Analysis Best young guns

Remove this Banner Ad

Based off the players eligible for the 22under22 team (no Kelly, no Cripps who would be my top 2).

1. Clayton Oliver - top 5 mid in the comp now, best handballer in the comp, will be starting AA mid
2. Isaac Heeney - most versatile midfielder in the comp with insanely strong hands and a taste for the big moment
3. Marcus Bontempelli - niggles have reduced his growth season-to-season but he gets rated on what a 26 year old elite mid should be doing, not what a 22 year old should be doing. Rate him fairly (22 yo) and you see what he has done is remarkable
4. Charlie Curnow - the first "potential" rating in the comp, doesn't quite have the work behind him as the next 3 in this list but what he does as a key forward in a bottom side is fantastic and I gave him an extra point or 2 for that
5. Zach Merrett - right up there, have probably brought him down a notch or 2 because I think this year his ball-use has dropped just 5-10% and it was a standout before
6. Harris Andrews - clear best young key defender in the comp
7. Jordan De Goey
8. Jade Gresham
9. Hugh McCluggage
10. Tim Taranto

Raffle the order of the last 3.
The 2016 grand final did not suggest this.

My tip is Kelly never reaches the heights people expect of him. I just don’t understand why so many fap over him.
DeGoey will be the next Dusty, as OP said he just has that arrogant IT factor that next level players have. Will be tearing apart the competition in a few years.

Il be looking back through my post history and bring this up to show you all

Based off the players eligible for the 22under22 team (no Kelly, no Cripps who would be my top 2).

1. Clayton Oliver - top 5 mid in the comp now, best handballer in the comp, will be starting AA mid
2. Isaac Heeney - most versatile midfielder in the comp with insanely strong hands and a taste for the big moment
3. Marcus Bontempelli - niggles have reduced his growth season-to-season but he gets rated on what a 26 year old elite mid should be doing, not what a 22 year old should be doing. Rate him fairly (22 yo) and you see what he has done is remarkable
4. Charlie Curnow - the first "potential" rating in the comp, doesn't quite have the work behind him as the next 3 in this list but what he does as a key forward in a bottom side is fantastic and I gave him an extra point or 2 for that
5. Zach Merrett - right up there, have probably brought him down a notch or 2 because I think this year his ball-use has dropped just 5-10% and it was a standout before
6. Harris Andrews - clear best young key defender in the comp
7. Jordan De Goey
8. Jade Gresham
9. Hugh McCluggage
10. Tim Taranto

Raffle the order of the last 3.
I’m not sure that right now Oliver is even Melbourne’s best player 22 and under.

Angus Brayshaw is playing ridiculously good footy. He is all class.

I’m not sure that right now Oliver is even Melbourne’s best player 22 and under.

Angus Brayshaw is playing ridiculously good footy. He is all class.
Brayshaw has been really good but lets not go all stupid with these calls

Jarrod Berry is the big sleeper here. 6’4 mid who is a seriously underrated & a real talent. Held Cripps to 21, kept Fyfe quiet until he went off and when freed up he had 28 against North. Tough as nails and if the 2016 draft is held again he goes top 4.
Yep, he flies under the radar behind the likes of McCluggage, Rayner and Witherden but he's as hard as a cats head, he gets in and under gets the tough stuff done and runs to provide an option to the point of exhaustion, disposal under rated as well.

Reminds me of Josh Kennedy (Swans) a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My tip is Kelly never reaches the heights people expect of him. I just don’t understand why so many fap over him.
DeGoey will be the next Dusty, as OP said he just has that arrogant IT factor that next level players have. Will be tearing apart the competition in a few years.

Il be looking back through my post history and bring this up to show you all
Kelly has already reached the heights people expect of him. A current top 10 midfielder in the comp.

I claimed 12 months ago that De Goey is the closest thing to dusty/danger and it was laughed at me, pretty clear that I was right now.

For 2019, I expect the top 10 mids will be:

1. Patrick Dangerfield
2. Dustin Martin
3. Nathan Fyfe
4. Josh Kelly
5. Tom Mitchell
6. Patrick Cripps
7. Jackson Macrae
8. Clayton Oliver
9. Adam Treloar
10. Andrew Gaff

I claimed 12 months ago that De Goey is the closest thing to dusty/danger and it was laughed at me, pretty clear that I was right now.

Settle down buddy. De Goey proably resembles more a Josh Caddy at this point. He had a few 35+ possession games earlier in his career as well.

Settle down buddy. De Goey proably resembles more a Josh Caddy at this point. He had a few 35+ possession games earlier in his career as well.

Rayner is the closest to being the next Dusty/Dangerfield - right down to the 'don't argue'

"I've seen that mentioned a couple of times," Rayner said. "I definitely model my game around his ability to impact a game with a couple of big possessions and moments. He bullocks through the midfield and has that clean outside game too, and I like to use my body 'inside' and then hit targets by foot."

Rayner is the closest to being the next Dusty/Dangerfield - right down to the 'don't argue'

"I've seen that mentioned a couple of times," Rayner said. "I definitely model my game around his ability to impact a game with a couple of big possessions and moments. He bullocks through the midfield and has that clean outside game too, and I like to use my body 'inside' and then hit targets by foot."
think raynar is more the isaac smith type with his goal kicking in clutch moments ;)

Just kiddingggg relax

Rayner will become our best player very quickly. He’s the type of bloke who will peak very early in his career and remain consistently good until retirement. From what we’ve seen so far, there is absolutely nothing that suggests otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back