List Mgmt. Best young key forward in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know. Lots can happen with KPF's as we've seen.

On raw talent alone, I'd take Max King.
On the trust in a player to develop to his potential. The Kings from a distance.

Max looked ultra impressive matched up against Weitering, really knows how to use that massive frame and a height, coming off a knee and 1st real season of senior footy, when he gets stronger and builds a tank, kids going to be a serious footballer.

Max looked ultra impressive matched up against Weitering, really knows how to use that massive frame and a height, coming off a knee and 1st real season of senior footy, when he gets stronger and builds a tank, kids going to be a serious footballer.
Looked good against Andrews as well. Can see he is going to be a monster in a few years if he stays fit

I think you have to give Naughton the number 1 spot because of his runs on the board but the King twins definitely have just as high of a ceiling.
Well technically if you want to talk about runs on the board and the most important factor for key forwards is kicking goals then I think Hipwood leads the pack by a fair way. I think he has kicked about 60 more goals than the next best.

(Note Im mostly taking the piss and personally would love to have either of the Kings or Naughton. They would massively improve our team right now)

Looked good against Andrews as well. Can see he is going to be a monster in a few years if he stays fit

He had a very “almost” game against you guys, even made a few uncharacteristic bad decisions like kicking into the man on the mark early in the game when trying to hit a lead as well as some other errors- but if he nailed those 2 set shots it reads like a good game, he even got first hands to quite a few entries only for Andrews to come through a split second later and punch it out of his hands, which Max wouldn’t be used to- Andrews is one of the few key defenders with athletic ability who can match him for height. Good learning experience for him, can’t wait until he puts on some more size and starts sticking ~3 more marks a game and then the comp is gonna have issues holding him.

He had a very “almost” game against you guys, even made a few uncharacteristic bad decisions like kicking into the man on the mark early in the game when trying to hit a lead as well as some other errors- but if he nailed those 2 set shots it reads like a good game, he even got first hands to quite a few entries only for Andrews to come through a split second later and punch it out of his hands, which Max wouldn’t be used to- Andrews is one of the few key defenders with athletic ability who can match him for height. Good learning experience for him, can’t wait until he puts on some more size and starts sticking ~3 more marks a game and then the comp is gonna have issues holding him.
Totally agree. Those two are going to have some great contests coming over the years

At the moment based on what they have delivered so far my list would look as follows:

1. Naughton - freak and very enjoyable to watch in full flight. Amazing attack on the footy in the air. I hope he stays healthy, will be great viewing for a decade
2. Curnow - what he has been able to do (although inconsistently) in what was a very poor blues side when he started shouldnt be overlooked.
3. Hipwood - benefits from a strong midfield and plenty of opportunities with fwd50 entries. needs to make more of his opportunities but talent is undeniable
4. B King - super impressed with what he has been able to do in GC as the main forward surrounded by other young kids and with the burden of carrying that forward line mostly alone up until recently
5. O Allen - one of the few who has rucked as much as played fwd(at least appears to) + has kennedy and darling to protect him while he develops
6. M King - As good a 1st year as you could realistically ask for from a 200cm+ key forward off a ACL. looks like he is about to take a game over at any stage but i think is still a ways off. Will be the top of this list in a few years
7. weideman - only started to notice him the past few months but have been impressed and dees have a beauty if he can stay on the park.
8. McKay - possibly to low on the list, big, strong and i like him as a player but i just couldnt justify him above any others.

Naughton over the 2 x Kings. At the moment.

I accept that he is in his 3rd season and Ben King his 2nd and Max his 1st, and has played over 40 games to 27 and 12, so has the exposure advantage.

In the long run I suspect that these three will all be long term stars of the competition. And comparing will be a bit like 'my gold bar's better than your gold bar'. type of thing.

Oscar Allan at #4.

Yeah Naughton was really impressive kicking 6 goals against the Crows witches hats but he still struggles against good defenders. laughable that people rate him ahead of Max King or even Ben King.

Let's see how he goes tomorrow, I doubt he'll find it so easy against Steven May.

I’ve seen young key forwards do worse against May.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May was on Membrey for most of the match.

No he wasn’t.

King will be a star, just pointing out the ridiculousness of your fellow Saint fans post on Naughton. Every young forward in this poll will have down games, particularly against quality opposition.

If all 18 AFL coaches were allowed to pick one of King, Naughton or Larkey for their teams every single one of them would pick King ahead of the other two.

Let's not pretend otherwise.
Plugger, there’s more of a chance of the 18 coaches picking Jack Billings Over the Bont than the coaches picking Max King over Aaron Naughton.

I thought Naughton played a strong game on Friday night. Just didn’t get the opportunities in the 2nd half because of the lack of possession by the dogs. What’s strange is the stat that they went to Bruce 10 times and Naughton 4 times. They need to go to him more.

A concern I harbour about both Kings is when they are required to bulk up will they lose a yard of pace and still not be able to compete with the power defenders across the comp?

Pretty similar concern I have for Tim English to albeit not a key forward. Isn’t strong enough to play his position and could ruin his best asset (his mobility) by trying to become the monster ruck. Has happened to a lot of 200cm+ players.

Good thread, reckon I'd go:

1. Aaron Naughton - Dogs have finally found a key forward, good on them. One of the best contested marks in the game, kicks goals, changes games. Hasn't had a massive 2020 but played his best games against the better performing clubs in 2019 - 5 goals against Richmond, 4 against the Cats. 7 brownlow votes last year as a 19yo key forward is a massive return.

2. Charlie Curnow - Just behind Naughton. Some reliability concerns but when he's up and running he is a big, strong endurance athlete who can take a contested grab. Very hard to match up on.

3. Max King - Think he'll be the better of the King brothers and they both look like stars. Big, strong, athletic, agile. Could be the best of this list with time.

4. Ben King - Similar attributes to his brother but going on junior form Max will be the better of the two.

5. Oscar Allan - Just ahead of Todd Marshall because he can ruck as well

6. Todd Marshall - Has come along a mile in the last year or two. Port's drafting has been brilliant.

7. Sam Weideman - Takes marks, kicks straight, which is all you can really ask for. Good player but unreliable.

8. Eric Hipwood - Hasn't come along like Brisbane might have liked but still has a lot of very promising attributes. If he can put some strength on between now and age 26-27 he could still be a very good player.

9. Harry McKay - patches of good form where he has looked promising but goes missing a lot, too. Might not have it between the ears.

10. Nick Larkey - haven't seen enough of him, Tom McCartin - haven't seen enough of him
Don't see how you can have Weideman ahead of Harry.
Screenshot_20200830-124841.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back