List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't rate Harry McKay as high as the others, especially in terms of ceiling/scope for improvement. He is a take mark/kick goal type player, which is exactly what you want in a key-forward, but doesn't have as many strings to his bow as some of the other guys.

Lazy 4 goals tonight for Naughton. Now 22.16 from 9 games, and one of the only key forwards in the comp to have kicked multiple goals in every game so far (Taberner the only other?).

Ben King is his equal, but I think they're pretty evidently the best two young key forwards. McKay better than both but given the age difference (and that he's approaching mid 20s) I wouldn't count him among the "young" guys anymore.

Naughton did much better but still managed to shank a ball from 45m out and not score.

Goal kicking is the only bit he needs to work on. Then he will be brilliant.

Naughton did much better but still managed to shank a ball from 45m out and not score.

Goal kicking is the only bit he needs to work on. Then he will be brilliant.
Yeah pretty clear weakness of his, but positive signs given in previous weeks he was struggling to convert even half his chances. Naughton and Max King are two who would be top of these rankings (even above McKay) if they could kick straight. Questionable whether either will ever develop that part of their game to be a strength

I think Reily Thilthorpe has the potential to be the best of the bunch. He has a level of agility and skills with the ball on the ground that the other 200cm+ boys don't.
With that said, how good is it to have the number of good tall forwards coming through. We went a while with bugger all of them.
"I think [player from my team] has the potential to be the best of the bunch."

:drunk:

Lazy 4 goals tonight for Naughton. Now 22.16 from 9 games, and one of the only key forwards in the comp to have kicked multiple goals in every game so far (Taberner the only other?).

Ben King is his equal, but I think they're pretty evidently the best two young key forwards. McKay better than both but given the age difference (and that he's approaching mid 20s) I wouldn't count him among the "young" guys anymore.
Looking good you would have to be real happy with the impact he is having considering he was recruited as a defender

Not much we could do he wanted to leave so we got a trade done no point trying to keep a player who doesn’t want to be there
From what i heard the Saints didnt want him no more, that was evident last year by supporters going by the frequent coments last year bagging him. Not just Saints people though. but people in general. People where not being understanding of the hub life being bad for some players that year. The way he is playing this year is his norm from what i knew of him.

McKay with one arm kicks 3 on May, could've kicked a few more if he wasnt one of the worst umpired players in the game.
A 50m penalty for manning the mark shenanigans, one not on May and otherwise rarely touched the ball.

Gets umpired like he's Mason Cox. Go anywhere near him and he wants a free kick.

I guess Cripps isn't getting his 5 free kicks a game just for turning up so you'd expect McKay to get them all instead?

A 50m penalty for manning the mark shenanigans, one not on May and otherwise rarely touched the ball.

Gets umpired like he's Mason Cox. Go anywhere near him and he wants a free kick.

I guess Cripps isn't getting his 5 free kicks a game just for turning up so you'd expect McKay to get them all instead?
1621160910102.png

You have literally no idea, this is how he gets handled literally every week at every contest, right after this went down the other end and kozi scored a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah pretty clear weakness of his, but positive signs given in previous weeks he was struggling to convert even half his chances. Naughton and Max King are two who would be top of these rankings (even above McKay) if they could kick straight. Questionable whether either will ever develop that part of their game to be a strength

If they could kick straight. You know, the most important thing for a forward to be able to do.

View attachment 1129550

You have literally no idea, this is how he gets handled literally every week at every contest, right after this went down the other end and kozi scored a goal.
Watch the video not a freeze frame.

Hunt makes a clean spoil without any contact and the ball drops away from McKay who's hooked his arm on the way down. You can't penalise defenders for clean spoils.

If you go freeze frame by freeze frame today I'd find Weideman getting whacked in the head or Fritsch repeatedly tackled in marking contests.

Most of the key forwards deserve more, but the only players averaging 2 or more free kicks are ruckmen, inside mids and the big American protected species.

Every fan thinks their forwards should get more, but this isn't a free kick.

I think Reily Thilthorpe has the potential to be the best of the bunch. He has a level of agility and skills with the ball on the ground that the other 200cm+ boys don't.
With that said, how good is it to have the number of good tall forwards coming through. We went a while with bugger all of them.
Have you heard of the King brothers?

TT will be up there, but he's got some pretty tough competition.

I don't rate Harry McKay as high as the others, especially in terms of ceiling/scope for improvement. He is a take mark/kick goal type player, which is exactly what you want in a key-forward, but doesn't have as many strings to his bow as some of the other guys.

He is on track to kick 80 goals this season if he keeps up the form. This in a s**t side.

I’ll take the one trick pony if the one trick is that good.

He is on track to kick 80 goals this season if he keeps up the form. This in a sh*t side.

I’ll take the one trick pony if the one trick is that good.
This doesn't mean as much as you think it does. Part of the reason your club qualifies as "a sh*t side" is because of how one-dimensional you are up forward, and how frequently you kick to McKay. You'd think a Carlton supporter would understand this after the Fevola days, assuming you were old enough to watch them.

Do you want to argue that Fevola was better than Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, Treadrea, etc? After all, Fev won a couple of Colemans in bad teams and those guys didn't win any. I guess Jack Riewoldt must be better than all of them too, because he won the Coleman in a terrible Richmond 2010 team.

This doesn't mean as much as you think it does. Part of the reason your club qualifies as "a sh*t side" is because of how one-dimensional you are up forward, and how frequently you kick to McKay. You'd think a Carlton supporter would understand this after the Fevola days, assuming you were old enough to watch them.

Do you want to argue that Fevola was better than Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt, Treadrea, etc? After all, Fev won a couple of Colemans in bad teams and those guys didn't win any. I guess Jack Riewoldt must be better than all of them too, because he won the Coleman in a terrible Richmond 2010 team.

Fev and Jack were/are as good as those guys, though it’s convenient you’ve compared three CHF/utilities to a couple of traditional full forwards to prove your point.

Good sides generally move the ball quicker and they use it better going I50. I don’t think it’s far fetched to suggest Harry’s output could improve in a better side (or even just a team with a midfield that could kick the ball half decent). Only 4 Coleman medalists have come from non finals teams since 2000. You can go back further if you’d like but I doubt you will.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back