Prediction Best XXII for the Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't know how to fit Rowbottom in that 22. Bonkers compared to the beginning of the season when he would have been a close auto lock. Easily pick 23

Rowbottom is not in great form right now. I think he is playing with an injury. If he plays like he did last year he is in the best 22 no doubt about it.

B: Fox | McCartin | Cunningham
HB: Lloyd | Rampe | Blakey
C: McInerney | Parker | Dawson
HF: Gulden | Franklin | Heeney
F: Papley | Amartey | Wicks

Foll: Hickey | HEWETT | Mills

I/C: Kennedy, Hayward, Warner, Florent

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Reid is better enough than our young forwards have been to justify playing him over them. We can have dangerous talls and win while simultaneously keeping an eye on the future, so we should do it.

An even more unpopular opinion but I would put Rowbottom on ice for the year. No AFL, no VFL. Anyone who thinks he's gonna be able to meaningfully contribute in the remaining games or a final when he's in this shape is kidding themselves. Just sit him out, give his body the rest it clearly needs, and we'll see him in 2022 when I'm certain he'll make some people look very silly.

I feel like I've missed someone but oh well...

Lloyd is a coach favourite. It would take him losing a leg for Longmire to even maybe consider dropping Lloyd for a week.
I think LLoyd has been good the past couple of months. Has been a bit harder at it and also more prepared to take on the attacking kick rather than always take the safe and risk free option. Also providing plenty of run.

I will take that bet. Lloyd will not be dropped unless it’s in his twilight years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't offer a bet. I only bet on certainties, like Sam Reid kicking a bag.

But there's only enough space in the backline for a certain amount of attacking backmen. Dawson is one, Lloyd another, and now Blakey. Campbell, the "best kick in the competition" is looming. Ling appears to have got himself injured (again) right at the wrong time (again).

EDIT: I should add that I had a "moment" during the game the other night. I'm not sure exactly when it was but we had the ball in the defensive goal area and Lloyd was on his own. Out near the boundary on the 50m was a one on one. I said to the TV, "don't lead there Lloyd, don't lead there". He led there. It was a turnover and a score to them. "AND YOU CAN SHAVE OFF THAT ******* RIDICULOUS MOUSTACHE WHILST YOU'RE AT IT!!"

Last edited:
I would go with the following:

B: Fox McCartin Lloyd
HB: Cunningham Rampe Blakey
C: Dawson Mills Florent
HF: Gulden Franklin Heeney
F: Papley Reid Hayward
R: Hickey Kennedy Parker
I/C: Hewett McInerney Warner Wicks
Sub: Rowbottom

Reid over Amartey, feel like in 12 months Amartey could be the better player but at this stage Reid has him covered just.
Guys like Mcdonald, Campbell, Stephens, Mclean waiting in the wings. I think we could find trouble if McCartin or Rampe go down, not a lot of depth in key defensive stocks.

I would go with the following:

B: Fox McCartin Lloyd
HB: Cunningham Rampe Blakey
C: Dawson Mills Florent
HF: Gulden Franklin Heeney
F: Papley Reid Hayward
R: Hickey Kennedy Parker
I/C: Hewett McInerney Warner Wicks
Sub: Rowbottom

Reid over Amartey, feel like in 12 months Amartey could be the better player but at this stage Reid has him covered just.
Guys like Mcdonald, Campbell, Stephens, Mclean waiting in the wings. I think we could find trouble if McCartin or Rampe go down, not a lot of depth in key defensive stocks.

Pretty much agree. However if fit and form I would swap Rowbottom with JGK..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wicks has been an absolute bolter this season. Wasn't in many fans 22 at the beginning of the year, now he's in everyones. He really has been a nice compliment in our forward 6

It's hasn't been mentioned for a while but of our forward 6 in Wicks, Papley, Hayward, Heeney, Buddy and Reid any of them can kick a bag.

So can McDonald and he isn't even in the main team yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back