Prediction Best XXII for the Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Feel like we have not had a truly settled side for the whole year, with a lot of different contributors across the list. But now we're headed for the business end of the season, and a slightly unexpected finals run. Very interested to gauge opinion on what our best team is going into the finals, because I think there's a lot of room for variance and debate in this discussion. Obviously to some extent it may depend on our opponents, but I still think a useful exercise to talk it out.*

Here's my crack:

B: Cunningham - Rampe - Fox
HB: Lloyd - McCartin - Blakey
C: Florent - Mills - Dawson
HF: Gulden - Franklin - Heeney
FF: Papley - Amartey - Hayward
R: Hickey - Kennedy - Parker

IC: Wicks - Hewett - McInerney - Campbell

On The Edge:

Joel Amartey:
Seen a few posts suggesting that Amartey should make way once Reid is back to full fitness, but have to say I disagree. I think what he's brought to the side has been invaluable in the last few weeks and although I thought Reid had been quite good to start the season - I'm comfortable having Amartey ahead of him at this stage.

Braeden Campbell: Probably the most out there selection given he hasn't played in a few months, but I think he has something that others on our list don't and could be a massive contributor in finals. If it's a choice between an underwhelming Rowbottom, Bell, Stephens or Campbell I'm taking Campbell at the moment.

Nick Blakey: He's almost not really in this category after his last month in the backline, but I would probably say his spot in the side is amongst the least secure nonetheless. Extremely promising month of football though. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Sam Wicks: Been very consistent all season and a fixture in the side, but could he be vulnerable for a tall? I think there's an argument for Reid or McDonald not in for Amartey but for Wicks.

Outside Looking In:

Logan McDonald:
One of the most important players on our list going forward into the next five years of hopefully strong flag contention, so he can never to be too far away from the discussion. Will be interesting to see if he gets a game in the next few weeks - might be his chance to nail down a spot. At this stage, not in for me.

James Rowbottom: Hasn't looked great all season if we're being honest. And I think there's questions to be asked about whether he quite suits the game style we're playing this year. No doubt a good replacement for Kennedy, but unsure if he's required in the first 22 on this year's form.

James Bell: Tries hard, and has had pretty good games in the last few weeks - but I just find it hard to believe there aren't 22 better players than him on our list.

Dylan Stephens:
I really want him to make it, but he's well behind the likes of Florent, Dawson, McInerney and Gulden with who he's competing for a spot with.

Sam Reid: See the discussion re: Amartey. Wouldn't begrudge anyone who had him in their 22, but just misses out for me.

*touch wood that we make finals. Wouldn't want to pull a RUNVS from earlier in the season.

*touch wood that we make finals. Wouldn't want to pull a RUNVS from earlier in the season.

Hey it worked didn't it :p

Side note I like your team. I hope guys like Campbell and McDonald can force their way back into the team come finals as they both bring something we need. I mean we are pretty attacking down back with McInerney and Dawson already, but imagine adding Campbell to the mix.

Feel like we have not had a truly settled side for the whole year, with a lot of different contributors across the list. But now we're headed for the business end of the season, and a slightly unexpected finals run. Very interested to gauge opinion on what our best team is going into the finals, because I think there's a lot of room for variance and debate in this discussion. Obviously to some extent it may depend on our opponents, but I still think a useful exercise to talk it out.*

Here's my crack:

On The Edge:

Joel Amartey:
Seen a few posts suggesting that Amartey should make way once Reid is back to full fitness, but have to say I disagree. I think what he's brought to the side has been invaluable in the last few weeks and although I thought Reid had been quite good to start the season - I'm comfortable having Amartey ahead of him at this stage.

Braeden Campbell: Probably the most out there selection given he hasn't played in a few months, but I think he has something that others on our list don't and could be a massive contributor in finals. If it's a choice between an underwhelming Rowbottom, Bell, Stephens or Campbell I'm taking Campbell at the moment.

Nick Blakey: He's almost not really in this category after his last month in the backline, but I would probably say his spot in the side is amongst the least secure nonetheless. Extremely promising month of football though. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Sam Wicks: Been very consistent all season and a fixture in the side, but could he be vulnerable for a tall? I think there's an argument for Reid or McDonald not in for Amartey but for Wicks.

Outside Looking In:

Logan McDonald:
One of the most important players on our list going forward into the next five years of hopefully strong flag contention, so he can never to be too far away from the discussion. Will be interesting to see if he gets a game in the next few weeks - might be his chance to nail down a spot. At this stage, not in for me.

James Rowbottom: Hasn't looked great all season if we're being honest. And I think there's questions to be asked about whether he quite suits the game style we're playing this year. No doubt a good replacement for Kennedy, but unsure if he's required in the first 22 on this year's form.

James Bell: Tries hard, and has had pretty good games in the last few weeks - but I just find it hard to believe there aren't 22 better players than him on our list.

Dylan Stephens:
I really want him to make it, but he's well behind the likes of Florent, Dawson, McInerney and Gulden with who he's competing for a spot with.

Sam Reid: See the discussion re: Amartey. Wouldn't begrudge anyone who had him in their 22, but just misses out for me.

I would only make one change and promote Reid ahead of Amartey on account of his proven ability to play down back when the game is on the line. If McCartin or Rampe got injured I would want Reid to shore up the defence. Amartey is far superior second ruckman though so it's very close. These are the selection headaches that good contending clubs have though so it's great that we can even have this conversation.

Here's my crack:

On The Edge:

Joel Amartey:

Outside Looking In:

Logan McDonald:

Dylan Stephens:

Needs more Chad.

Needs more Chad.

Genuine question, with guys like Gulden, McInerney, Dawson, Campbell and Warner have we ever had such an attacking group of players?

I remember back in the day Kennelly, Mattner and Shaw were a massive weapon for us, but I think this group is even better.

Genuine question, with guys like Gulden, McInerney, Dawson, Campbell and Warner have we ever had such an attacking group of players?

I remember back in the day Kennelly, Mattner and Shaw were a massive weapon for us, but I think this group is even better.
you're dead right. I can't remember us ever playing with such dare and confidence. And for the first time in forever we're fast! So great in rebounding the ball

Sam Reid has to be playing but also close to best 22.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Here's my crack:

On The Edge:

Joel Amartey:

Outside Looking In:

Logan McDonald:

Dylan Stephens:

You've put a very thoroughly thought out proposition up for discussion. A fair bit of it is unarguable.
Making the assumption that Reid, Melican, Campbell and Warner are fit I would start with today's originally selected team and make just a few changes:
Reid in for Amartey. Amartey jumps better but Reid is actually the better ruck. Reid also brings significant forward pressure.
Warner in for Bell. Otherwise the same cattle.

Wicks Franklin Papley
Heeney Reid Hayward
Florent Hewett McInerney
Dawson McCartin Blakey
Cunningham Rampe Fox
Hickey Parker Mills
I/C Warner Kennedy Gulden Lloyd

Of course positions could be altered but these would be our best 22 if fit NOW.

Bell has been doing a good job but Warner offers more in midfield rotations.
Rowbottom is not 100% and is clearly being managed.
Dyl Stephens is not settled enough under pressure.
Melican would have to be first cab off the rank if Dane or Tom was injured but for mine is not first choice.
Brand has lost his chance unless desperate.
COR is a good emergency. Taylor or Clarke acceptable too, at a pinch
Campbell is not yet better than any of the backman chosen. Maybe next season, but the switch to using Blakey and McInerney to run the ball out has changed the dynamic quite a lot. Improved Lloyd's contribution too.
One of Rowy or Bell would be the medi-sub.
It is certainly arguable to go with a third tall but none of Amartey, McDonald or McLean have much experience, or, IMO, the aggressiveness in play. The smalls have been getting the job done very effectively.
So @ me and tell me where I'm wrong.

I suspect Blakey holds his spot for his height and mobility and IF his current form holds.

We do need height there, particularly with Dawson playing further upfield. However at one stage he got bested by Himmelberg. It was like watching a pogo stick v a Mack Truck. Nick has to find ways to compensate when playing against much heavier people.

Amartey doesn't get picked ahead of Reid if we are being realistic

Reid is a better player right now in both positions, and has finals experience.

This is the team I made in May

B: Fox - Rampe - Cunningham
HB: Lloyd - McCartin - Dawson
C: Florent - Mills - McInerney
HF: Papley - Reid - Gulden
F: Hayward - Franklin - Heeney
R: Hickey - Parker - Rowbottom

INT: Kennedy - Hewett - Warner - Wicks

I think the only player I have any interest in fitting in that isn't already there is Blakey, which would probably be for Rowbottom if I had to pick. Otherwise I'll stick to my guns.

B: Cunningham - McCartin - Fox
HB: Lloyd - Rampe - Blakey
FF: Papley - Reid - Hayward

IC: Wicks - Hewett - McInerney - Warner

If we can keep fit we'll cause some damage but we really are thin after the best 22-24 players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can keep fit we'll cause some damage but we really are thin after the best 22-24 players

Same 22 for me.

How many games does a player need under their belt - who has been out for > 4 weeks injured - need to have played before finals?
Reid, Warner, Campbell come to mind.

I suspect Blakey holds his spot for his height and mobility and IF his current form holds.

We do need height there, particularly with Dawson playing further upfield. However at one stage he got bested by Himmelberg. It was like watching a pogo stick v a Mack Truck. Nick has to find ways to compensate when playing against much heavier people.
Didn't see it but can certainly imagine.
I think Blakey's tackling technique generally needs a fair bit of work. He is big and strong enough.
Check out Wicks, Heeney, Cunningham who have terrific technique. Wicks' tackle that earnt a goal was a perfect example of "reeling him in".

How many games does a player need under their belt - who has been out for > 4 weeks injured - need to have played before finals?
Reid, Warner, Campbell come to mind.
As a non-medical person I should really answer "I don't know" but as a fan I say it depends on the nature of the injury and how much work they can put in while rehabbing.
All three of those are leg issues so I would think at least two. One part game and one full.
The younger guys will have less residual fitness so probably longer than Reid.
As far as finals are concerned I would definitely play Reid, maybe Warner but not Campbell if fit enough.
Reid to replace Amartey
Warner to replace Bell maybe
Campbell not yet better than the incumbents.
FWIW.

I would hate to choose a 22. There are 23 worthy including Rowbottom of course. You leave him out its unfair. Leave Blakey out its equally unfair.

I would hate to choose a 22. There are 23 worthy including Rowbottom of course. You leave him out its unfair. Leave Blakey out its equally unfair.

Going back to the reserves has really helped a couple of our players this year. Hayward and Blakey look a lot better now than they did at the start of the season.

I really don't know how to fit Rowbottom in that 22. Bonkers compared to the beginning of the season when he would have been a close auto lock. Easily pick 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back