both in.

01 SM Gavaskar
03 IM Chappell
09 DK Lillee
10 DL Underwood

Next up, time to nominate an ALL-ROUNDER that can bat somewhere in the top 7 & bowl a few overs, as well as another FAST BOWLER to share the new ball with Lillee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back