Best XI of the 1970's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been inculcated into my head that Ian Chappell was one of the great captains ever so I'm going with Clive as leader because i resent the attempt at influencing me

It's either Andy Roberts or John Snow for the 3rd bowling spot.
I'll go with Andy Roberts. Captain is Ian Chappell.
As an out and out quick, Roberts, Snow and Willis.
As they are batting at 8 though, would have Hadlee ahead of all of them personally.

I assume that Chappelli is captain because it is a side from the 70's?

Overall, I think Lloyd has a strong argument over him as captain.

Alrighty, think Boycs & Knotty have done enough to warrant their spots in the side

1970's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Ok so time to finish off this exercise by selecting the final BOWLER to support the attack. Can be a seamer or spinner, whichever bowler you think deserves to get in the most. Wills & Roberts already have one nom each.

Also, please select who you think should CAPTAIN this team.

Bung Andy Roberts in the final slot and that's a damn fine side.

I'm going for Andy Roberts and his death stare. I loved the way he just got on with his cricket, but only just ahead of Bob Willis.
Clive Lloyd as captain for me, slightly ahead of Ian Chappell. Both captained a similar number of tests, both took over sides that were at a low ebb and took them to world success. Clive for me had just that little bit more.

1970's All-star XI

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd*
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
08 AME Roberts
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Great looking team with a scary bowling unit. Even the spinner is nicknamed 'Deadly'!

Thanks for participating everyone, always fun to flesh out these sort of things over the net.

1970's All-star XI

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd*
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
08 AME Roberts
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Great looking team with a scary bowling unit. Even the spinner is nicknamed 'Deadly'!

Thanks for participating everyone, always fun to flesh out these sort of things over the net.

Didn't vote for Andy Roberts but he does strengthen tail. Like the 3 seamer / 2 spinner attack which is always preferable for all conditions. Opening partnership won't be pretty to watch but should guarantee a solid start & lots of flair to follow

Weird looking side. No way the best team of cricketers that could be assembled that decade.
I have no doubt Mike Proctor, Barry Richards and Graham Pollock are in the best 11 players of that decade.
Throw out Tony Greig for Graham Pollock. Throw out Boycott for Barry Richards
One of Roberts or Thommo has to make way for Proctor
Is there no better spinner than Underwood in that decade ?

Weird looking side. No way the best team of cricketers that could be assembled that decade.
I have no doubt Mike Proctor, Barry Richards and Graham Pollock are in the best 11 players of that decade.
While all the players you have mentioned are fine players, South Africa's ban from world sport in the 70's and 80's due to Apartheid meant that all those players played little to no official Test Cricket in this time. They all played their final test against Australia in May 1970. They barely played any official test matches and could not really be considered for selection.

Tony Grieg was selected as an all-rounder, Graeme Pollock is a pure batsman. To humour you though, he would probably replace on of the Chappell brothers, probably Greg if he were selected.

Also, not only would I not have Proctor ahead of either Thommo or Roberts, Hadlee would be in ahead of Proctor.

If he could have been considered, I would give you Richards ahead of Boycott.

Who would you have ahead of Underwood as a spinner in the 70's? Bishen Bedi is one I can think of, can't think of too many others.

Did Majid Khan play throughout the 1970's ?
Just looked it up, debuted in 1963 and finished in 1983. Comparing them though, would still go with Greig, who averaged 32 with the ball, Majid averaged 53 with the ball.

While all the players you have mentioned are fine players, South Africa's ban from world sport in the 70's and 80's due to Apartheid meant that all those players played little to no official Test Cricket in this time. They all played their final test against Australia in May 1970. They barely played any official test matches and could not really be considered for selection.

Tony Grieg was selected as an all-rounder, Graeme Pollock is a pure batsman. To humour you though, he would probably replace on of the Chappell brothers, probably Greg if he were selected.

Also, not only would I not have Proctor ahead of either Thommo or Roberts, Hadlee would be in ahead of Proctor.

If he could have been considered, I would give you Richards ahead of Boycott.

Who would you have ahead of Underwood as a spinner in the 70's? Bishen Bedi is one I can think of, can't think of too many others.
Last question first.
I never watched any Tests from 70's so I do not know. I simply ask to see if there were any notable spinners from that decade.
Bedi is only one I heard of because whilst I was watching World Series Cricket, he would have been playing the second string Australian Test side but I never saw any of it because I was watching World Series Cricket on channel 9. It was my introduction to cricket and remember Proctor and Barry Richards playing for World XI in it. Packer got them out here because obviously they were some of best in world from that decade.
Richards scored a hundred in the Supertest at SCG.
Proctor swung the ball at good pace and reading about him when he was younger in County Cricket, there is no doubt he was one of best cricketers from that decade. Pollock was clearly up there with Greg Chappell as one of best batsmen in world that decade. The fact South Africa was banned from Test cricket does not make any difference to me if I selecting best players of that decade.
My guess is Hadlee did not play enough in 70's to be in the side and more an 80's player. Otherwise he would be a lock in the team.

For mine, based on the little of 70's I saw via WSC at the time, and also read and seen stuff of earlier in decade Richards, Proctor and Pollock were awesome players and easily World XI worthy before guys like Boycott, Greig etc.

The spinners is that era I feel like I really not heard or read too much about that decade.
It sounds like Underwood is the man for that spot.

My team would be:
Gavaskar
B Richards
I Chappell
G Chappell
G Pollock
C Lloyd
M Proctor
A Knott
A Roberts
D Lillee
D Underwood

and my mind wonders about guys like Zaheer Abbas, Bedi, Eddie Barlow, Thommo and John Snow
I not really sure whom I pick out of Roberts, Thommo and Snow as my memories of Thommo and Roberts are only as veterans so not sure how good Roberts was earlier in decade and also wonder if Thommo gets overrated for ability based on his sheer pace in middle of that decade before shoulder injury.
Thommo quickest bowler ever but were Roberts and Snow better overall bowlers in that decade?
I never saw Snow, just heard his name as best English fast bowler in this period. Ian Chappell never quick to praise a Pom so if he rated Snow highly I thinking he must have been damn good.

Last edited:
Just looked it up, debuted in 1963 and finished in 1983. Comparing them though, would still go with Greig, who averaged 32 with the ball, Majid averaged 53 with the ball.
I think I meant Zaheer Abbas but my mind was trying to remember the stylish Pakistani bat of late 70's and early 80's and thought of the name of Majid Kham first but once I remember there was a Zaheer Abbas I remember he was better. But probably not good enough to oust a Greg Chappell, Pollock or Clive Lloyd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last question first.
I never watched any Tests from 70's so I do not know. I simply ask to see if there were any notable spinners from that decade.
Bedi is only one I heard of because whilst I was watching World Series Cricket, he would have been playing the second string Australian Test side but I never saw any of it because I was watching World Series Cricket on channel 9. It was my introduction to cricket and remember Proctor and Barry Richards playing for World XI in it. Packer got them out here because obviously they were some of best in world from that decade.
Richards scored a hundred in the Supertest at SCG.
Proctor swung the ball at good pace and reading about him when he was younger in County Cricket, there is no doubt he was one of best cricketers from that decade. Pollock was clearly up there with Greg Chappell as one of best batsmen in world that decade. The fact South Africa was banned from Test cricket does not make any difference to me if I selecting best players of that decade.
My guess is Hadlee did not play enough in 70's to be in the side and more an 80's player. Otherwise he would be a lock in the team.

For mine, based on the little of 70's I saw via WSC at the time, and also read and seen stuff of earlier in decade Richards, Proctor and Pollock were awesome players and easily World XI worthy before guys like Boycott, Greig etc.

The spinners is that area I feel like I really not heard or read too much about that decade.
It sounds like Underwood is the man for that spot.

My team would be:
Gavaskar
B Richards
I Chappell
G Chappell
G Pollock
C Lloyd
M Proctor
A Knott
A Roberts
D Lillee
D Underwood

and my mind wonders about guys like Zaheer Abbas, Bedi, Eddie Barlow, Thommo and John Snow
I not really sure whom I pick out of Roberts, Thommo and Snow as my memories of Thommo and Roberts are only as veterans so not sure how good Roberts was earlier in decade and also wonder if Thommo gets overrated for ability based on his sheer pace in middle of that decade before shoulder injury.
Thommo quickest bowler ever but were Roberts and Snow better overall bowlers in that decade?
I never saw Snow, just heard his name as best English fast bowler in this period. Ian Chappell never quick to praise a Pom so if he rated Snow highly I thinking he must have been damn good.
Hadlee debuted in 1973. He played plenty in the 70's. How he is not there is astounding to be honest.

Also, as far as all-rounders go, Imran Khan debuted in 1971, and would have to warrant discussion for selection in such a side, though I don't think is a lock.

Seems like a perfectly balanced side to me. Most of the team picks itself & none of spots you've mentioned are contentious. Greig is the outstanding all rounder for the decade averaging 43 in middle order along with 130 wickets. Underwood is highly regarded by peers of all countries, while despite his reputation & personality Boycott is correct choice to open - he would agree too

1970's All-star XI

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd*
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
08 AME Roberts
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Great side, with the exception of no Hadlee. Sir Richard has a better record than any of the 3 quicks named, though maybe not as quick as any of them.

Seems like a perfectly balanced side to me. Most of the team picks itself & none of spots you've mentioned are contentious. Greig is the outstanding all rounder for the decade averaging 43 in middle order along with 130 wickets. Underwood is highly regarded by peers of all countries, while despite his reputation & personality Boycott is correct choice to open - he would agree too
As I have just stated with others, Hadlee is the only glaring omission for mine. Otherwise pretty good.

Hadlee debuted in 1973. He played plenty in the 70's. How he is not there is astounding to be honest.

Also, as far as all-rounders go, Imran Khan debuted in 1971, and would have to warrant discussion for selection in such a side, though I don't think is a lock.
Did not know Hadlee played that early in that decade. Ok, he gets in then ahead of Roberts and Thommo.
Imran Khan, like Roberts and Thommo will have to miss out then.
Wow, mid 70's to mid 80's was abundance of brilliant pace bowlers.
Holding, Garner and Marshall were awesome too but I think Holding started after Hadlee and Imran so did not consider him for this.

My updated team after finding out Hadlee played that early is as follows:
Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Ian Chappell
Greg Chappell
Graham Pollock
Clive Lloyd
Mike Proctor
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Deadly Derek Underwood

On the touring party... Boycott, Roberts, Thommo, Zaheer and Iron Gloves,

Hadlee's record in the 70's isn't great, neither is Khan's.
Maybe 80's thread can solve this?!
That would possibly have something to do with the fact that NZ were not that strong in the 70's. Would have to be close if not the equal of any of the aforementioned other quicks named.

That would possibly have something to do with the fact that NZ were not that strong in the 70's. Would have to be close if not the equal of any of the aforementioned other quicks named.
Hadlee is the most brilliant pace bowler I seen behind Lillee.
He a lock if he played from 73 onwards.
Thommo, Roberts and Imran more pace but his skill was awesome.
Inswingers and outswingers at will.

Hadlee is the most brilliant pace bowler I seen behind Lillee.
He a lock if he played from 73 onwards.
Thommo, Roberts and Imran more pace but his skill was awesome.
Inswingers and outswingers at will.

hadlee in the 70's
26 tests 107 wickets @ 30.14

hadlee in the 80's
53 tests 289 wickets @ 19.28

hadlee in the 90's
7 tests 35 wickets @ 23.20

Rest of kiwi attack was never that good in any era for Hadlee.
Hadlee was best in mid 80's. Record in 70's doesn't stack up.

My updated team after finding out Hadlee played that early is as follows:
Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Ian Chappell
Greg Chappell
Graham Pollock
Clive Lloyd
Mike Proctor
Alan Knott
Richard Hadlee
Dennis Lillee
Deadly Derek Underwood

On the touring party... Boycott, Roberts, Thommo, Zaheer and Iron Gloves,

Tendulkar was born in 70's - you want to put him in too?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back