Best Youth in the league - best teams in 3-5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS by some distance I would have thought

A+: Shiel, Cameron
A: Haynes, Coniglio, Whitfield, Cameron McCarthy
B+: Hoskin-Elliot, Kelly, Steele
B: D Smith, Greene

Doesnt include: Buntine, Patton, Ahern, Pickett and other recent high pick draftees.

As a reference to the bulldogs:

A+: Bont
A: Libba, Stringer
B+: Macrae
B: Dahlhaus, JJ, Wallis, Hunter

GWS is very strong at the top end.

In 3 years how does GWS pay for all that talent?

More concessions? Or do you think it likely at least some will chase the $$$ elsewhere?

In 3 years how does GWS pay for all that talent?

More concessions? Or do you think it likely at least some will chase the $$$ elsewhere?

Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead, Rioli, Lewis, Smith, Frawley are all 500k+ players a year. Some are taking under that to keep a flag list together.

Why could Geelong (Ablett, Scarlett, Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Chapman, Corey etc) and Hawthorn do that but not GWS?

They have some quality leaders around now who can sell the premise of sticking together for a flag. Guys like WHE, Greene, Smith are your classic "have to accept unders" because they will be a part of a flag that is largely helped by having superstars like Shiel & Cameron.

Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Gibson, Roughead, Rioli, Lewis, Smith, Frawley are all 500k+ players a year. Some are taking under that to keep a flag list together.

Why could Geelong (Ablett, Scarlett, Johnson, Bartel, Enright, Chapman, Corey etc) and Hawthorn do that but not GWS?

They have some quality leaders around now who can sell the premise of sticking together for a flag. Guys like WHE, Greene, Smith are your classic "have to accept unders" because they will be a part of a flag that is largely helped by having superstars like Shiel & Cameron.

Hawks have won flags. Maybe if GWS won flags the comparison works.

And you listed Hawk older players who are aiming to create a legacy. Again doesnt compare with GWS.

Hawks have won flags. Maybe if GWS won flags the comparison works.

And you listed Hawk older players who are aiming to create a legacy. Again doesnt compare with GWS.

I doubt those young GWS players are in a different mindset than what Hodge & Co were early on.

If they become successful why can't GWS do the same as Hawks and Geelong have done?

GWS by some distance I would have thought

A+: Shiel, Cameron
A: Haynes, Coniglio, Whitfield, Cameron McCarthy
B+: Hoskin-Elliot, Kelly, Steele
B: D Smith, Greene

Doesnt include: Buntine, Patton, Ahern, Pickett and other recent high pick draftees.

As a reference to the bulldogs:

A+: Bont
A: Libba, Stringer
B+: Macrae
B: Dahlhaus, JJ, Wallis, Hunter

GWS is very strong at the top end.
GWS, WB and Collingwood all looking ominous at this stage. I'd like to think the crows are ahead of Freo and NM :)p:p:p) with its group of youngsters (ie those born in 1993 and after - which seems to be the cut-off used here).

The following guys should play regular AFL this year (injuries permitting): B Crouch, Jake Lever, Rory Laird, Charlie Cameron, Matt Crouch, Troy Menzel, Riley Knight, Wayne Milera, Curtley Hampton and Rory Atkins. That's basically half our side aged under 23. This doesn't include Luke brown who is 23 but doesn't make the 1993 cut off.

Honestly would take Brisbane's youth over all others except GWS and the Bullies. I am biased most definitely, but the talent just runs very deep. Will take a few years to make finals with an incredibly inexperienced team though. I think West Coast and Hawthorn's youth shouldn't be underestimated either.

Honestly would take Brisbane's youth over all others except GWS and the Bullies. I am biased most definitely, but the talent just runs very deep. Will take a few years to make finals with an incredibly inexperienced team though. I think West Coast and Hawthorn's youth shouldn't be underestimated either.

I may have missed it but I see nothing special with Hawthorn's youth coming through

I may have missed it but I see nothing special with Hawthorn's youth coming through
In 3-5 years Smith, Hill, Duryea, McEvoy, Stratton, Shiels, Langford, Breust, Rioli, Gunston and probably Roughead, Frawley and Lewis will still be there playing good footy. Not totally sure, but I think they have at least a handful of promising kids in reserves. I think they're still a top 4 team in 3-5 years unfortunately.

Because Clarko doesnt rush them. He plays them when they are ready. Its unusual to see kids playing a lot of games early. Brad Hill would be one of the few to get a lot of game time before age 20 - from the last 6 or 7 years.

This year we will see a lot of football from Howe, Brand, Heatherley, and O'Rourke. And continuing development from Duryea, Langford, Hill and other players with a couple of years under the belt.

Or maybe Clarko got it all wrong and we are about to go backwards...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't matter who has the best kids, the hawks,cats and swans will keep topping up with the best free agency picks and academy players and nothing will change.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Errr... How is Stringer not A+? All Australian, 56 goals in just his third year? Coming back from missing almost whole TAC cup year with a bad broken leg. Haynes, Coniglio, Whitfield, McCarthy(why is he even on this list atm?) will be lucky to even make a single All Australian ever. Joke.

Whitfield and Coniglio are A but Macrae is B+ ? You might want to check their stats. Macrae is younger than both yet averaged 26.8 disposals in his 2nd year and 26.4 and 4 clearances last year (his 3rd year). Infact his 2nd year is statistically better than any year either of them have played in their careers and he deservingly came 2nd in our BnF for it, whilst neither of those boys have finished top 4 in their BnF in a weaker team.

Dahlhaus and Devon Smith a rank below Hoskin-LOLiot? Ok, now you're just making s**t up.

GWS no doubt have the most young talent in the league but you might want to double check your list. Or triple check.

I'll give you Stringer.

Haynes, Coniglio, Whitefiled, McCarthy lucky to even make a single AA? have you ever watched a GWS game?

Whitfield and Coniglio are far better by foot by Macrae. Statistics doesnt really fully capture effectiveness by foot. If Macrae improves his kicking he would be A+.

WHE has a very high ceiling and had a strong purple patch before tailing off. Much higher than that of Smith and Dahlhaus.

Having said all that, I also happen to rate Dahlhaus and Macrae alot higher than what other WB BF supporters rate them, you can find posts from me years ago defending them when others wanted them traded.

I've contributed to these kinds of threads numerous times, but 'best youth' means nothing... Now and in the future.
Maturity and coaching/leadership is a much bigger factor in success. Instead of arguing about whether their youth is the best or not, doggies supporters should be celebrating how good Luke Beveridge is. I know it's only been 1 year but I think he's second behind Clarkson.

On bigfooty it does - youth is everything here. It is only on the field that youth is a liability.

I remember when Atley, Hansen, Ziebell and Harper were all going to be superstars.

North fans were big offenders in the "we're young now so will be great later"

I remember when Atley, Hansen, Ziebell and Harper were all going to be superstars.

North fans were big offenders in the "we're young now so will be great later"
Those were the days! Our team was so ordinary we were reduced to sad state of talking up our youth. I recall that at the time the near universal agreement was that melbourne had the best young players. Apparently they still do.

Those were the days! Our team was so ordinary we were reduced to sad state of talking up our youth.

Looks kind of funny when one is now delisted, one is a vfl level player and the other two are sporadically good but largely average.

Then again I used to think Cameron Faulkner was going to be a star based on one game agains north at Manuka in the early 2000s. Next Andrew McLeod they said. A decade later I was facing him in some s**t country league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back