Best XI of the 1970's (interactive voting thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

hadlee in the 70's
26 tests 107 wickets @ 30.14

hadlee in the 80's
53 tests 289 wickets @ 19.28

hadlee in the 90's
7 tests 35 wickets @ 23.20
Sounds like Hadlee was raw and still to find his rhythm in early 70's to only average 30.
What are Roberts and Snow stats from the 1970's ?
Curious.
If they under 25, they get back the spot over young and raw version of Hadlee.
Makes me want to look and see if there any youtube footage of Hadlee action in early 70's. Maybe he run up was dodgy early on and refined towards end of 70's and perfected in early 80's. God he had a beautiful bowling action when I seen him in early 80's.

Last edited:
Rest of kiwi attack was never that good in any era for Hadlee.
Hadlee was best in mid 80's. Record in 70's doesn't stack up.
I was as much suggesting that other aspects of NZ cricket were not as good in the 70's either, such as fielding, meaning more dropped chances than later on. As the whole of NZ cricket improved, I would think his stats improved.

After looking at the stats though, can understand the reasoning. I suggest that the tail tended to be longer as well, which without argument Hadlee would stiffen up.

Thanks for link to stats. Will look that up during the week.
Just saw this on youtube of last Test series of the summer in the 70's where West Indies incredibly lose to New Zealand.
Good video in terms of Hadlee explains a bit about Windies were not mentally on their game and maybe why they lost and also technically did not adjust to lower bounce in New Zealand after coming from summer in Australia before it.
The funniest bit of video is right at end where Hadlee says he got bowled trying a reverse sweep.
Here I was thinking Gatting in 1987 World Cup final was one of first to try it in a serious match and fail.
Turns out it was happening a decade earlier.

Thanks for link to stats. Will look that up during the week.
Just saw this on youtube of last Test series of the summer in the 70's where West Indies incredibly lose to New Zealand.
Good video in terms of Hadlee explains a bit about Windies were not mentally on their game and maybe why they lost and also technically did not adjust to lower bounce in New Zealand after coming from summer in Australia before it.
The funniest bit of video is right at end where Hadlee says he got bowled trying a reverse sweep.
Here I was thinking Gatting in 1987 World Cup final was one of first to try it in a serious match and fail.
Turns out it was happening a decade earlier.

That. And some of the most biased umpiring ever seen anywhere.

Michael Holding was one of the calmest, most level headed of fast bowlers. Yet he was moved to do this:

17c6c-15498053168622-800.jpg

Fred Goodall was his name.
His finger goes up pretty quick and holds it up for long time like he relishes it.
I can see why West Indies did not like him but there nothing in video before that looks certain of bad decisions. Just quick decisions.
Hadlee got 7 lbw's but all looked to be bouncing, low but only seeing it from view behind on the videos.

Alrighty, think Boycs & Knotty have done enough to warrant their spots in the side

1970's All-star XI (batting order subject to change)

01 SM Gavaskar
02 G Boycott
03 IM Chappell
04 GS Chappell
05 CH Lloyd
06 AW Greig
07 APE Knott+
09 DK Lillee
10 JR Thomson
11 DL Underwood

Ok so time to finish off this exercise by selecting the final BOWLER to support the attack. Can be a seamer or spinner, whichever bowler you think deserves to get in the most. Wills & Roberts already have one nom each.

Also, please select who you think should CAPTAIN this team.
0/45 at tea on day one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he was not in their top four bowlers anyway.
By time Marshall come along, he would start to be picked ahead of Croft as time went on.

Probably. But he had huge series against England in 1980 and 1980/81. He was a bit off the boil against Australia in 1981/82, but he maybe had other things on his mind?

And this:

My family was involved in the anti apartheid movement and rebel tours were beyond the pale at the time. I haven't much softened my views on the Australian or English players going to South Africa beyond time mellowing youthful radicalism but the West Indians, and I'm guessing the Sri Lankans as well were faced with very different circumstances I've come to realise.

Fred Goodall was his name.

Colin Croft took it a step further. At the 2:20 mark:

Completely unacceptable.

If you have a look at the first ball he appeals for it's an obvious no ball when he goes outside the return crease. The next ball is called for the same reason. When he crashes into Goodall he also bowls a no ball. This was one of the worst examples of bad behaviour in a Test until Sylvester Clarke threw a brick into the crowd in India, badly injuring a spectator.
I played in a game where an opposition bowler, annoyed because of earlier decisions clobbered the umpire in the back of the head with the ball as he was delivering the ball. 10 years holiday. I found out much later the he wasn't trying to knock off the umpires head, only his hat.

If you have a look at the first ball he appeals for it's an obvious no ball when he goes outside the return crease. The next ball is called for the same reason. When he crashes into Goodall he also bowls a no ball. This was one of the worst examples of bad behaviour in a Test until Sylvester Clarke threw a brick into the crowd in India, badly injuring a spectator.
I played in a game where an opposition bowler, annoyed because of earlier decisions clobbered the umpire in the back of the head with the ball as he was delivering the ball. 10 years holiday. I found out much later the he wasn't trying to knock off the umpires head, only his hat.

Only the back foot must be inside the return crease; there is no restriction on the front foot. So, the first delivery was not a no-ball. And wasn't called! The second was clearly a no-ball and was called.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back