List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

rogiebear93

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Definitely benefits but is #1 for goals, marks inside 50 and contested marks for us this year. Teams are giving him plenty of attention when he is forward. Harry McKay for example gets less help but is targeted more often.

I think Allen is getting plenty of press. Brad Johnson has been on his bandwagon since he was drafted and Jono Brown said on Saturday he could be a top 2 player in the comp in a year or two.

Where I think the Allen hype drops off is that he's only 192cm/87kg. McKay (24) is ruckman sized and starting to really impact games. The Kings (still 20) are pretty raw. It's easy to see upside in those modern prototype key forwards. But then Hipwood is 24, Casboult is 31, Peter Wright is 25, Taberner is 28 etc. and those guys haven't taken off and become stars of the comp.
The only person drafted after 2006 to win a Coleman is Cameron. Pretty damning on all the "next big thing" forwards in the comp, seem to get pretty good early but plateau.

Reckon they're all a bit too tall now so maybe that bodes well for Allen.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
The only person drafted after 2006 to win a Coleman is Cameron. Pretty damning on all the "next big thing" forwards in the comp, seem to get pretty good early but plateau.

Reckon they're all a bit too tall now so maybe that bodes well for Allen.
Not sure the is the best metric to judge KPF by.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think Harry Jones will be in the conversation as best young KPF by seasons end. Looked great last night bar the nerves infront of goal. 4 shots on goal playing KP in your debut game is a great effort.
Got ridiculed at the time of saying it but that was a hell of a game from Harry today. He’s showing a lot for a skinny KPF.

master bate

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oscar Allen easily.

If he played for a Vic club, they wouldn't stop taking about him.
They already don't stop talking about him! Don't get me wrong he's incredibly talented but he gets more hype than the rest of the list, with Naughton only somewhat close.

Only Naughton and Allen can go back and play just as well

Not the point of the thread but just saying
I reckon Ben King would have a field day at centre half back, especially in a decent side. He was set to be a defender until Max got injured in the juniors.

Max wouldn't struggle either, just seems a bit less experienced and less well rounded at this stage, but he'd take plenty of marks not having to out body a defender.

amazingjoshy

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The King's are sensational players, both will be stars imo

But only two named in this thread have played both ends successfully at the highest level. It's a very big tick for both I reckon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems as good of a metric as any.

Buddy won his first Coleman at 21, Jack Riewoldt at 22 and they pretty much raffled it for the next 6 years.

For all the buzz about other young KPFs, where are their Coleman Medals?
None are producing anything outstanding. McKay who I wouldn’t really can young though is a strong chance of the Coleman this year at 23

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic
He looked very good today. I don't know much about him, but I would definitely be excited if I were a bombers' fan.
we all had him pegged as a 3rd tall, a la Gunston
And admittedly he's benefiting from Hooker (3rd in the coleman thanks), Wright and Stringer being in the side

What none of us saw was his hands being so strong. He reads the ball really well and just floats into the front of a pack and cuts it off.

Next up for us is Kaine Baldwin.
was rated 3rd best SA talent, but had 2x ACL's. Gonna be a nervous one every game if he makes it, but he looks a mountain of a kid at 18
legs like trees.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
None are producing anything outstanding. McKay who I wouldn’t really can young though is a strong chance of the Coleman this year at 23
Yeah, not sure McKay counts as a kid anymore.

Allen's the best for me, just in front of Naughton (i'd have Allen kicking for the game ahead of Naughton)
But reckon Ben King will be the best of the current crop.

Juddernaut08

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah, not sure McKay counts as a kid anymore.

Allen's the best for me, just in front of Naughton (i'd have Allen kicking for the game ahead of Naughton)
But reckon Ben King will be the best of the current crop.
McKay isnt a kid anymore. 2015 draft.

He is potentially the best forward in the league right now though.

Id take him over Walker in any case.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
McKay isnt a kid anymore. 2015 draft.

He is potentially the best forward in the league right now though.

Id take him over Walker in any case.
certainly putting a good season together.
Funny that he's sandwiched between two old guys having great seasons too.

Harry and Ben are the two i think can dominate the league

BJK#5

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Got ridiculed at the time of saying it but that was a hell of a game from Harry today. He’s showing a lot for a skinny KPF.
Because he has no kicked 6 goals in 7 games and been held goalless 4 times.

I am not shitting on the kid, he has some talent and who knows what he will be down the track. But he is currently not in the top 10 best young key forwards of the game, that is why people ridiculed you for throwing his name up.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I am not shitting on the kid, he has some talent and who knows what he will be down the track. But he is currently not in the top 10 best young key forwards of the game, that is why people ridiculed you for throwing his name up.
At the time he had just played his first game and looked very promising. I'm not saying he is currently in the conversation, saying by the end of the season I think he will be and yesterday performance showcased why. So your statement is factually incorrect.

BJK#5

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
At the time he had just played his first game and looked very promising. I'm not saying he is currently in the conversation, saying by the end of the season I think he will be and yesterday performance showcased why. So your statement is factually incorrect.
No it isn't, you gave an opinion that people disagreed with. A good game yesterday does not change that.

If i was to say Kozi will be in the top few by years end i reckon most people would clown me as well.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Kings, Allen, Naughton.
there's 4.

Who else?
On the back of his 7 games, he'd be tracking top 10 young forwards....mainly in the absence of too many of them being around.

Remove this Banner Ad