Analysis Best young guns

Remove this Banner Ad

4 goals and 12 touches is not “best young player in the game” material. He wasn’t even BOG that game.
He was the leading goal kicker from both teams against the 2nd team on the ladder....

You don't need to be BOG every game for "best young player in the game" material... That's not even the standard for brownlow medalists.

Look I don't agree with OP in saying that De Goey is better than Kelly, Oliver etc...

However just looking at your list I say he'd be your 4th-5th best player overall. I'd only have J Roo, Martin, Rance ahead of him. Definitely prefer De Goey over the likes of Cotchin/Higgins/Nank/Prestia/Rioli on match day.

Assuming we are going from the 2012 draft onwards based on your crop and the mention of Wines.
Top 10

1) Jack Macrae
2) Joe Daniher
3) Brodie Grundy
4) Josh Kelly
5) Isaac Heeney
6) Clayton Oliver
7) Patrick Cripps
8) Zach Merrett
9) Marcus Bontempelli
10) Orazio Fantasia

This is not biased at all

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clayton Oliver is #1 and the only reason people will disagree is because he’s a dirty redhead.

De Goey is a forward and shouldn’t be here.

And Heeney is all hype. The commentators absolutely froth his great performances but they come rarely. He just plays an old-fashion style.
Cos your subjective opinion is more important than anyone else and it's outrageous that people dare to disagree?

He was the leading goal kicker from both teams against the 2nd team on the ladder....

You don't need to be BOG every game for "best young player in the game" material... That's not even the standard for brownlow medalists.

Look I don't agree with OP in saying that De Goey is better than Kelly, Oliver etc...

However just looking at your list I say he'd be your 4th-5th best player overall. I'd only have J Roo, Martin, Rance ahead of him. Definitely prefer De Goey over the likes of Cotchin/Higgins/Nank/Prestia/Rioli on match day.

I didn't say he had to be BOG every game but it would be nice if he was BOG against a good team in a game that actually meant something if you're going to try and convince people he's one of the best young players in the competition.

Not sure why you'd bring the Richmond list into the discussion at all because it's not relevant. Unless you want to talk about round 6 this year when De Goey was basically unsighted in game with finals like pressure against the reigning premiers?

De Goey has a lot of work to do to even be considered on the same level as the likes of Kelly, Oliver, Cripps, Bont and Heeney.

Players up to third year/21 years old Completely biased but Taranto is looking good and he hasn’t got the hype but Hopper is slowly building his body of work and if he continues developing and has a good run without injuries he will not be elite but he could develop into an A grader
From other clubs Oliver is already a gun,
Lots of other names hyped but IMO
Curnow nothing needs to be said
Stephenson, played every game for a first year is amazing and kicking goals
McGrath solid but not spectacular yet and maybe with his size his ceiling is limited or it could be the position he is playing
Parfitt from Geelong looks good and I think next year if he gets more opportunities Cats fans will be excited over one of there youth
Gresham will be a star but I think his size will restrict his ability in the middle and he will need to play more as a forward
Not sure who will be better from the Swans between Florent, Ronke and Hayward but the club would b happy with those three in the team

I didn't say he had to be BOG every game but it would be nice if he was BOG against a good team in a game that actually meant something if you're going to try and convince people he's one of the best young players in the competition.

Not sure why you'd bring the Richmond list into the discussion at all because it's not relevant. Unless you want to talk about round 6 this year when De Goey was basically unsighted in game with finals like pressure against the reigning premiers?

De Goey has a lot of work to do to even be considered on the same level as the likes of Kelly, Oliver, Cripps, Bont and Heeney.
Ahh he played in the midfield on Queens Bday and dominated. If he doesnt kick 6 against the Saints we potentially lose. If he doesnt kick 5 against the Lions we lose. He has 15 goals in his last 4 games, regardless of who you are against those are phenomenal numbers for any player in the comp.

Now im not saying he is the best young player but he has the ability to win games off his own boot, which not many players can do.

Players up to third year/21 years old Completely biased but Taranto is looking good and he hasn’t got the hype but Hopper is slowly building his body of work and if he continues developing and has a good run without injuries he will not be elite but he could develop into an A grader
From other clubs Oliver is already a gun,
Lots of other names hyped but IMO
Curnow nothing needs to be said
Stephenson, played every game for a first year is amazing and kicking goals
McGrath solid but not spectacular yet and maybe with his size his ceiling is limited or it could be the position he is playing
Parfitt from Geelong looks good and I think next year if he gets more opportunities Cats fans will be excited over one of there youth
Gresham will be a star but I think his size will restrict his ability in the middle and he will need to play more as a forward
Not sure who will be better from the Swans between Florent, Ronke and Hayward but the club would b happy with those three in the team
Now i havent seen his name much. Very underrated in my opinion

Ahh he played in the midfield on Queens Bday and dominated. If he doesnt kick 6 against the Saints we potentially lose. If he doesnt kick 5 against the Lions we lose. He has 15 goals in his last 4 games, regardless of who you are against those are phenomenal numbers for any player in the comp.

Now im not saying he is the best young player but he has the ability to win games off his own boot, which not many players can do.

Oh wow, the Saints and Lions? Teams with a combined 8 wins!? That's not really comparable to Bont being BOG in the 2016 GF is it? Or Cripps and Oliver breaking records with their contested possession stats or Josh Kelly being arguably the best player in the comp and BOG more often than not each time he steps onto the field.

Even Dan Rioli has kicked 4 goals in a PF. De Goey beating up on teams trying to make finals (Demon) and lowly rebuilders does not impress me.

Oh wow, the Saints and Lions? Teams with a combined 8 wins!? That's not really comparable to Bont being BOG in the 2016 GF is it? Or Cripps and Oliver breaking records with their contested possession stats or Josh Kelly being arguably the best player in the comp and BOG more often than not each time he steps onto the field.
The Saints struggle with accuracy on goals, if they converted half of the chances they miss they would be there or there abouts. When the Lions are on they move the ball and score as heavily as any team in the comp. Plus all of those players you mentioned are playing full time mid minutes. Jordan is playing 80% of games this year from the goal square. My point is you still have to go out and produce. If he didnt he wouldnt even be in the conversation.

The Saints struggle with accuracy on goals, if they converted half of the chances they miss they would be there or there abouts. When the Lions are on they move the ball and score as heavily as any team in the comp. Plus all of those players you mentioned are playing full time mid minutes. Jordan is playing 80% of games this year from the goal square. My point is you still have to go out and produce. If he didnt he wouldnt even be in the conversation.

So now you're trying to convince me the Saints are a good team? The only reason De Goey is part of the conversation is because Pie fans keep insisting that he should be. He's not in the top 5.

Assuming we are going from the 2012 draft onwards based on your crop and the mention of Wines.
Top 10

1) Jack Macrae
2) Joe Daniher
3) Brodie Grundy
4) Josh Kelly
5) Isaac Heeney
6) Clayton Oliver
7) Patrick Cripps
8) Zach Merrett
9) Marcus Bontempelli
10) Orazio Fantasia
Fantasia ahead of Gresham

Lal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Kelly
2) Bontempelli
3) De Goey
4) Cripps
5) Oliver

I think next year we'll be adding Petracca to these descusions. Saddest part is Wingard and Wines used to be apart of these and their careers haven't even been ruined by injuries. Instead Ken Hinkley as a coach will ruin anyone's career.
Wingard has been the biggest let down. Had the comp at his feet a few years ago. He seems to have turned into a flash in the pan forward

So now you're trying to convince me the Saints are a good team? The only reason De Goey is part of the conversation is because Pie fans keep insisting that he should be. He's not in the top 5.
He is 100% apart of the comps best young guns. Not top 5 because there is an elite midfield talent under 22. When he moves to the midfield he will be one of the comps best players.

On revealed form Taranto is definitely our contender in this category, and a great get. In a couple of years Will Setterfield could be our best pick from this draft though. Two years on this thread is really defining the quickest developers a bit.

As usual, you’ll find opposition supporters tripping over their own feet to shut down any opinion opposed to the Collingwood player being the worst player in the poll. It actually happens 100% of the time.
De Goey could end up the best.

However after this year there will be 4 AA players on this list and DeGoey isn't one yet. That is the only reason he would be at least 5th on this list.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Based off the players eligible for the 22under22 team (no Kelly, no Cripps who would be my top 2).

1. Clayton Oliver - top 5 mid in the comp now, best handballer in the comp, will be starting AA mid
2. Isaac Heeney - most versatile midfielder in the comp with insanely strong hands and a taste for the big moment
3. Marcus Bontempelli - niggles have reduced his growth season-to-season but he gets rated on what a 26 year old elite mid should be doing, not what a 22 year old should be doing. Rate him fairly (22 yo) and you see what he has done is remarkable
4. Charlie Curnow - the first "potential" rating in the comp, doesn't quite have the work behind him as the next 3 in this list but what he does as a key forward in a bottom side is fantastic and I gave him an extra point or 2 for that
5. Zach Merrett - right up there, have probably brought him down a notch or 2 because I think this year his ball-use has dropped just 5-10% and it was a standout before
6. Harris Andrews - clear best young key defender in the comp
7. Jordan De Goey
8. Jade Gresham
9. Hugh McCluggage
10. Tim Taranto

Raffle the order of the last 3.

Hugh McCluggage seriously flying under the radar! Him and Tim Taranto easily the best players from the 2016 draft. Andy McGrath not in the same ball park as them ATM.

McCluggage is top 10 with the potential to be top 3 in a year or two. Watching him weave through traffic like training cones is like watching a young Simon Black

Remove this Banner Ad

Back