List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good names and talent named but boy do I love Ben King.

Both Kings are great but Ben King seems to create sone tough scoring chances in a variety of ways which is amazing. Now he is not taking these chances but he is only 19 in 2 years time he could be the best Key FWD in the game especially if the suns can keep the talent in that FWD line growing together. Once Rankine, King, Sexton, Ainsworth get 50 games together it would be amazing to watch, do think the suns should target an experienced tall to help them and not named Day but someone like Gunston, Ben Brown etc.

I don't have to counter anything, the onus is on you to prove that McKay is better than Weideman given that what we've seen is Weideman is currently better.

Why is McKay better?
Don't bother, some Carlton fans overrate a lot of their players.

When did you survey most Carlton supporters?

Please refer to the stats I posted, if Harry is flaky then Weideman is more so.
McKay is a victim of being good enough for a long time. He hasn't really shown the consistent ability to be the #1 forward which, given his obvious ability to be so, is of some concern. Having said that, he's young, and he's too good not to eventually be a 50-goal a season forward.

Weideman is in a great patch of form and is very much 'the man' in a much improved Melbourne forward line. He'll need to play this way for another season or so before we can definitively call this his baseline rather than a good patch of form.

People loved trolling the Bulldogs about how overpaid Tom Boyd was. I would love to know how much Mitch McGovern is getting paid by Carlton. He seems to fly under the radar from any criticism.

Probably a similar amount to Josh Bruce who he has outperformed this season despite being constantly injured.

The good news is Gov is out of contract this year and we can renegotiate, Bruce will be milking the Dogs until 2023.

Stick to the thread mate.

Probably a similar amount to Josh Bruce who he has outperformed this season despite being constantly injured.

The good news is Gov is out of contract this year and we can renegotiate, Bruce will be milking the Dogs until 2023.

Stick to the thread mate.
Lol what’s Bruce got to do with a thread about young key forwards? Josh Bruce has been copping criticism left, right and centre. But because McGovern wears a Carlton guernsey it seems like it’s a free pass to disappoint.

But you’re right about getting it back on track. How many key forwards would you pick ahead of Naughton? Him and Ugle-Hagan will be mouth watering next year.

Pack mark and goal from outside 50. Must win game, fourth quarter, when all his older teammates were missing. Pretty incredible. In his 3rd game.
Didn't he win the final ground ball in a sprint and setup the sealer as well?

Lol what’s Bruce got to do with a thread about young key forwards? Josh Bruce has been copping criticism left, right and centre. But because McGovern wears a Carlton guernsey it seems like it’s a free pass to disappoint.

But you’re right about getting it back on track. How many key forwards would you pick ahead of Naughton? Him and Ugle-Hagan will be mouth watering next year.

What’s McGovern got to do with the thread?

I agree. I’d probably take Max but that’s about it. Don’t know enough about JUH.

McGovern is 25 so why did you bring him up if you don't think Bruce should be brought up...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was only showing how hypocritical you were being.

Neither should be discussed in this thread for both talent and age reasons.

sh*t attempt at a troll.
How’s asking about a young 192 cm forward in his mid 20s trolling? If I wanted to troll Carlton there is a million better ways I could have gone about it.

Last edited:
People loved trolling the Bulldogs about how overpaid Tom Boyd was. I would love to know how much Mitch McGovern is getting paid by Carlton. He seems to fly under the radar from any criticism.

Nobody expects anything from Mitch McGovern, it is accepted that Carlton overpaid for a lazy dud. But they ripped the Crows off blind for Gibbs so there is that.......

I love watching Naughton and the King boys, all fantastic with different play styles.
McKay has the ability to be up there with them imo, his contested marking is a strong point but he lets himself (and the team) down in front of goal. Could have kicked a few bags this season if he was accurate.
Also, I can't wait to see Charlie Curnow get a consistent run, very missed in our side.

I honestly don’t see it with Weideman. He doesn’t seem big, or athletic, or particularly talented.

The comparison to McKay seems laughable. McKay carried an injury and went through a form slump this year, yet his stats are just better:

McKay: 7.5 disposals, 1.6 goals (1.1 behinds), 4.5 marks, 1.5 tackles, 1.7 contested marks
Weideman: 7.7 disposals, 1.5 goals (0.6 behinds), 3.1 marks, 0.5 tackles, 1.4 contested marks

With McKay you are getting more shots at goal, more marking, more marking, more forward pressure, and he’s 10cm bigger which causes more matchup issues. Plus, he’s younger (both physically and in terms of maturity).

And I don’t think McKay is even Carlton’s best KP prospect, but at least there is a real path to stardom there. Similarly there’s a clear path to the Kinh brothers, Naughton, Hipwood etc - they can all do things that are potentially unstoppable for future defenders. Weideman strikes me as more of a good solid forward who might be reliable enough to build around but who hardly strikes terror into defenders

Oscar allen will be a force. Has a lot of mongrel i like him a lot.

he’s difficult to compare to his contemporaries - purely because unlike the others he’s playing behind 2 other strong key forwards

so as a third banana he’s likely to get less supply, but equally he gets a lesser defender

either way - it’s nice knowing we have a ready made replacement for jk when he pulls the pin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back