List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Jackson
Close thread pls
Not even close.

Already a very important player to Melbourne, but that's as much to do with the fact it allows us to release Gawn rather than individual brilliance. Don't get me wrong, he's tracking amazingly well, but has a long way to go. He's also never going to be a full time KPF.

McKay is a Lygon St urban legend. Will be considered young when he is 29, just like like Cripps is the tallest player in the AFL.

Would have thought the discussion should have been limited to players in their third season or less.

Why?

It's an AFL thing that accepts talls take longer to hit their straps.

If you changed KPF for ruck everyone would consider 23 still young.

Some of these young forwards are taller than some of the rucks.

In terms of raw value as a player, Naughton is the best and it isn't really close.

He actually has arguably the worst forward craft of them all, but he's such a beast of a specimen that he stands out the most. None of the others have the same physical presence or freak athleticism as he does.
I think this is pretty spot on.
Naughton can do things that no other player on this list or even in the league can but fundamental skills like set shot kicking or timing leads need improvement.
I'd be surprised if Naughton end up the highest goal scorer on this list for these reasons but he has the highest ceiling and is probably the most impactful.
His legacy will depend on how much he can improve on the simple things

We are all getting giddy about blokes like McKay and Naughton kicking bags but Charlie was dominating from day 1.

Dominating from day 1? 25 goals in his first 27 games and didn't kick more than 2 in a game until his third season.

Curnow has had one really big day out in his entire career (7 goals almost 2 years ago) and has a knee like a boiled potato.

Plus he's 192cm and more of a tweener than a true key forward.

Curnow has had one really big day out in his entire career (7 goals almost 2 years ago) and has a knee like a boiled potato.

Plus he's 192cm and more of a tweener than a true key forward.
More of a CHF.

His height didn't really matter. Was a marking machine:
  1. Insane tank.
  2. Reads the ball better than anyone else in this thread, including McKay (who is really just a physical freak but doesn't read it all that well).
  3. Takes the ball at its peak and protects the ball drop well.
In any case, would have been something special to see him and McKay in their primes, together. Now we'll never know.

Although Naughton has been lacking in terms of goal kicking this year I've loved what I've been seeing with his ground work pressure lately. Mckay a better forward imo but Naughton is of similar entertainment value to Curnow. Big leaps and some freaky stuff on the floor, always reckon these types are built for finals as the ball movement is far less traditional and turns into a bit of a fiesta.

Would love to see a blues finals berth this year to see the two go head to head potentially!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like a few of the players mentioned Curnow was probably always more hype then action and got a contract to match. ATM he is 24 with probably two elite AFL games to his name but I think easily had the highest ceiling of any Carlton player since Judd.
Fingers crossed we get to see him again.

Naughton not the greatest kick but what sets him apart is the competitiveness it's harder trait to come by.
Watch how he drops the ball...drops it with his right hand on his left foot! Works most of the time since he has strong hands.

In terms of raw value as a player, Naughton is the best and it isn't really close.

He actually has arguably the worst forward craft of them all, but he's such a beast of a specimen that he stands out the most. None of the others have the same physical presence or freak athleticism as he does.
Yep and he has a whole lot of campaigner in him on the field as well.

Tough, physical competitive beast.

He is top 2 or 3 easily of these players mentioned in terms of output but i absolutely think he has the highest ceiling because he still has a ton of improvement to come in terms of his forward craft.

When people look at the total goals Naughton has kicked I'm sure they're not forgetting that he played the entire first season as a defender.

I wonder how pivotal that was to his development into the best young key forward in the game?

When people look at the total goals Naughton has kicked I'm sure they're not forgetting that he played the entire first season as a defender.

I wonder how pivotal that was to his development into the best young key forward in the game?
Wasn't Naughton very highly regarded as a gun key back?

His versatility can be a very handy headache to have for the dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back