Player Watch Best young Key Forwards -Curnow,Hipwood,Naughton,McKay, King Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Naughton is exciting because he is so young, is only in his second season in the AFL and first as a forward and is #1 in the comp for contested marks. Never mind the 'my guy is a bit better than your guy at XYZ', he's taken more contested marks than Jeremy McGovern, Ben McEvoy, Tom Lynch...

McKay (2nd for contested marks) is massive. He's taller than any of our 3 ruckmen and is playing forward. Who is he going to end up like? Paul Salmon? Looks mature for his age.

Hipwood is another giant. Makes me a bit nervous because he's played nearly 4 seasons now and is hovering. I hope he's a Josh Kennedy who after a couple of 20, 30, 40 goal seasons will have a break out 60 goal year and not a Charlie Dixon (harsh on him given he is always injured) who is a level below but teases with the odd big game.

It's a shame Curnow got injured. Played closer to goal and exploded once Bolton got the chop. Bit smaller and more agile than the others.

I've been frothing Naughton since he was 17 and beating up WAFL key forwards who were 10 years his superior. Wanted the Pies to draft him narrowly over Stephenson but I'd have ended up happy either way as it turns out.

He's a special one. Very confident he'll be the best on this list.
Better than Charlie?

Out of the best young key forwards listed .... who kicked the most goals last weekend?

If we’re going to base opinions on quality off one weekend, then I guess Josh Dunkley is the greatest player that has ever lived :eek:

Has done both. imo darling has too since kennedys fall

I was looking at Curnow over the next few seasons, Darling has grown as a player over the past 18 months for sure.

McKay is way off being a consistent key forward, but he is younger (close on 2 years) & being taller will likely take longer to mature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was looking at Curnow over the next few seasons, Darling has grown as a player over the past 18 months for sure.

McKay is way off being a consistent key forward, but he is younger (close on 2 years) & being taller will likely take longer to mature.
Strange comment on McKay. Already finding plenty of it, just gotta fix his kicking. Consistency for marking and possessions is not what he's lacking.

Put him in a strong team like WCE this year and possible he'd be your best or 2nd best this year.

Naughton by a stretch for mine.

Love his game, love his attack on the ball and he's so versatile.

For a kid to come in and hold down a Key Defensive role in his first year, and acquit himself well - then completely switch ends and become a focal point at the other end of the ground. Super impressive.

Strange comment on McKay. Already finding plenty of it, just gotta fix his kicking. Consistency for marking and possessions is not what he's lacking.

Put him in a strong team like WCE this year and possible he'd be your best or 2nd best this year.

That good already, not sure he'd push out Kennedy or Darling, & he's a couple of years older than Oscar Allen so stats arent fair measures.
Key forwards need to kick bags of goals, & I dont think he's there yet.

so who do you consider he is comparable to, not Cripps please, he's 24 & around 100 games.
While last year he was playing the big inside role he had a pretty interrupted preseason (glandular I think it was) so has been playing a bit more outside/HFF flank. Also adding Neale and Lyons has let him take a lighter role in the team this year.

What his role into the future is I have no idea. He can play big inside, he can tag (played on Fyfe last year I think), and can mark and deliver into the forward line really well (might be rated second behind Zorko at the club for that)

While last year he was playing the big inside role he had a pretty interrupted preseason (glandular I think it was) so has been playing a bit more outside/HFF flank. Also adding Neale and Lyons has let him take a lighter role in the team this year.

What his role into the future is I have no idea. He can play big inside, he can tag (played on Fyfe last year I think), and can mark and deliver into the forward line really well (might be rated second behind Zorko at the club for that)

Not a key forward role.

No love for Josh Schache in this thread.........ok, i will leave now.

He has potential but hes missing something people over look in key forwards and thats presence. He doesnt have the aura about him that makes defenders a bit nervous or makes them double take. Not intimidating enough is probably the biggest thing.

Dont get me wrong, players can and do become good forwards without this particular trait BUT they tend to have ways to over come that. Speed, work rate, aerial smarts, these things can help. I dont think Schache has much besides his height and his work rate, which is reasonable.

Curnow seems to have the all around ability in a similar vein to Wayne Carey - no obvious area where you can target him to keep him down.
Naughton is probably closest to Curnow as an all-rounder KPF.
Hipwood is an athletic freak - almost Buddy II (lite?), and probably will be if/when he fills out.
Mckay - strong presence. Not sure he has the footy nous the others have though.

Hawk supporters mentioning Lewis are right to do so based on the potential he showed last season at BHH, but he is one more pre-season away from breaking out in the seniors IMO. Potentially as good as Curnow and Naughton. He just does so many of the crucial things for a KPF exceptionally well.

It's even more heart warming that he was selected so late in the draft!
Who needs first round picks?!! :D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back