List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i'm not sure about that.

Allen has fallen away this season because he's been moved around, first in ruck and then in defence. Subsequently it has impacted his game up forward.

At his best, Allen is a very good contested mark and a better set shot than Naughton. His versatility in being able to play multiple positions means he's a bigger asset than Naughton.

I'm not saying that it's 100% Allen > Naughton, but it's certainly not 100% the other way as you suggest.

I guarantee there would be many coaches that would take Allen over Naughton.
Allen will be a gun, but Naughton has the kind of weapons that look like he could be an absolutely dominant player. I’d be surprised if there were many coaches who would take Allen over him.

Yeah i'm not sure about that.

Allen has fallen away this season because he's been moved around, first in ruck and then in defence. Subsequently it has impacted his game up forward.

At his best, Allen is a very good contested mark and a better set shot than Naughton. His versatility in being able to play multiple positions means he's a bigger asset than Naughton.

I'm not saying that it's 100% Allen > Naughton, but it's certainly not 100% the other way as you suggest.

I guarantee there would be many coaches that would take Allen over Naughton.
I'm not arguing the whole Naughton vs Allen thing, but surely you can't think versatility only applies to Allen? Naughton got 4th in our best and fairest in his debut season playing as a key defender

Naughton and Max King are two who would be top of these rankings (even above McKay) if they could kick straight. Questionable whether either will ever develop that part of their game to be a strength
Max is a terrific kick of a football, but had some serious yips for about 12 months.

In his first 10 games last year he kicked 15-5, and in his last 7 he’s kicked 20-4, while in between he kicked an appalling 21-37 (plus other complete misses), from 19 games.

So outside of that 12 month period of the apparent yips, he’s kicked an incredibly accurate 35-9, from 17 games.

Last edited:

The king twins are both far far better kicks than Naughton. I just cant unsee some of the snaps Naughton has attempted this season. He's a phenom above his head but he would have to be up there with the worse kicks in the league. Gives the Kings the edge and they still have a lot of filling out with their bodies. Naughton looks like he's about 29 already, can't see him putting on much muscle in the future without losing his spring.

Max got bullied last week by the Carlton defence. In particular Newman and Weitering.

He seemed to go into his shell when they started physically and verbally getting in to him.

Disappointing that no St.Kilda players helped him out.

Expect to see other teams to do it again.

Weitering is a good defender. When King is 25 he won't have too many capable of bullying him.

He kicked 3 of them in the first 10 minutes.

The 4th was a free kick wasn't it?
Doesn’t refute my point. He’s showing glimpses of what he can do without being consistent. 34 goals already in his second year of playing. 20 in his past 7. Once he gets stronger and develops consistency, all signs point in the right direction.

Doesn’t refute my point. He’s showing glimpses of what he can do without being consistent. 34 goals already in his second year of playing. 20 in his past 7. Once he gets stronger and develops consistency, all signs point in the right direction.
Max King is showing some of the best signs of this group along with B. King and Naughton, don't get sucked in by the trolls.

Had a super impressive last few weeks. Opposition supporters love a scapegoat unfortunately, and that turned out to be Max when he had his misgivings in front of goal. The fact that he was getting that many opportunities was impressive in itself.

He kicked 3 of them in the first 10 minutes.

The 4th was a free kick wasn't it?
I would have thought it was clear to anyone watching that the reason Max only kicked 1 more goal after his 3rd (16 mins into the 1st) was that Carlton dominated the game from that point on (kicking 14 of the next 18 goals) and we barely got the ball anywhere near him.

Which was a huge shame, as he was absolutely on fire (had kicked 9 goals in his last 3 and-a-half quarters of footy).

It was like our game against Richmond early in the year when he was dominating Balta early on when we were playing well, but then the rest of the team completely switched off and we again barely got it near him for the last 2.5 quarters, and lost by 80.

Last edited:

Of course it does.

Not only does it refute your point, but it also renders it totally irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought it was clear to anyone watching that the reason Max only kicked 1 more goal after his 3rd (16 mins into the 1st) was that Carlton dominated the game from that point on and we barely got the ball anywhere near him.

Which was a huge shame, as he was absolutely on fire (had kicked 9 goals in his last 3 and-a-half quarters of footy).

It was like our game against Richmond early in the year when he was dominating Balta early on when we were playing well, but then the rest of the team completely switched off and we again barely got it near him for the last 2.5 quarters, and lost by 80.
King deserved all the frees IMO and, he seized his moments when the delivery i50 was good. The next 3 quarters were less about King and more about team performance.

Nice to see Maxy give it back to Rampe. He’s slowly realising how damaging he can be and become.

It's inevitable that young players with ability will get targeted physically and verbally.

It's so important that they show very eaely on that it won't work.

You either do it Nick Riewoldt style and run them ragged and not stand still long enough for anyone to bully you.

Or do it Franklin style and give them a savage rag dolling so they won't try it again.

Or do it Brett Heady style and just keep getting the pill and show them that they're wasting their time.

Ultimately, if they see that it puts you off your game, they'll do it every week.

Last week, it got to King. He went into his shell a bit when they ganged up on him.

Rampe and Longmire clearly noticed it, and tried it.

Great to see King not stand for it this time. Needs to nip it in the bud early in his career.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back