Best XI of the 1980's (interactive voting thread)

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Viv Richards and Wasim Akram.
Nice choices but I reckon Wasim belongs in the 90's XI tbh. Debuted in '85, but then went on to play right through the entirety of the 1990's.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah, Viv.
Hadlee.

Interesting how this team will look as a lot of great allrounders for this decade.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
He was lethal from the day dot though.
Eh, if you think he belongs in an 80's XI before a 90's XI then I'll accept it. Ideally though we're looking for players that played the majority of their careers during the decade in question.

Yeah, Viv.
Hadlee.

Interesting how this team will look as a lot of great allrounders for this decade.
I've got an idea in my mind for a bowling line up and those all rounders might get a look in as a fourth bowler with a spinner or a fifth seamer but as pure bowling option there are better ones imo.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I've got an idea in my mind for a bowling line up and those all rounders might get a look in as a fourth bowler with a spinner or a fifth seamer but as pure bowling option there are better ones imo.

A couple are shoe-ins as pure bowlers but others may not be. Given this format it'd be interesting to see who gets in.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
A couple are shoe-ins as pure bowlers but others may not be. Given this format it'd be interesting to see who gets in.
There's potential for all of the great 80's all-rounders to make it if the cookie crumbles the right way (though I can't see that happening considering the overall bowling depth of the decade). Just like you have done, all-rounders can be nominated for bowler's spots if people think they're the right pick.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
gonna be some stiff players to miss out in this era.

the allrounder option will spark debate no doubt.

gonna throw some west indies into the mix first up.

king viv and malcolm marshall.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
1980 to 1983 - 4 calendar years in 80's
and just for fun of it, he went back to his old position against the poor Poms later in the 80's.
Amusing on drinks break, Botham just grabs a drink from West Indian 12th man that was giving Viv a drink.
He must have had enough of the thrashing he felt he deserved a drink for having to keep bowling to him.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
and just for fun of it, he went back to his old position against the poor Poms later in the 80's.
Amusing on drinks break, Botham just grabs a drink from West Indian 12th man that was giving Viv a drink.
He must have had enough of the thrashing he felt he deserved a drink for having to keep bowling to him.

Somerset teammates

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Not to rain on the parade but the West Indies number 3 for most of the decade was Antiguan and had Richards in his name but it wasn’t viv
Richie Richardson?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
We batted John Dyson number 3 at one point when Viv was number 3 for Windies.
It was like chalk and cheese and depressing knowing how much difference there was in class.
We did not have much success at 3 in the 1980's from memory and tended to just play three openers at top or order. Geoff Marsh, Boon, Wessels, Dyson et all probably had a turn from time to time.
Was not until Ponting come along did we find a counter attacking number but that was in 90's.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
We batted John Dyson number 3 at one point when Viv was number 3 for Windies.
It was like chalk and cheese and depressing knowing how much difference there was in class.
We did not have much success at 3 in the 1980's from memory and tended to just play three openers at top or order. Geoff Marsh, Boon, Wessels, Dyson et all probably had a turn from time to time.
Was not until Ponting come along did we find a counter attacking number but that was in 90's.

Border & Boon were excellent no.3's

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yeah, border batted mainly at 4 & 5 but has excellent record at first drop
Border averaged over 50 when he batted 4, 5 and 6 but the few times he batted number 3 he averaged about 47 which is still damn good but he was mainly later order for us throughout most of the 1980's. He made one century in the 1980's in the few times he batted first drop. I see he did bat 3 a bit more before the 1980's when look at some scores.
Viv Richards averaged around 61 at first drop.
Best first drop I ever seen.
The famous last ball of day by Lillee to him at MCG he bowls Viv, was when Croft came in as nightwatchman at first drop. Failed to stop the rot though. Think they were 4 for 11 at stumps. Most epic end to a day plays at MCG I can remember.

Back